Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
mlinvpp
Regular
Regular

New CJO from Sydney Australia

Post by mlinvpp »

Hi All,

I am a newbie and consider myself lucky to own a pair of CJ Premier 12 mono blocks.
I know tube amps need a bit more attention compare to solid state amp, I may need help from time to time, hope you don't mind.

Cheers

Michael
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New CJO from Sydney Australia

Post by admin »

Michael,
Welcome to the site, it's great to have you with us. Congrats on the Premier 12's, very nice. If you have time, would love to see some pics of your setup and a more detailed hardware list. Have a great day!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
mlinvpp
Regular
Regular

Post by mlinvpp »

Thanks Admin for the warm welcome, i won't feel much embarrassment since i am new. please let me know if there is a better way to do things here.
I have the Premier twelves from a audio addict ( we all are in a way ), he couldn't find the users manual, I wonder if you can point me to the right direction to get one, mainly I want to know the speaker load settings.
Current set up:
CAT SL-1 MK3 pre + CJ Premier 12.
Just install the Tung-Sol KT120s, they do make a audible difference in a good way of course.
Submitting my first attachment, wish me luck.
Attachments
CJ P12.jpg
CJ P12.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 1481 times
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate,

Greetings from Melb. The greatest city in the world... for high-end audio and all your great food!

Hey mate, those Tannoy's look superb. I bet that's plenty of overkill power for Tannoy's. I can certainly relate to this, going back nearly 17+ years, my former company chairman, had a pair of Tannoy Westminister's driven with McIntosh amps. When I moved over to Melb, he took my prem 11A and was absolutely overjoyed with combination. At that time, I was using the prem11A and 12's on my older maggies, MG3.5/R. Great stuff and very impressive soundstage however I think the Tannoy's were a far better combination or with Klipsch horns for that matter. Initially I discovered the match made in heaven with cj & Quads, and that is what I have now gone full circle since the 80's...

I must say, you are definitely in musical heaven with that combination, this would certainly be another superb system to listen to for endless hours. I was just wondering whether you have enough room for those Tannoy's to breathe? The room my chairman had his WM's was the size of a cricket pitch. I have heard Tannoy's in many superb systems, and can clearly remember the layout of all of them. Plenty of room at the back and sides to allow them to open up and angled slightly like you've done. However, unlike Quads or pannels, they don't require to be brought out in to the listening room well away from the back wall, and can be placed within reasonable space. I think the distance between them is the more or less the key for them to open up, and as far as I can remember they don't take much power to really open up either.

How have you set them up and what are the measurements? Is the soundstage quite spectacular with the perm 12's driving the Tannoy's, and what Tannoy models are these, I get confused between all of them but the dual concentric cone is well established with Tannoy's and I feel is second to none in this regard. Tannoy has done designed this extremely well with superb engineering, only a few could match.
Have you ever had to go through the de-coning kit? I had to replace them for my chairman and was too tipsy after a few beers, never got it right. Eventually had to send the entire speaker across to Singapore to fix it. The agents in Spore had inquired on the person who had tried to fix the cones, still to this day they don't know who messed it up! This is what happens when you drink and cone...

Beautiful Tannoy's by the way, absolute stunners! Look after them well and don't forget to apply high grade linseed oil once a year to give the cabinets that superb finish! Enjoy and hope I could perhaps listen to your system one day if I do happen to visit Sydney sometime in Jan. Would certainly learn a lot from this experience. Good on you mate,
cheers, RJ
mlinvpp
Regular
Regular

Post by mlinvpp »

Hi mate,

Good to know another music lover in OZ, I agree with you 100% that Melbourne is THE city to live, I had a house in Airport West (Near Niddrie)few years back and stayed there on and off for 7 years, love Melbourne, coffee, food, music, endless events, wine...... and the city lane ways.
About the room, the floor tiles give away the secret, they are 30cm x 30cm tiles. it's a big room where the speakers are, it has 5.7m high ceiling, I had a few integrated and pre & power amps but find the CJ matched better than others with the bright speaker cables. It was a hard decision to choice between CJ pre & power and Jadis class A integrated amps. they are so close in performance but sound different. Jadis sounds better with vocal and chamber music, but CJs are a over roll killer.
The speaker model is Tannoy Canterbury SE 15". took a year to run them in, those 15" need juice, small amp just won't work. I got fool by the 96db sensitivity.
It's the first time I ever heard the "de-coning kit", I will find out more and hope I would never need it.
The Tannoy come with two jars of oil, I should get off the listening chair and get on to the oiling before it's too late. Thanks for reminding me and thanks again for sharing your knowledge and kind words.
Cheers
Michael
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Michael,
Yes, agreed on the Jadis class A. Infact they are very nice amps for what they are designed for. Of course it's a totally different sound, would certainly be great to have both. I think it's a matter of personal preference on your favorite recordings, whatever sound gives you that sheer delight in relaxing and listening for endless hours (of course time permitting and wife's not around), to me is definitely cj and no other.

Not really sure if the new series of Canterbury SE comes included with de-coning kits... Perhaps these are newer designs compared to the mighty old Westministers. Since the main driver was made out of treated pulp at the time, the life span of these cones was limited to around 3-4 years of average use. However, since this was back in a heavily tropical climate, Tannoy recommend to my boss that he does the de-coning once every 4 years to ensure top performance. It is actually quite a simple process WAY easier than replacing the tweeter ribbons on maggies. .. Not only did you have to be sober but also follow a phd in tweeter replacement.

Sounds like you have a good sized room. Nearly 6m of headroom is super. You should be getting a fantastic soundstage, with equally great depth and scale. The prem12's will have no sweat in this regard.

Alright then, you have a good one.
Cheers, RJ