Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
Neilert
Regular
Regular

New CJ 11a

Post by Neilert »

Hello from Kansas!

I'm new to the audio world, but have wanted to participate for around 20 years.

Just set up a Conrad Johnson Premier 11a in my home office and LOVE it.

For now I'm using a Schiit Valhalla II as a tube preamp/ volume control, and ordered a Schiit Mani as a phono stage for a 1981 Oracle turntable. Can't wait to hook it up!

I will have many questions-

Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: New CJ 11a

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Neilert,

Outstanding! Prem11A is a wonderful power amp. When matched with an equally good preamp, the synergy is simply superb. Really like you TT, Oracle is totally cool stuff- enjoy!

Many years ago (around 2000/2001), I was using a Prem11A with a PFR and subsequently a PV12 to drive a pair of Mangneplanars-MG3.5/R. Although the 70 watts delivered from the Prem11A didn't seem adequate to drive a pair of large ribbons, the musicality was outstanding. It was able to drive the maggies within limits and did a remarkable job with the soundstage. Prior to this I had just taken delivery of a MF2300, which was able to drive the maggies with ease and greater control in the bass. However, it didn't have that lush mid-range, airy highs and smooth sort of rounded bass. After that I bi-amped, using the MF2300 for bass & the Prem11A for mids/highs to drive the panel. Sound quality improved, better dynamics, impact, transient control etc., but again that full well-balanced overall presentation was lacking compared to driving the maggies with the Prem11A entirely on its own. Eventually the MF2300 was sold off to a chap who had a pair of Infinities, that was a far better match, the Infinities acted like it had finally met a long lost partner.

The Prem11A is also a beautiful looking amp, truly a work of art. I currently have a Classic 60SE, and it is butt ugly!
Anyway, most of my listening is done after hours way beyond midnight, so the ugliness of the Classic60 is not so apparent...
The music is superb though, I guess that's what counts.

What's the cartridge on the Oracle? is your phonostage solid state or tubes? and what speakers are you using?
Looks like a highly musical sounding system, enjoy to the fullest and welcome to the family of c-j.
Cheers, RJ
Neilert
Regular
Regular

Post by Neilert »

Hey RJ, thank you for the warm welcome and history on your experience with an 11A!

The Oracle had a new cartridge in the tone arm box. It is a Grace F-9, now mounted on the Magnepan Unitrac I.

To get up and running fast my plan is to use the ridiculously affordable solid state Mani, with a tube Valhalla II (which is intended to be a headphone amp but has preamp out). When my savings account recovers I like the idea of a PV12 and tube phono stage.

Not sure what I will do for speakers. I have a set of acoustic research M1's wired currently.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, super cool setup. Simple but really elegant. The turntable looks great. My brother owns some schiit headphone equipment and he really raves about it. Great bang for your buck. Of course my favorite is the CJ amp! Welcome to the site.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Neilert
Regular
Regular

Post by Neilert »

I have agreed to the purchase of a set of Altec Valencia 846B speakers, and will pick them up next week. Very Excited! I haven't ever heard a set in person but they should work well with this setup- thoughts?

Neil
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Neil,
Those Altec's look interesting. Reminds me of a hybrid between a tannoy and klipsch design. Should work pretty well with the prem11a, relatively easy load I would think.
Do let us know how it sounds.

If I'm correct you mentioned that this was an office setup, must be some pretty nice tunes coming through that office. .. Have you got a large enough space for the Altec's? They look quite big.

I do remember the last owner who bought my prem11a had the top of the line tannoy west ministers, and he absolutely loved the sound. He said that was all he ever required and that was totally satisfying he couldn't be happier. I must try to contact him again to check if he still has this system, going back to 2003.

Anyway, enjoy and let us know the updates Cheers,
RJ
Neilert
Regular
Regular

Post by Neilert »

I agree the Altec's look very similar to the Klipsch design- not sure which came first.

My space is way too small for this setup (home office), but I just couldn't help from buying the big 846B's only an hour from my house. I had a set of large Klipsch when I was in high school. Not sure which ones but they were crisp and LOUD. I'll be curious to see if I still like the sound out of big old speakers.