Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
der_yeti
Frequent User
Frequent User

Hello from Germany

Post by der_yeti »

Hi,

I am Alex from Germany. Recently I bought a Premier 11A from the US. It is in charge to pass the customs these days - hopefully.

I am not sure right now in which combination of gear I will integrate the amp. Whether it will be matched with a Kohzmo passive preamp or a Thomas Mayer Octal Pre. For sure it will drive a nice pair of Harbeth SHL-5.

Could somebody help me out getting some information on the voltage conversion from 110v to 240v? I would also need the wiring diagram for the output transformer, but I guess I found one already.

Thanks,
Alex
Last edited by der_yeti on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
///

Best, Alex
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Germany

Post by admin »

Hi Alex,
Welcome to the site. It's great to have you. Unfortunately, I can't see the pictures you posted as photobucket says you deleted/moved the pictures. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have the Premier 11A schematic in our database, although you may want to check the other models as we have a number of them from the same timeline so CJ may have used a similar design. You can download them here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=128. If by any chance you come across the Premier 11A schematic, if you could email it to me, that would be great as I can add it to our constantly growing collection!

Let us know how it all comes out! Take care.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
der_yeti
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by der_yeti »

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome. First I corrected the links. Yes I moved the pictures as I created subfolders in photobucket. Now it should work.

I already contacted Jeff from the service department of CJ and he wanted to send me the wiring diagram of the power transformer. Unfortunately he doesn't answer my emails since then...

I will keep you posted.

P.S.: I just looked inside the database and found the wiring diagram for the output transformer of the Premier 11/12 - Thanks for the link!
///

Best, Alex
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by pstrisik »

Hi Alex and welcome!

I have an 11A as well and like it very much. I saw yours on eBay (I assume it is the same one you bought). Looks to be in pristine condition. Mine has a bit of a chip in the lower right of the faceplate. Unfortunately, CJ doesn't have any Pr11 faceplates available. :(
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Peter

Dennis Had Inspire LP-2 preamp
Dennis Had Inspire KT150 amp
Thorens TD-145 MkII
Restored AR 2ax', Omega Super 7 XRS Alnicos
Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6/DAC Magic +
[/color]
der_yeti
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by der_yeti »

pstrisik wrote:Hi Alex and welcome!

I have an 11A as well and like it very much. I saw yours on eBay (I assume it is the same one you bought). Looks to be in pristine condition. Mine has a bit of a chip in the lower right of the faceplate. Unfortunately, CJ doesn't have any Pr11 faceplates available. :(
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I bought 'the' one on eBay in the US ;) At least the pictures of it are beautiful! There are not much 11A around. But exactly this one could fit my setup as I assumed to end up with 6550 tubes in the power section and 70W per channel should be enough. Currently I listen to my Harbeths with a Rogers E 20 A which is also nice, but I expect. I auditioned Premier 8 and 1 in Honkong and was pretty blown away by them. It is said that the 11A is aproximately a half 8.

Bad luck with your faceplate. I hope that my 11 is arriving safely to my place. I will keep you guys updated.
///

Best, Alex
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by pstrisik »

General preference seems to be KT120 for power tubes and is now C-J's preferred tube, though the Tung-Sol "reissue" 6550's get some kudos.

I think the 11A is more half of a pair of twelves (140 watts each - like the two 70 watt channels bridged). The eights were even more powerful at 275 watts per amp.

Thorens TD-145 MkII
[/color]
der_yeti
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by der_yeti »

I wonder if the KT120 can be put into the amp with only adjusting the bias?

Yes, you are right. It was the half of the twelves.
///

Best, Alex
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by pstrisik »

der_yeti wrote:I wonder if the KT120 can be put into the amp with only adjusting the bias?

Yes, you are right. It was the half of the twelves.
You can just swap to KT120 and just need to rebias. I never use the cage, but the KT120's are taller than the 6550's and the cage will no longer fit unless you prop it up with spacers or blocks. The tube sockets can also be lowered, but that's pretty drastic.

Thorens TD-145 MkII
[/color]
der_yeti
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by der_yeti »

What about the sound difference? The 6550 sounds pretty neutral and transparent.
///

Best, Alex
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by pstrisik »

der_yeti wrote:What about the sound difference? The 6550 sounds pretty neutral and transparent.
I think the KT120 is more so. More extended frequency range on both ends, generally tighter, more "punch". Personally, I would only use the 6550 if the rest of the system was too bright. Among the 6550's, my experience is the Tung-Sol "reissue" 6550 edges out the older "Winged C" 6550.

