Bad ECC82/12AU7 tube

A nice place to sell, buy, and trade anything (without the fees). See something on sale at another site, talk about it here.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bad ECC82/12AU7 tube

Post by admin »

I had this tube go bad in my PV-12. Here is the story. Anyway, I was cleaning out some of my audio stuff that had been accumulating. I was about to throw this tube out, but I figured that maybe somebody would have a use for it. Once again, THIS IS A BAD TUBE. Although my equipment played, it did create an audible hiss when in it's original slot (that hiss went away when it was switched into the second tube slot). I don't know if somebody would be interested in using it as a tester tube, or perhaps in non-audiophile grade equipment? It is the original CJ tube that came with the PV-12, but I'm not sure what manufacturer as the only text on the tube is "ECC82/12AU7" and "Made in E Germany". I'm guessing it's from the 80's due to "E Germany" designation.

$5 and it's yours. PM me if interested, otherwise it will be sent to the local landfill...
Attachments
bad tube
bad tube
fr_422_size640.jpg (65.88 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Animal
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Bad ECC82/12AU7 tube

Post by Animal »

You can have fun with bad tubes, especially if you have access to a toy box....

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have a feeling that making toys out of it is going to be most rewarding option. :)
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
unclestu52
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclestu52 »

As you noted in the other position the tube sounded OK. I would save it and carefully mark it. On the CJ preamp, one half takes the full high voltage and the other half runs at about half voltage, using the different halves of the tube. There is nothing wrong with the tube, actually, if it is noisy only in one particular section. While some purists would junk the tube, I would save it for a rainy day spare. The Seimens you have is not particularly valuable but with some other NOS tubes ( Mullard Long plates, for example) I am loath to toss any tube which can be used.

Just my 2 cents, and the reason why I have a relatively massive collection of NOS types.

Stu
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think I'm going to take your advice and hold on to this. If anybody is in the need for this one tube I would still be willing to part with it but for now I'm going to keep it for a "rainy day" as you put it!
-admin