Site News

Site introduction and news. New members please read. (READ ONLY)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Site News

Post by admin »

So, Conrad Johnson Owners (CJO) has been up for a little over 2 weeks and we've seen quite a few new members. When I first brought the site online I was worried that nobody would ever find it (much less sign up to be a member)! We've had some great setups showcased and member introductions from around the world. CJO is truly a global community now.

I am trying to add as much original content myself (such as DIY projects, equipment reviews, music reviews, etc) to make this a worthwhile site to visit on a regular basis. Thanks to all who have contributed posts!

It is somewhat difficult to spread the word about the site as CJO is not ranked very high on google yet, and it seems to be spreading more by word of mouth than anything else. When I signed up for hosting the company did give me some google adwords credit, but as I am paying for this out of pocket and plan to keep CJO advertisement free, it will most likely remain up to all of us to let other CJ owners know about this new resource they have. If you are on other forum sites or meet others who are fellow CJ owners, I would kindly ask you to let them know about our existence.

As always, I am open to input about the site and if you have any ideas or recommendations you can post it in the CJO Feedback and Suggestions forum.

Thank you to all members and visitors for help starting to grow this community.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Site News

Post by admin »

About one month in and CJO has seen some nice growth. A big thanks to all our members that have joined and contributed!

We've seen some excellent growth in the last 2 weeks and we have some "heavy posters" which have contributed great content and discussion. Once again, big thanks to everybody!

I am trying to add original content as much as possible. I think topics such as the Official Schematics and Manuals Thread will be a nice resource that people can use. The member systems look great, we have had people from many different countries, and a good level of activity (considering we are a small community). It seems like the spam bot issue has been completely resolved since changing the registration question (we have not had 1 spammer show up since the change)! I'm learning to use the forum software a little more effectively now so there will be small upgrades made along the way. I am looking at getting some "rank images" to coincide with the number of posts. As time goes by, I'm sure people will have large numbers and it will be nice to recognize these individuals. As always you can always drop a line in the "feedback and suggestions" forum if you have any recommendations.

I ask that if you have the opportunity to spread the word about CJO to others, please do so as the site is essentially spreading by word of mouth and on other forum sites. This will help grow our member base even faster and offer everybody more content.

Once again, thanks for all your contributions and enjoy the site!
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Another month has come and gone. CJO has been up and operating for 2 months now. The CJO community continues to expand and grow on a daily basis. There are hundreds of posts and dozens of members. We have a core user-base that is visiting the site on a daily basis. I think this is very positive considering we are an "exclusive" population.

It seems like the site is growing mostly from word of mouth on other forums. For this reason, I ask all members to mention CJO (if appropriate) to other potential CJ owners if you see an opportunity. If linking to other forums is prohibited in the threads, a polite PM to a user is usually appropriate and not frowned upon.

There have been some small incremental updates to the site such as poster rank images as well as a minor version upgrade to the software running the forums. I have posted some of the rank images (which will expand with time as members achieve higher post counts in the upcoming months/years). A thanks goes out to our member "ZNine" as he helped me acquire the images (which are based on Battlestar Galactica insignia ranks).

Once again, a big thanks to all our members for keeping the site lively, interesting, and growing!

If there are any comments or suggestions for improvement, please leave a message in the CJO Feedback, Suggestions and Report Site Problems topic.
Attachments
rank images
rank images
CJO rank images.jpg (42.65 KiB) Viewed 57289 times
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American members and a big hello to all!

I just wanted to give everybody a quick update on recent CJO activities in the last 2 months. All seems to be going well and the site is slowly growing on a daily basis. Thanks for all who have contributed! There have been some minor cosmetic changes to the site, many new discussion topics, and our user base is continuing to expand.

It seems like the Official Schematics and Manuals Thread (Registered Users) has become popular and we have added some extra schematics. There have also been some requests for user manuals to be added so I expanded the thread to include those as well (in a separate downloadable archive). Hopefully this will serve as a nice repository of Conrad Johnson documentation. I also did change that particular forum topic area to be downloadable only to registered users. Guests can still read the forums and get a listing of material we have, but actually downloading the schematics/manuals will be a bonus privilege of CJO members. If you have any other manuals or schematics that are not listed, please email them to me at "admin@conradjohnsonowners.com" and I will add them to the archive.

