McCormack MAP1

Conrad Johnson (in disguise)
Animal
Frequent User
Frequent User

McCormack MAP1

Post by Animal »

My system is sort of a counterpoint to Jeffery's. I love multichannel music and I have the McCormack preamp for multichannel audio and CJ power amps. The MAP1 has the same ARM (ambiance retrieval mode) that the MET1 has, but it is a solid state beast. I has 2 sets of multichannel inputs and 3 pair of stereo inputs (one of which is a dedicated phono input IF you get the MAP1 with the phono section built in, which adds about $400 to the price tag). There are no on-screen menus to navigate through (on screen menus are the Devil's work) and setting one up is a snap. It has a very clean and uncolored "sound" if you will.

Here are some shots of a MAP1 including a bunch of under-the-hood pictures.

The MET1 falls into my "One of these days..." category. I have a CJ stereo pre amp (a PV-5) but I just couldn't swing the bill for the MET1. The MAP1 I could afford, and I have been very happy with it, but I do love the glory that tubes provide to music. I suspect you all know what I am talking about.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: McCormack MAP1

Post by admin »

Wow, very nice. It's funny, when you take off the cover and look under the hood it screams Conrad Johnson quality. I'm going to keep an eye out for McCormack equipment from now on. I'm looking at one of their players to perhaps replace my Oppo that I use for CD/SACD's.

Thanks for the pictures, they look great!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Animal
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Animal »

My understanding is that the McCormack Deluxe UDP-1 is exactly the same as the Conrad Johnson branded version, with the exception of the face plate (McCormack silver vs CJ Champagne).

Be aware there is no HDMI connection (which, IMO, is a good thing).
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

I just received schematics for the MAP1 from c-j.

The active circuitry is direct-coupled, so there are no '$100 capacitors' to buy... ;) ...but it's got LOTS of powersupply-bypass caps, and the sound quality would benefit from replacing some of those magnetic-lead orangedrops with at least SoniCap Gen1 'propylenes or, even better, MultiCap RTXs ('styrenes).

...and here I go, modifying your preamp. :oops:

I'll e-mail the 3 images (or PDFs, if you prefer) of the schematics to anyone who asks at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net.
Last edited by jeffreybehr on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jeffreybehr wrote:I just received schematics for the MAP1 from c-j.

The active circuitry is direct-coupled, so you there are no '$100 capacitors' to buy... ;) ...but it's got LOTS of powersupply-bypass caps, and the sound quality would benefit from replacing some of those magnetic-lead orangedrops with at least SoniCap Gen1 'propylenes or, even better, MultiCap RTXs ('styrenes).

I'll e-mail the 3 images (or PDFs, if you prefer) to anyone who asks at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net.

If you can send me a copy to "admin@conradjohnsonowners.com" I think I will start a "Schematic" thread and try to compile as many schematics as possible. As I have some other CJ schematics.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
rthomeint
Advanced
Advanced

Post by rthomeint »

I spoken with ED at conrad-johnson and they are now offer a Telfon cap upgrade on the MAP1 like the on they offer for the MET1.The final price of the upgrade was not determined when I spoken to Ed.

Update I called CJ today and was told by Ed that the Map1 upgrade is TBD at this time.
Last edited by rthomeint on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The active circuitry is direct-coupled, so there are no '$100 capacitors' to buy... ;) ...but it's got LOTS of powersupply-bypass caps, and the sound quality would benefit from replacing some of those magnetic-lead orangedrops with at least SoniCap Gen1 'propylenes or, even better, MultiCap RTXs ('styrenes).

I'll e-mail the 3 images (or PDFs, if you prefer) to anyone who asks at jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net.
The documents referred to are now in the official schematics thread.
-admin
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

admin wrote:

I don't see the MAP1 schematic listed in that tread's text.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jeffreybehr wrote:
admin wrote:

I don't see the MAP1 schematic listed in that tread's text.
Yes, my mistake, I confused the MAP1 with another schematic I added. I don't have the MAP1 schematic. As soon as I get a copy of the MAP1 schematic I will add it to the list and archive.
-admin