Howdy from Chicagoland

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Howdy from Chicagoland

Post by eagle6014 »

I was very pleased to see a dedicated c-j forum. I'm certainly not the authority on c-j products. In fact I still don't understand what makes a tube do what it does. I just know that they sound great and my amp makes for a great space heater. My first round of c-j products was back in 1995 when I spent a healthy $2K on a Sonographe SA250 and SC26. I thought that was awesome. But then it wasn't long after that when I decided to go into the home theater hobby and sold off the c-j. Then a few yrs ago I got tired of that and went back into 2 ch dedicated. I found, with some time n' patience, another pr of SA250 and SC26. Then I realised it was time to move into tubes. When c-j introduced the LP66S I knew one way or another I was going to have that amp. But at the introductory price of $4500 I just couldn't do it. I was bummed out. Then it wasn't long that a miracle happened. The Edge in Palatine, IL had their display model up for sale at $2700 on A-gon. Still brand new with full warranty. I drove almost 2 hrs at full throttle so that I could be the first person in the store when they opended the next day. I slapped down my plastic, add tax, and that sucker was mine! :D But it sounded awful hooked to the SC26. Not sure why, but there was nothing about the sound that impressed me. It was mediocre at best. But looking at many systems on A-gon those ppl that had a c-j tube amps all had higher end pre-amps way above the SC26 in terms of quality. So I drained the last of my savings and bought the ET3. I got most of all the money back that I used to buy that c-j pair by having the biggest clearance sale of all time. I sold off the Sonographe and every scrap of anything in my storage via A-gon and eBay. Since then it's been all about getting what's needed to compliment the c-j pair. And it has paid off. Yeah I have a little bit of credit card debt, but I'm still happy about it. The sound is so natural with the best 3D depth I have ever heard. I've never shown my system to anyone outside my family. If your in Chicago and would like to do a little show n' tell, I'd be willing. Now if anyone would like to help me buy a GAT and an ARTsa that would be great. I've already posted a pic in systems. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Pat
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Howdy from Chicagoland

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site!

Great story. I can totally understand your thinking. When I first started getting into high end audio I thought a few hundred dollars for speakers were beyond my means. I also have done a lot of looking (and buying) on sites like audiogon and ebay. You can often find really great deals. I have a local seller of CJ equipment near buy so I'm always looking at what demo models they have on sale. I would also like to get my hands on a GAT or ART, but for know I will have to be patient with my PV-12. But everything will come in good time!

Once again, welcome to the site!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.