Do you like to watch 3D movies?

“And the survey says...”

Yes, love the new technology both in the theaters and on home Blu-ray!
No votes
Yes, but only at the theater.
8%
Yes, but only on Blu-ray at home.
No votes
No, I don't want to wear an extra set of glasses, it ruins the picture, and costs too much!
92%

Total votes: 13

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

3D movies at the theater and at home have really come on the scene in the last few years. Some love the new "immersion" that the viewer experiences with this new technology, other's can't stand it and prefer good old fashioned 2D. Complaints range from headaches, low brightness, inferior picture quality, hassle of wearing special glasses, and the surcharge that is placed on these releases. What is your take on this matter?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Bluesbob
Regular
Regular

Re: Do you like to watch 3D movies?

Post by Bluesbob »

I loved Avatar and Hugo as well as some of the other offerings at the theatre. But I've only seen demos of 3D for HT at stores. However, that's the way the technology is going, so my next HT purchase (Oppo BDP 103) will be 3D capable. When I get my next TV (probably a 70 inch Sharp) it will be a 3D model, mostly because those are the better ones in a company's line. The 3D HDMI spec is the newest and best as well. So there's really no choice when up-grading. All that being said, I'm looking forward to watching 3D movies and TV shows at home. And I wear glasses anyway, so it's not a big deal for me to use them for 3D.
"What, me worry?"
miatadan
Advanced
Advanced

Post by miatadan »

I do not own a tv but use computer monitord for watching tv shows or movies and have no need for 3D

Dan
billyz
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by billyz »

I find it very distracting , adds nothing good and is merely an effect . I recently saw the Hobbit in 3D and I don't know if I liked the movie or not due the distraction of the 3D effect. It does not look real at all. By the way I cannot find the Vote button .
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

billyz wrote:I find it very distracting , adds nothing good and is merely an effect . I recently saw the Hobbit in 3D and I don't know if I liked the movie or not due the distraction of the 3D effect. It does not look real at all. By the way I cannot find the Vote button .
I have not seen The Hobbit, but there were early talks of the high frame rate and/or combined with the 3D actually being quite annoying to some. Some scenes looking un-natural.

Avatar in 3D was good, but, the 3D process/glasses seemed to lessen the overall contrast of the movie, so I felt I was trading overall quality for the 3D effect.
And the Avatar BluRay (2D) is just plain visually stunning.

I guess 3D cinema continues along on life-support, Only time will tell if the patient can be saved.
-------------------------------------------------
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Custom Server running MC 23
Dual Synology 1512+ 12 TB total storage
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ray wrote:
billyz wrote:I find it very distracting , adds nothing good and is merely an effect . I recently saw the Hobbit in 3D and I don't know if I liked the movie or not due the distraction of the 3D effect. It does not look real at all. By the way I cannot find the Vote button .
I have not seen The Hobbit, but there were early talks of the high frame rate and/or combined with the 3D actually being quite annoying to some. Some scenes looking un-natural.

Avatar in 3D was good, but, the 3D process/glasses seemed to lessen the overall contrast of the movie, so I felt I was trading overall quality for the 3D effect.
And the Avatar BluRay (2D) is just plain visually stunning.

I guess 3D cinema continues along on life-support, Only time will tell if the patient can be saved.
I went to see the hobbit this past Christmas but I saw the 2D version as I am not a big fan of 3D movies. I don't like wearing the extra set of glasses, and I also feel it simply looks "fake." My brother is not a big fan of 3D but he did note that he thought the 48 fps version was really unique and he liked it. I think this is a very polarizing issue. Some people really like it, others had it. For now at least I am very satisfied with a good 2D picture. Matter of fact, I would much rather have a higher quality 2D viewing (better contrast, color, etc) than 3D with diminished quality. But that's just me.

@Ray concerning the vote button,
I think perhaps you don't see the voting button as you may have voted it on already. This poll was set that once you vote you can't change your answer. I reconfigured it so that you can change your answer (but you can't vote more than once). You should be able to see the vote options again (and change any previous vote). Let me know if you are having any trouble with the polling threads and I'll do my best to fix it.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
camusmuse
Pro
Pro

Post by camusmuse »

Honestly have never seen a new one. My Sony XBR and BluRay do just fine as far as I am concerned. Still amazed at certain scenes....like the beginning of The Hulk when they pan down the "slum" area and all the vibrant colors...or even non bluray like Gladiator and the fields he walks through...I can go on and on, ....and on....lol