Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

New member from Missouri

Post by Billy Budapest »

Hello All,

I am new to CJO.com but I have owned my c-j CAV-50 for about 15 years. I recently purchased a McCormack UDP-1 Deluxe Conrad Johnson Edition. My c-j system is as follows:

c-j CAV-50
McCormack UDP-1 Deluxe CJE
Gallo Reference Strada 2
REL T-5
Oppo HA-1
Sota Comet Series III, RB300, Shelter 501 II
Lehmann Audio Black Cube
Schiit Wyrd

I will probably substitute a c-j HD3 for the Oppo HA-1 and move the HA-1 to another system.

Cheers!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New member from Missouri

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site, it's great to have you. Love to see some pics of the setup!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Billy Budapest »

Certainly!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 303 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looks awesome. I see you are into headphones as well, cool. The Strada speakers are such an interesting design. Overall great setup.... of course my favorite is the CJ amp! :)
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one mate!
That Cav 50 is a wonderful sounding amp. I clearly remember way back in 99/2000 or thereabouts, one of my very old mates, who was also the dealer for cj at the time, just took shipment of a new cj integrated. We unpacked it and it looked kind of odd... Slanted transformer top cover, slim EL34's, very simple layout with just two control knobs and smaller input tubes in the front, nothing that we were used to from cj. At his showroom, we were used to the bigger prem 11, prem 12's & prem 8's. Also had a few much older power amps and pre's such as the pv12, pv8 with Prem 1 and old ARC amps.
Anyway, the cav 50 was brand new, just unpacked and so we just hooked it up to the nearest high-end monitors that were lying around (the Sonus Faber cremona something, can't remember the exact model) and when the music played- WOW! It was simply superb in terms of detail, resolution, smoothness and musicality to the core. We couldn't stop listening to it and so we closed the shop early that day, grabbed some beers from the shops and just sat there till past 10pm just listened...

The wife was not happy but I took her to the store the next day and gave her a demo of the same combination, she was very surprised. At that time my own system was the PFR partnered with a prem11A and prem 12's driving maggies MG3.5/R. Although the sound/stage/performance was very impressive, it did not give that level of musicality from the smaller SF's with the cav 50. This is going back nearly 16 years and I remember the sound very clearly.
We didn't even have any fancy cable like top of the line Nordost or some ridiculously prices interconnects, just standard red dawn from Nordost and Blue heaven interconnects. The sound was marvelous! I guess the room factor played a huge role as well, since it was not too big and well padded. Even that was not anything fancy with room treatment or anything of the sorts. Just a plain old couch and some curtains to cover the bare walls.

Great amp the cav 50 is I must say and those EL34's match extremely well with a magical midrange and super soundstage. We later drove my older paid of Quads with the cav 50, and that was simply marvelous as well with the ESL 63. I haven't heard your Gallo's but I am sure you are in musical bliss with that cav 50. Great stuff indeed, cj has always delivered, never a dull product. Look after it well mate, there really is nothing to replace the cav 50 with tubes, although cj made a few solid state devices, that lush midrange with airy highs, and lively presentation was hard to beat on their tube designs.

Enjoy your music and have a good one, cheers
RJ