Greetings

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
dsbrostoff
Beginner
Beginner

Greetings

Post by dsbrostoff »

Greetings from sunny but dry southern California. I have the awesome task of maintaining high end systems like Conrad-Johnson and it is fantastic to see a site like CJO to extend the collective knowledge of these superb systems. For instance, I have a PV8 in front of me right now that needs tweeks to bring it back to the owner's expectations. Thanks CJO,
Dan
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Greetings

Post by admin »

dsbrostoff,
Welcome to the site. It's great to have you. Sounds like a fun job. I'm sure you have a lot of experience and wisdom to share with our user-base. Again, welcome to CJO.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Dan, from the land of down unda!

Welcome to the site, it is certainly of great value to have a techie on this forum, whom we can learn a lot from.

What other great cj components have you restored? Any of the Premier series? and how did it go, was it a challenge or quite straight forward since most of their circuits are quite simple, with very well laid out boards.

What type of system do you have and what sort of music is your passion? Have you got some special cj classic's as well; like the PV12, Premier 11/prem 8's/prem 12's, Evo2000, ART preamp, Act2 and so on... these were those great cj classics that many so called highend contenders couldn't match even to this day.

Cheers mate, and have a good one.
RJ
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Welcome Dan!
dsbrostoff
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dsbrostoff »

My main activity is repairing vintage audio, both tube and transistor. The PV 8 had a bunch of tar over the tubes. The owner and I assumed this was done for some type of strange vibration dampening action. Unfortunately the tar melted to other parts due to the heat of the tubes. It ended up on a couple of 47 picofarad capacitors. This changed the dynamics of the circuit just enough to create a little hum in the phono section. Removing the capacitors, cleaning them, and cleaning the real estate near the input tubes, eliminated the problem and the customer is currently very happy.

My own system is a work in process (aren't they all). Speakers are Martin Logan hybrids and my amp is a Nakamichi ta4a (nelson pass design). Sub is a revel b15.

There is a minor desire to move to tubes, but for now I am pleased with what I have.

The pv8 was easy to trace and repair due to the nature of the board layout. Kudos to Conrad Johnson for making this part of the Audio experience so easy and straightforward.

Thanks
Dan