Once again, thank you for all our members for helping make ConradJohnsonOwners.com a very special place. I look forward to reading all your posts!
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A very happy seasons greetings and happy holidays to all our CJ members! Christmas is just a day away and I wanted to give everybody a small update concerning CJO.

First, I am happy to announce that I have secured the hosting for http://www.ConradJohnsonOwners.com for an additional 2 1/2 years. I originally had reserved the domain for 1 year as I did not know if anybody would be interested in a dedicated forum site such as this. You all proved that there are dedicated individuals who enjoy this forum. I was able to contact the hosting service and they gave me a very good deal on the cost if I extended to a 3 year plan.

Otherwise, our user base continues to grow and there have been some really great posts. Thank you all for contributing and making this a very special website!

Best wishes for the Holidays and New Years! :)
Attachments
Conrad Johnson Christmas
Conrad Johnson Christmas
CJXmas.jpg (215.89 KiB) Viewed 57021 times
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello there CJO members. Another "semi" monthly update on the site.

Everything seems to be going well. There have been two small upgrades to the site.

First, we have a favicon for the site. For those not familiar with this, it's a small icon that will appear in the browser tab that is site specific. You can click on the previous "favicon" link to find out more about this on wikipedia. You should be able to see this little icon in your browser tab or url bar. Not a big deal, but I figure small site enhancements are good. :)

Also, I added code to the forum software so you can post youtube videos directly into your posts if needed. You can find this entry as a button in the reply post webpage (not in quick reply). If you want to post a video, you would click on the "youtube" button and simply insert the youtube video's url (website address). You can see the syntax requirement below. Basically, you copy in the entire url of the youtube link.
CJOyoutube.jpg
CJOyoutube.jpg (7.24 KiB) Viewed 56895 times
For example, if you wanted to post the youtube video to: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTILeHDHI8o"

You would click on the "youtube" button and insert "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTILeHDHI8o" between the code markers.

It would then look like this:

Please note that youtube often puts modifiers in it's url. They are at the end of the url text and start with an "&" character. These need to be removed for this to work properly. For example, the above video may be "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTILeHD ... detailpage". The "&feature=player_detailpage" part would have to be removed.

CJO continues to grow with many new members and great topics. Thank you all who have contributed!

Best wishes and a happy 2013 to all!

EDIT 12/27/15: updated for default https header (from previous "http") as youtube now defaults to https.
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear ConradJohnsonOwners.com members,

Another few months pass since out last site update. CJO is continuing to grow with new members from all around the world. New topics are added daily and it seems like you all proved that this website will be a vibrant community of Conrad Johnson and music aficionados.

We continually add new schematics and user manuals into our database and this seems to be a big draw to the site. I would like to thank the community as without your support and effort, this would not be possible. I know it is time consuming to scan these and send them in for posting, but it does help others and the community. Due to high shipping costs, many individuals will attempt repairs or mods themselves, and these files become an essential aid. CJO has become the single largest repository of Conrad Johnson schematics and manuals on the internet (to my knowledge). So once again, a big thank you to those who have contributed.

We are quickly approaching the one year anniversary of the site which will be later this summer. I plan to remove the “The New” portion of the website title so that the title officially simply reads at “Conrad Johnson Owners.com”. Although we are young community, with the shear number of established users, I think the site has an “established” reputation now. Once again, thank you to all our members for making this happen!

I am also planning to increase the rank images as there are few posters on CJO that are getting close to the 100 post mark. This update should be happening soon.

Once again, thank you to all our members for their support, time, interest, and devotion to the site! Have a wonderful day.
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear CJO members,

This is a very special news update as we are celebrating our 1 year anniversary! I find it hard to believe that it was just 12 months ago when I first put up this forum site with the hopes that a few people may join. Your participation and contributions to the site have proven how a small but dedicated community can make a website successful. We now have over 200 members, well over a thousand posts, and active discussions occurring daily. CJO has exceeded my expectations and I have all of you to thank.

I have updated the posting number rank images as we have members with well over 100 posts and I felt it was important to have a system that can acknowledge higher post counts. Hopefully, the new expanded ranking will suffice for awhile!
updated rank images
updated rank images
Rank images.jpg (49.84 KiB) Viewed 55451 times
I also put up a new logo image celebrating our 1 year anniversary and removed "The New" from the title of the website.

Once again, thank you all for your lively discussions. I think CJO is now firmly cemented as a valuable and unique resource to Conrad Johnson aficionados around the world. I look forward to reading all your future discussions on CJO!