If yours is coming with 6550's, my suggestion would be to listen with those for at least a few weeks, then try KT120's if you want to experiment. Fortunately, we only need four with the 11A! The LP125M's (I have for sale) take eight!

Thorens TD-145 MkII
[/color]
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by pstrisik »

Other opinions? 6550 vs. KT120?

Thorens TD-145 MkII
[/color]
der_yeti
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by der_yeti »

Thanks, Peter. I will follow your advice and will first listen to the tubes supplied with the amp. The 6550s ar Svetlanas as far as I can see. Then I will also try finding the perfect match with the preamps I have. Let's see.

First of all the voltage has to be adjusted on the power transformer.
///

Best, Alex
camusmuse
Pro
Pro

Post by camusmuse »

der_yeti wrote:Thanks, Peter. I will follow your advice and will first listen to the tubes supplied with the amp. The 6550s ar Svetlanas as far as I can see. Then I will also try finding the perfect match with the preamps I have. Let's see.

First of all the voltage has to be adjusted on the power transformer.
You seem to know your stuff...so I will only say: make one change at a time. Let them burn in appropriately. Then let YOUR ears do the "talking".
der_yeti
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by der_yeti »

Hi and thanks for the advice. You'r right. Only one change at one time otherwise there is not much sense in comparisons.

As far as I can say by now the amp sounds splendid with the passive Kohzmo pre although there seems one 5751 to be worn. The effect is that the imaging is shifted slightly to one side and moves when I change one of the 5751s. So I will order a new pair and will see what happens.

By the way, did anybody tried changing the 5751 with ECC83?
///

Best, Alex
camusmuse
Pro
Pro

Post by camusmuse »

der_yeti wrote:Hi and thanks for the advice. You'r right. Only one change at one time otherwise there is not much sense in comparisons.

As far as I can say by now the amp sounds splendid with the passive Kohzmo pre although there seems one 5751 to be worn. The effect is that the imaging is shifted slightly to one side and moves when I change one of the 5751s. So I will order a new pair and will see what happens.

By the way, did anybody tried changing the 5751 with ECC83?

Have you tried swapping the two 5751? Do you know if they were "matched" when new? If one is aging more than the other, just swapping them might help even them out....if that makes sense. I dont know that particular piece of gear or how it works, but I have had the 5751 in my old Dynaco70'(2 each bridged to mono), and I found that some trial and error with swapping them around made some sonic differences. I also have them in my CJ PV-1, I have also tried the same...less effect, but I think they are for the phono section only(dont quote me...I would have to look at the diagram again).

As for the ECC83, if I remember correctly, most need to have some resistors or more changed to get the ECC83 in the correct operating range. Again, if I remember correctly, direct swap from 5751 to ECC83 tends to burn up the ECC83 pretty fast...at least in the gear I have tried it in.....your results may vary.
der_yeti
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by der_yeti »

Yes, swapping the the two 5751 first helped me to get down to the fact that one of them is defective or more worn than the other. But today I received a new set of tubes: two NOS GE 5751 (mathed and balanced), two also matched and balanced NOS GE 6CG7 and a matched quad of Tung-Sol 6550. I first changed the 5751s and WOW...

Even the first impression with the 5751 supplied with the amp already was very nice. But now it's far better. It was the right decision to go for the CJ. I'm quite happy. Let's get into it and I will keep you posted how things develop as I also have to get deeper into the sound of the amp... :-)
///

Best, Alex
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by pstrisik »

der_yeti wrote:Yes, swapping the the two 5751 first helped me to get down to the fact that one of them is defective or more worn than the other. But today I received a new set of tubes: two NOS GE 5751 (mathed and balanced), two also matched and balanced NOS GE 6CG7 and a matched quad of Tung-Sol 6550. I first changed the 5751s and WOW...

Even the first impression with the 5751 supplied with the amp already was very nice. But now it's far better. It was the right decision to go for the CJ. I'm quite happy. Let's get into it and I will keep you posted how things develop as I also have to get deeper into the sound of the amp... :-)
Love this hobby! Image

Thorens TD-145 MkII
[/color]
der_yeti
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by der_yeti »

Love this hobby!
:D YEAH!

The day before yesterday I changed the the 5751 and today I also replaced the 6CG7 with the GE JANs I got recently. Then I also swapped the Sylvanias for the new Tung-Sol 6550. What should I say... WOW. Compared to before now the sound is more relaxed and some harshness disappearred. Obviously the supplied tube set was quite "old".
///

Best, Alex