Another hello from central New Jersey

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
captaincrusty51
Beginner
Beginner

Another hello from central New Jersey

Post by captaincrusty51 »

Hi all. I just picked up a PV-5 (currently not working-see my post in the troubleshooting section) so I thought I'd join the group, say hi, and hopefully get some advice. I used to work for a dealer back when the PV-5 was a current product and sold quite a few back then. We used to pair them with MV-75s and the Maggie MGIIIa as our go to high end system. I've been mired in home theater/multi channel music for the last 15 years but I always liked the CJ sound so I thought it would be fun to put together a dedicated 2 channel 80's vintage high end system using my Infinity RSIIbs with the PV-5 and some high powered Adcom amps I have laying around. I still play a record every now and then so a preamp with phono stage will come in handy. Hoping it does not sound too dated.
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Re: Another hello from central New Jersey

Post by jeffreybehr »

Dated? I was a part-time hi-end dealer in the '80s and I too sold them. :) Have had 3, 2 of which I substantially improved.

Welcome, and good luck.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site!

I love planar speakers and use Magnepan's currently. I think CJ sounds absolutely wonderful with them as well.

Again, nice to have you part of our community.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
captaincrusty51
Beginner
Beginner

Post by captaincrusty51 »

Thanks for the welcome. No doubt planars and tubes can be magical. Over the years I've dabbled with Acoustats, Martin Logans, and a parade of planar magnetic designs from Carver through BG. All had the ability to develop a wonderful soundstage. The newer Maggies seem to be exceptional value when you look at what they're asking for their products vs the other high end companies.

Hey Jeff, nice looking work. Did you change values or just upgrade parts?
m_boone
Beginner
Beginner

Post by m_boone »

Welcome neighbor!
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

captaincrusty51 wrote: Hey Jeffrey, nice looking work. Did you change values or just upgrade parts?
TY. Just upgraded parts. Next time, I'd certainly use different parts and put some under the board to keep them away from hot tubes, but there'll never be a next time, because I HATE working on printed-circuit boards, especially old ones. :twisted:
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."