Hello from New Jersey

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
m_boone
Beginner
Beginner

Hello from New Jersey

Post by m_boone »

Hello, I'm a proud middle aged owner of a PV10 for a little over a year now and I have to say it has turned out to be the greatest audio upgrade that I have ever made. Second to that comes my KEF 103.2 speakers which I must say compliment each other greatly. I have two Marantz SM80 amplifiers; one powering the KEFs and the other powering Pioneer HPM-100s with low pass filters so they act as subs. My sources include an external DAC from my computer or SACD player.

I will waste no time in asking my first question and thus proving that I am a novice, if I haven't done that already :). I am going to purchase my first turntable soon and I believe that I have read somewhere that the PV10 has normal polarity at the phono stage (non-inverted). I currently have the speaker outputs swapped at my amplifiers (- to red and + to black) in accordance with my system but what do I do when I hook up my turntable? Also, does it matter if my turntable has a MMC or MCC cartridge?
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Hello from New Jersey

Post by Joe Appierto »

Yes, the PV-10 is non-inverting out of the phono stage and has 48.5 dB gain (18 dB out of its line stage). If you feel confident enough to do this yourself, you could swap the pin leads on the cartridge so that they're out of phase. I had the PV-10A and when I had a turntable hooked up never did that and quite frankly couldn't tell the difference even though it was out of phase. I would think that even using an MC cartridge you should have sufficient gain although you may have to crank it up a bit. Having very quiet tubes (the two 12AX7's and the single 12AT7 used in the phono stage) would be a definite plus in this case. I'd think that as long as you don't use a really low out MC cartridge (< 1 mV), you should be okay.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

Welcome, M, and hello again Joe.

I think both of you have this signal-polarity question effectively wrong. Yes, the fono* stage does not invert signal polarity (because it has an even number of gain stages), but that's only from fono-in to RECORD-out. From fono-in to main-out AND from any of the line-level inputs to main-out, the preamp inverts signal polarity**. M, you don't need to do anything with your speaker leads when you use the fono inputs, as the signal out of the preamp will still be inverted.

J. Behr, the DesertRat

* one of my fetishes--I HATE the use of 'ph' when 'f' is SO much simpler and less complex. :roll:
** because the signal passes thru the line stage.
*** a little bit of trivia--the grounded-grid vacuumtube configuration does NOT invert signal polarity; the only I'm aware of is Transcendent's.

http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transc ... reamp.html
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Thank you for the correction, Jeffrey.

I misread the Stereophile http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/790 review of the PV-10A when it first came out 21 years ago and kept right on doing that every time since. That explains why the sound of the turntable always seemed fine to me. :oops:

You'd like the Italian language since it regularly uses the letter "f" in place of the diphthong (there it is again) "ph". :)
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just wanted to say welcome to the site, it's nice to have you.

It seems like your questions about the phono stage is already answered.... :)
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
m_boone
Beginner
Beginner

Post by m_boone »

Thanks to you all for the warm welcomes and answers to my questions. By the way my name is Mike - I forgot to mention that originally. That is very good news because I had a hard time believing that I would have to switch my speaker leads every time I went back and forth from "fono" to other sources. Also, Joe thanks a lot for the cart info regarding MC or MM. Now I have all of the information that I need to buy the turntable that I was thinking of.