New member from Tennessee

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
Righttrack
Beginner
Beginner

New member from Tennessee

Post by Righttrack »

Sooo, I finally joined a website after all these years. Maybe it is age or just the respect and homage to CJ Design.
On site, I am Righttrack but my name is Larry. Lived a lot of places but Tennessee is my place of choice.
My first Preamp was an ARC SP 9 MK II and then a couple years later I discovered the PV 12/phono edition. That was in 1995 to the best of my fading memory.
A lot of gear passed through my hands but I ended up a CJD devotee.
Years of moving and storage later, I am finally using my system again.
I appreciate all the insights by the members here at CJO. Very informative and useful info from members.
CJD is a great independent audio designer/manufacturer.
A lot of companies have sold or sold out but CJD is hanging in there.
I have a lot of gear from years of audio love. CJD occupies an important place in my enjoyment of audio.
Long live CJD!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New member from Tennessee

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site Larry. I have the PV12 as well (although not the phono edition which I hear is excellent). If you have time post some pics of your setup, sounds really great. Again, great to have you with us!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Righttrack
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Righttrack »

Hi, will get help from my son on the pics. Finally got it set up. Beats storage.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Larry,

Great to know you have a pv12. That was one of cj's top runners in their "pv preamp series for many glorious years". Still to this day, it beats the hec out of far more costly gear. Never heard the phono stage though, only the line stage with a Rega phono stage, driving a pair of Quads ESL63 with a prem-11A and using Gradient subs with the ESL63's. The prem 11A was modified to the "xs" version, which had EL34 tubes and half the power, somewhere around just 35 watts. Probably one of the best soundstages I have ever experienced at the time, and this is dating back to the mid 90's. The humble chap who passed away few years ago, was known as the cj-Quad guru in town. Every preamp regardless of cost that came in and out of his listening room, could not match the pv12 in terms of overall musicality and control. Sure there were far better cj preamps that came to the market at a far higher price category but the pv12 remained as one of the all time true value products that money could buy. Similarly, the classic SE is one of those next preamps that is truly special with a remarkable performance to price ratio, it is so dam hard to beat.

I so called upgraded from the pv12 to the PFR, and remember asking Lew himself what he thought. His answer was 2 simple points:
1. If I was using the prem 12 mono's with the pfr, I would find that system quite pleasing driving maggies.
2. If I was not happy with the overall lush midrange, airy highs, lively presence and smoothness all round, just to stick with the pv12

Boy! was he right... forwarding to the year 2013 when I did have the classic SE for a short while, all those fond memories of the pv12 just came in from the heavens, what a beautiful sounding preamp. Not only does it do its job right, it also "just sounds right!" Wonder where I've heard that before...
Good one mate, and enjoy that pv12. By the way, what's the rest of your system, power amp, speakers, source etc. Curious to know, any Quads in there?
Cheers, RJ