Yours truly,
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Conrad Johnson Owners.com members!

Another year roles by and it is hard to believe that Conrad Johnson Owners.com is a year and a half old now. As a side note, we just passed the 300 member mark! I think the site is continually proving that it is a success and all our loyal members are to thank... so THANK YOU!

The site has undergone some minor updates that should have gone unnoticed. Everything seems to be going well and we are getting a steady stream of visitors and traffic.

I want to wish everyone a happy holiday season and new year. I can not wait to see what 2014 offers but I am certain that our great dialogs on CJO will continue.

To all current and future members of CJO, best wishes for the upcoming year!
Attachments
CJO Xmas 2013
CJO Xmas 2013
636r.jpg (150.49 KiB) Viewed 54872 times
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looks like spam bots are back. The last few days on CJO have been a little annoying as dozens of spam postings have shown up in two big waves. I have gone through and deleted all the spam accounts. I have heard that other forums (audioshark for example) are also under attack and the phpbb site (the software that runs CJO) is also down.

To make sure that the board is not flooded with spam again, I have decided to take the bold action of requiring a newly registered user's first post to be moderator approved. I know this can be frustrating as many new users sign up specifically to get a post on the board. However, I can not think of any other way to ensure that spam does not get through. The automated spam countermeasures are either not effective or can be easily solved by a human spammer.

As of today:

Newly registered users will need to have their first posting approved.

All subsequent postings will be immediate and not require moderator approval.

I had to go back and delete the +50 accounts that were created by the spam bots on 12/14/14. It looks like the attack came from Russia as almost all ip addresses originated from there. If by accident you legitimately signed up on this date and I deleted your account I apologize. You can make a new account (with the same username).

If you are a new user and I have not approved your first posting within 24 hours, please email me at "admin@conradjohnsonowners.com".
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I just wanted to wish all our members a very happy holiday season. The CJO community has been really great and continually growing. I can't believe we have well over 500 members!

The year is almost over and it has been great to read all of your posts. So thank you. Some major updates will be coming to CJO in the next year. Most notable is that I plan to upgrade the site software. A new version of phpBB (the software that runs the site) has been recently released. It will have more functionality and I plan to update in the near future. To fully take advantage of this upgrade, I will also need to use a different style template so the overall look of the site will change. I am hopeful and enthusiastic that this will make our site modern and more usable.

Again, thank you for all your time, effort, posts, etc... and have a very happy new year.

And here is a another Conrad Johnson holiday photo which is now becoming a tradition....
Attachments
IMG_8449r2.jpg
IMG_8449r2.jpg (228.16 KiB) Viewed 52945 times
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello all CJO members! You probably noticed today that the site looks completely different. This is due to the fact that I did a major upgrade to the site. CJO is run by a program called phpBB. This bulletin board software had a major new release this past year. The new version of the software has many security fixes and additional capability.

The downside is that the old style is no longer supported. I hope you like the new modern style with improved functionality. If there are any problem/issues/suggestions/comments you can always post to the CJO Feedback, Suggestions and Report Site Problems area or email me directly.

I will be making small changes to the site in the near future but I am hopeful that this upgrade will ensure that CJO stays modern and offers our users the latest features and security. If anybody is interested, here is a review of some of the improvements to the site: New Version Improvements

As to the membership in general... the site continues to grow. We are over 700 members strong! Thank you all for contributing.
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello all CJO members. Just wanted to give a small warning that I will be switching the hosting service for CJO.com in the next two weeks. I'm not sure when exactly this will happen. If all goes well, it should be a very quick transition. However, if the site does go down for a day or two, don't worry, CJO is not going anywhere! Again, hopefully there will be no major issues and people won't even notice the downtime. Take care and best wishes.

EDIT 12/7/15: So that "quick transition" did not go so well. The site for whatever reason did not run on the new account. For the time being I transferred the site back to the original hosting account. I will update when I have more info but for now the site is up and operational.

EDIT 12/10/15: I ultimately decided to stick with the old hosting account. Even though it will be more expensive, I rather not deal with the headache of having the site down and technical problems. The hosting is secured for another 3 years. I apologize for the website downtime earlier this week.
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Happy Holidays and New Year CJO members. Just wanted to wish everybody season's greetings. It's been a wonderful year here at CJO. I can't believe we are rounding 800 members! The site is up and running without any further issues and hosting has been secured for another 3 years. Best wishes to you all.
Attachments
20151223_165324 (1) edit final.jpg
20151223_165324 (1) edit final.jpg (322.87 KiB) Viewed 49826 times
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Summary:
So it looks like we had a spammer get through our defenses and he was able to send some of our users a spam message through the private message system. I have "patched" this security flaw and it should not happen again.

