request for moderator

Comments about the site always welcome!
river251
Beginner
Beginner

request for moderator

Post by river251 »

May I suggest that the edit and quote buttons be placed at the bottom of mesages, where one finds oneself after reading a message, so that one may reply or edit without scrolling all the way back to the top? Hoping to avoid carpal index finger syndrome.
Thanks.
Jim
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: request for moderator

Post by admin »

Topic moved to "suggestion forum"

Jim,
I think you make a good point. I will have to look into the possibilities of moving the buttons to the bottom of the message box. I am still learning how to make modifications to the website and it will take some reworking of the code to make your suggestion happen (if possible). I am not a professional programmer or web designer so I'll do my best.

In the meantime, there is a little arrow button on the bottom right hand side that will take you to the top of the page where you can then select things such as "quote".

Also, if you hit the large "post reply" button on the top or bottom of the window, you will be taken to the full editor (not "quick reply"). When this happens, the previous replies are displayed in reverse chronological order on the bottom of the screen. In each one of these is a "quote" button that if you press inserts that message body as a quote into your reply.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Animal
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Animal »

As a general rule, board software works off of templates. It may be easier for you to find a different theme package (phpBB refers to them as "styles") for whatever version of phpBB you are running than modifying an existing template, especially if you aren't "conversant" in php. Typically on a board with multiple installed themes the user would be able to select the theme that best suits them via their control panel.

Their support forum is here:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/forums/
https://www.phpbb.com/styles/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Animal, as always your input and suggestions are welcome. I am familiar with phpbb styles as CJO uses a non-default installed style (called AeroBlue) with some code and graphic modifications that I did myself. When I was originally designing the the site I had looked at dozens of style templates and I decided to go with this style for a few reasons: I wanted a style that would be easy on the eyes when reading, could be viewed well in both bright and dark environments (very bright or very dark backgrounds work well with limited lighting conditions), dynamic width of posts (the message boxes scale to large and small screens without scroll bars or looking tiny on a large screen), and of course a general pleasing aesthetic component as well. I know that nothing is perfect, and I'm sure the site will undergo modifications as time passes. However, I did decide to stick with one theme for consistency, ease of troubleshooting, etc.

I think for now I will stick with this theme and make some minor modifications in the code, but you never know what the future holds. :) Once again, your comments are appreciated and I take these into serious consideration when planning the future of CJO. After all, this website is for YOU members. It will never be perfect or meet all expectations, but I'll try to do my best to make improvements to the best of my (limited) abilities. :)
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.