PV5 Pre Amps - Alive and well

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
Larrypv5
Beginner
Beginner

PV5 Pre Amps - Alive and well

Post by Larrypv5 »

Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the owners manuals I just downloaded. I'm a newbie to tubes but scored a pair of PV5s and had Bill Thalmann at Music Technology do complete restoration - upgrade on both. I'm keeping one and selling the other on eBay right now ending Sunday. It's getting by far the most interest of anything I ever posted on eBay. Over 150 views and 25 folks " watching " the auction. So, I'd say the PV5 CJ is alive and well !

It's frustrating for me right now as I don't have an amp to try mine out. Still saving up and researching. I've got B & W 801 Matrix s2 speakers, mcintosh tuner, Oppo CD, & Denon (w/ ortofon red cartridge) turntable so it should be a fun system when I get it powered. I'm thinking SS amp as the B & Ws are power hungry and am also thinking bi-amp. Right now I'm thinking a good 5 channel amp and using 4 channels to bi amp. Right now finance is a major consideration and I may upgrade later, but I'm thinking about the new 5 channel amp from Outlaw Audio model 5000. It's getting amazing reviews and the price is sure right.

Anyway that's my story & entry into tubes and Conrad Johnson ... Larry
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PV5 Pre Amps - Alive and well

Post by admin »

Just wanted to welcome you to the site, it's great to have you. Glad we had a copy of the manual for you. Sounds like you have a great system, once you get an amp let us know how you like the PV5. Again, welcome to the site.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Greetings from down unda! G'day mate,

Nice to hear that you have acquired a pv5 in good condition. The most interesting point to me was your B&W matrix 801's. I had these very same speakers for a very short time before going magneplanars. They were superb speakers at the time and I clearly remember the matrix 801's being the professionals choice when it came to audio reviews during the 80's and early 90's. The 801's loved power, yes, but they could also be driven with just a few watts as well because they were true monitors, solely built for Abbey Studios in London. They still use an old pair of 801's, although most of their systems have now being upgraded to the newer Nautilus 800 series driven with all Classe amps. They were solid and built to last, I hope they are in good condition for you to enjoy the music for many years...

One thing I do know is that they are still somewhat around and parts shouldn't be a problem if ever required.
With the c-j pv5 and a great solid state power amp driving the matrix 801's; you should be very happy with what you're hearing. My best advice would be to get your room sorted out to the best of your ability because those 801's need plenty of room to sing their best!
enjoy, cheers, RJ
Larrypv5
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Larrypv5 »

Hiya RJ, thanks for the note. Yea I like the old B & W s quite a bit. And I love the way they look ( Cherry ) I'm still experimenting with Bi amp / bi wire / and different amps. I've had them sounding great but always kinda feel like I can get more out of them. I may just take the plunge and get a vintage CJ 300 Watt to go with my CJ5 Pre. I usually have one newer and one vintage system I'm playing around with. By the way I had some vintage Magneplanars also. Model 3.3 R I think they were. I liked them but they needed an overhaul so I sold them. If only my budget matched my desires ...cheers LB
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey mate,
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the B&W's. Great company with a very rich history spanning some serious designs in loudspeaker technology. Their new nautilus series is pretty impressive but the old matrix series, I think is a real classic!

Yes, understand about the maggies, first the tweeters would give way, then after a couple years the panel elements and their frames would start deteriorating, especially in tropical climates. This is going back to the mgiiia series, then the mg 3.3, 3.5 & 3.6. None of them lasted any more than 3 years in the tropics, let alone stats, which was a real nightmare. I used to have sparks flying off every now and then. Our humidity levels were very high, around the 90% mark. Even dynamic driver types that had veneers would start peeling off after a period. The only speakers that did last in that time for a while were the infinity's.

Now that I live in Melbourne, it is so dry just around 50% humidity, perfert for panels and all speakers, Including electronics.

Just checking, have you placed your 801's in a fairly large room? I remember several optimal placements for this was somewhere: 10ft apart x 4ft from the sides x 4ft from the back. With slight toe in and listening position about 12-15ft away. This was truly remarkable. Deep solid soundstage with plenty of room to breathe and project the musicians in 3d. Apart from been quite powerful and dynamic, that depending on the amplification because the 801's could handle virtually any power, they could also be played soft to moderate with a wonderful sense of musicality. And with cj as the main amplification, you should be in heaven.

What sort of placement have you got going? And how's the soundstage working for you so far?
Good to know. Cheers, RJ
Larrypv5
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Larrypv5 »

lol... sparks flying off is never a good thing. On mine, the wires had started to come unglued & loose. There are a couple good tutorials on line on how to overhaul them but it looked like a nasty messy job & over my head.

Right now I'm in APT so the B & W s are just in a bedroom up against the wall. When we move to a house I'll get to play around with placement etc.

I think I've settled on an amp. The CJ MF-2500A looks like a perfect fit for my pre and the 801s. Little more than I wanted to spend, but I'll start saving up. LB
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one! The mf2500 is an excellent amp, it will work very well the 801's. In your apartment, are you able to bring out the 801's a little away from the back wall? Say around at least 2ft? If you're stuck for space around the sides, at 6inches should be somewhat better than nothing. If you are able to place them around 5ft apart and angle them towards your listening position, this should give you a pretty decent soundstage. The key is that back wall space, and this causes a lot of boom if they're too close to walls. Since you're using cj amplification, the sound won't be annoying even if you listen near field since you're in a small room.

Try to see if you can manage to get access of at least2-3ft from the back wall. Bringing them out into the listening room and away from the walls works remarkably well with the 801's. If your listing position is just around 6-8ft and you listen at soft to moderate levels this will work fine until you move into a larger area.
Let us know how it goes, cheers
RJ