New Member from Wyoming

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
sunsprit
Beginner
Beginner

New Member from Wyoming

Post by sunsprit »

Hi All! Glad to have found this site, hoping it has information/user insights into my C-J ownership/experience.

Decades ago, friends of mine owned a high end audio store and were C-J dealers. I got to hear a lot of lines of equipment, even demo'ing a lot of it in my home. The C-J stuff simply stood out for me as among the best to be had for listening pleasure. I listen primarily to pre- and -baroque music, small group folk music, solo piano or other instruments, motets, Bach sonata's, madrigals ... with a bit of Loreena McKennit, Blackmore's Night, early Cowboy Junkies thrown in. My focus is mainly on acoustic music and a natural presentation of the recorded performance.

I am an original owner from new of C-J equipment, including PV-2ar, Premier One, Premier Three, PV-5. The PV-5 has been in use since new, originally with an ARC D-79, then with the Premier One ... until the Premier One self destructed (burned up a PC board) and was boxed up to await repairs. The PV-5 sounded better to me than the Premier Three which had replaced an SP6b in my main system (Linn w/Ittok, KEF 105's, Revox and Studer tape decks, more recently a Marantz CD player and Peachtree DAC-iT, Monster interconnects).

I bought replacement tube inventory over the years and have a Hickock tube tester so I can routinely check and pro-actively replace tubes as needed. I have basic hobbyist competence in circuit board repairs, but am no "expert tech".

I have fond memories of the much improved quiet soundstage of the Premier One over many other amps I've listened to. Now that I have the time to do so, I'm looking forward to restoring the C-J amp and hope that other owners/users have some experience with doing so ... perhaps even improving the sound of it. And, while I'm a satisfied PV-5 owner, suggestions/instructions on how to improve it would be welcomed.

I'd recently visited with my old connection to the high end audio store (he's still an audio dealer) and he knows what I seek in an audio system. He observed that I wouldn't find anything to outperform my old properly maintained/functioning equipment without spending megabucks ... the only improvement he suggested was one or two of the newer pre-amps in the 5-figure price range. That's not gonna' happen for me.

My thanks in advance to any who can help me improve my C-J equipment. I look forward to researching what has already been posted.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Member from Wyoming

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site. It's great to have you with us. I look forward to your future posts. If you have some time I would love to see some pictures of your setup.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.