McCormack UDP-1 C-J Edition

Conrad Johnson (in disguise)
friedbanana
Beginner
Beginner

McCormack UDP-1 C-J Edition

Post by friedbanana »

Any other owners of the UDP-1 C-J edition universal disc player out there? I love this thing, but wonder if there are any other players out there in its price range that top it.
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Re: McCormack UDP-1 C-J Edition

Post by Billy Budapest »

I just bought one and am waiting for it to arrive. The reviews at the time it was released were extremely positive. There are very few SACD/DVD-A players currently in production. In fact, the Oppo BDP-105 is the only "audiophile" player that I can think of that has SACD and DVD-A capability. I have an Oppo BDP-95 and I can (and will) compare its sound quality to the UDP-1 once a receive it.
friedbanana
Beginner
Beginner

Post by friedbanana »

Billy Budapest,
Any comments yet on your UDP-1 Deluxe (Conrad-Johnson edition)? Would be interested in a side by side comparison of your Oppo BDP-95 (and eventually the Oppo BDP-105) and the UDP-1 Deluxe as well.
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Billy Budapest »

Very happy with it so far. The Oppo and the UDP-1 are in different systems so a side by side comparison won't be possible.
marbeck
Beginner
Beginner

Post by marbeck »

Just got mine a few weeks ago, flew from Australia...., awesome sound, SACDs sound as they should.., gap between vinyl become shorter....
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

I have owned the UDP-1 Deluxe CJ Edition for 16 years. I have updated it with CJ Teflon caps in the 2-channel signal and power supply.

I still compare this other very expensive Universal Disc players and marvel that it still sounds better.

The Teflon Upgrade is about $1400 and worth it.

I suggest you buy some extra Pioneer DV-45 chassis to keep for spare parts so you can enjoy this baby for years.

Just another great legacy CJ/McCormack product!
Q3Di
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Q3Di »

I have owned one C-J Edition. It was a great sounding SACD player.
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Billy Budapest »

whnay1 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:31 am I have owned the UDP-1 Deluxe CJ Edition for 16 years. I have updated it with CJ Teflon caps in the 2-channel signal and power supply.

I still compare this other very expensive Universal Disc players and marvel that it still sounds better.

The Teflon Upgrade is about $1400 and worth it.

I suggest you buy some extra Pioneer DV-45 chassis to keep for spare parts so you can enjoy this baby for years.

Just another great legacy CJ/McCormack product!
Bought a spare laser assembly as those are what seem to be the major point of failure in any disc player, besides belts.
arnel
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by arnel »

Thinking of getting a UDP-1. I had the CJ DV2b CD player but the cd mechanism went bad. I brought it to a repair shop to have it fixed but they haven’t been able to get through to CJ about a service manual. I’m guessing it’s just to old and the CD mech are no longer made. I don’t want to get a UDP 1 only to have it fail and not be able to fix it! Did you buy the pioneer dv-45 entire unit or were you able to purchase the laser mech separately? Are there service manuals out there in case it would need replacement?
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Billy Budapest »

I purchased the replacement laser separately. There are plenty on eBay. See here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OPTICAL-LA ... 632-2357-0
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

Sonically, the UDP-1 Deluxe CD Edition is way superior to the DV2B. Much better DAC and Analog stage.

The UDP-1 Deluxe CJ Edition uses a Pioneer Elite DV45 laser. You can always buy one and you may consider buying two them.