Detailed Explanation:
We have many spam accounts made here on CJO on a weekly basis. There is a security question when signing up for a new account. This is designed to outwit computer bots but there is no way to stop a human from answering the security question. The next step is that I personally approve the first post of any user. If it looks to be spam, I simply delete the account and our users never see these accounts or posts. It all happens in the background. It has been highly effective and for a number of years, we have not had spam accounts flood the board.

So what happened this time? We had a spam account made and instead of the usual situation where the bot tries to post into the forums, it exploited a weakness in the system that allowed it to send private messages to some users. Basically, the permissions on new accounts were set up wrong (new users should not have the ability to PM other users until their first forum post is authorized by me personally). This was my fault and I apologize. In all the years that CJO has been active this has never happened before.

I should note that absolutely no private information about CJO users (such as passwords) was compromised. There is no need to change passwords or do anything else on your side.

This permissions error should now be fixed and should not be an issue in the future. If you did get an email and you follow the link back to CJO, it will lead to a non-existent PM as I deleted the spam user.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our users.
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just wanted to give a quick update about the site and wish everybody a very happy holidays and new years. Our small site continues to grow and our member contributions have been very enlightening.

I can't believe we have reached over 2000 registered accounts. I find this absolutely amazing and never thought we would have so many community members.

I was previously doing a yearly holiday CJ picture but kind of laxed the past few years. I think this is a tradition I would like to restart so I am attaching this year's holiday picture.

Again, thank you to all our members and best wishes to all. Have a wonderful 2020!
20191215_170826edit.jpg
20191215_170826edit.jpg (235.5 KiB) Viewed 44179 times
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Another year has gone by and boy was (is) this a doozy. There are few people that COVID has not affected in some way or another. We should be very grateful for each day of health we have the privilege of experiencing knowing that so many others are actively suffering. I find that in times of hardship, music helps cope with all the stress and worry. For me personally, adding a new set of CJ ART amps to the "family" this year has certainly provided much joy in a time of sadness.

CJO has continued to grow and expand. We are now getting close to 2300 users. Hard to believe that this site has become such a success (at least to me)! So another big thank you to all of you who have contributed and shared your valuable thoughts with our community. A forum site is truly nothing without its members.

Again, thank you to all of you and best wishes to all.

As per tradition, the yearly holiday photo...
Attachments
20201211_152517e.jpg
20201211_152517e.jpg (591.76 KiB) Viewed 40336 times
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As 2021 comes to an end I wanted to wish everybody a very happy holidays and new years. As we have all enjoyed audio nirvana this year, I'm sure everybody has been struggling with the COVID epidemic either directly or indirectly. I have to say that I was really hoping for this epidemic to be abating after nearly 2 years but that doesn't seem to be the case as we are seeing record numbers here. Regardless, I wish everyone happiness and good health.

The site has continued to grow and as I write this post we are at exactly 2600 members! Incredible. I would have never though the community would grow to these levels. As always, thank you for all your contributions to the site. CJO would be nothing without our incredibly generous and knowledgeable members.

As custom now, enjoy this year's CJO's X-mas pictures....
20211224_163346e.jpg
20211224_163346e.jpg (221.25 KiB) Viewed 36190 times
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, another year roles by. I hope everyone had a good year and best wishes to all.

CJ has been continually growing and we just passed 2800 registered members. We also celebrated our 10 year anniversary this past summer. I can't believe how time passes so quickly.

Again, a big thanks to all our members as you guys (and gals) ARE CJO and this site wouldn't be anything without you.

Best wishes and seasons greetings to all!

And here is this year's CJO X-mas picture:

-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It is nearing the end of the year and I just wanted to wish everybody a very happy holidays and New Year.

We just passed 3000 members which I think absolutely amazing and never thought would be possible when I started CJO many years ago. So thank you to all our members, old and new.

And as tradition, this year's Holiday photo:
Attachments
20231219_143608e.jpg
20231219_143608e.jpg (610.25 KiB) Viewed 11145 times
-admin