Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
dlb945
New User
New User

Atlanta -Georgia - USA ... Older Music & CJ Lover

Post by dlb945 »

Hello

My "today's system" utilizes an updated Marantz 7T Solid State Preamp, updated CJ MV75A1 Amplifier, and a pair of updated 1978 Klipschorns. Sources are turntable and Mac Mini with Cambridge DacMagic. Listening room is carpeted 24' x 24'.

It has taken years but today, when music is played from good vinyl or 24bit files ... The room disappears and the venue sonics appear.

My updates are done in a small lab (furnace room) with decent used test and measurement devices. At 76 y/o, my ears are going but the spirit if the music still comes through.

Dan
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Atlanta -Georgia - USA ... Older Music & CJ Lover

Post by admin »

Welcome to CJO, very nice to have you part of our community. I've read a lot about the Klipschorns, it seems people keep them around for decades! Once again, welcome to the site!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
camusmuse
Pro
Pro

Re: Atlanta -Georgia - USA ... Older Music & CJ Lover

Post by camusmuse »

Welcome! Regardless of your age, I KNOW those Klipschorns can get through to you with ample volume. If your hearing loss is like most, you will have a "squeezing" of the bandwidth you can hear(losing of the lower and upper frequencies). I know to many it is "unthinkable"(even unbearable...lol), but maybe a good equalizer will help you get a bit more of a flat curve to match your particular hearing. I had a friend that had a pair of those horns(older Adcom amp), as well as an uncle that had a pair of Voice of the Theater horns(very similar, though he used all Mcintosh gear....*ducking*). Both systems were amazing,and both had EQs, just the nature of horns and your room specifics. Perception is a big factor too, many people get "told" what sounds good, and after a while they get used to it. I would think that the SS Marantz might be holding you back some, but really it depends on what sounds good to you. I'm a tuber, so besides my home theater stuff, its all tubes for me. On a side note, are your Khorns "finished" or the "plain janes". Would love to see pictures.
dlb945 wrote:Hello

My "today's system" utilizes an updated Marantz 7T Solid State Preamp, updated CJ MV75A1 Amplifier, and a pair of updated 1978 Klipschorns. Sources are turntable and Mac Mini with Cambridge DacMagic. Listening room is carpeted 24' x 24'.

It has taken years but today, when music is played from good vinyl or 24bit files ... The room disappears and the venue sonics appear.

My updates are done in a small lab (furnace room) with decent used test and measurement devices. At 76 y/o, my ears are going but the spirit if the music still comes through.

Dan