Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
C1ear
Regular
Regular

Hello from Wisconsin

Post by C1ear »

Hello,
I am new to the world of CJ equipment. I recently acquired an MV 100 and a premier 4 amp. The 4 is at a Tec right now being tuned up. The mv100 is warming up my living space. Preamplification is being handled by my beloved premier 3, and is driving a pair of ar3a's. My plan is to build a set of modern three ways (with the help of madisound, which is right down the street). I will bi-amp those with a couple hundred pounds of vintage CJ!! I love the old AR's, but I am leaving so much on the table with 45 year old technology. Any suggestions on a 3 way kit?? Thanks, and I'm glad to be here.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Wisconsin

Post by admin »

Hi C1ear,
Welcome to the site. Great to have you with us. Congrats on the mv100 and premier 3, very nice.

Is there a reason why you are going for a DIY speaker? Not to say that is bad,... but high-end speaker design is pretty hard. I don't think some cheap woofers off of parts express is the way to go. Higher quality parts, of course, cost more money but then you are in the range of buying from an established brand. If you are looking to save some money, I would recommend magnepan. I'm a big fan of planar speakers and they have some very inexpensive (and expensive) offerings. If you are trying to keep the budget ultra-low, maybe a set of Hsu Research bookshelf speakers?

Again, welcome to our community.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
C1ear
Regular
Regular

Post by C1ear »

Thanks for the welcome.
I have been impressed with some maggies, but my problem is speaker location. I need to have the my speakers against a wall, and as I understand it, planar's need a few feet. The reason that I am thinking the DIY route is that my wife is really particular about the rooms mid-century decor. I know it's dumb, but in order to do my hobby, I need to do it with in a set of domestic parameters. She (my wife) really likes the look of the Ar3a's, and I am hopeing to build something to match the style.
I agree that cheep components lead to a sub-par product. I am fortunate to have a company called madisound near. They are really a great resource in both high quality drivers and x-over design. I have been playing with the idea of an external x-over to dial them in.
I have built a pair of full range folded horns that sound great with the help of Madisound, and that experience has given me the confidence to tackle the more complicated 3 ways. I'm driving thoes folded horns with an old St-70 and a counterpoint preamp with a fantastic photo section.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, I see.

I agree with you, if the speakers are going to be right up against the wall, planar speakers may not be the best choice. There can be some workarounds as acoustic dampening right behind the speaker. You may want to show the wife some pictures, many of the magnepan models do have an "older look" depending on the choice of veneer... Ok, I'm going to stop touting magnepan now...

Also, agree that the wife should like the gear. "A happy wife is a happy life."

Sounds like you are looking at good components with professional input so I'm sure the DIY route will be very good. Don't forget to post some pictures when you are done. I love DIY gear.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.