The Fabulous Baker Boys: Motion Picture Soundtrack (CD)

CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, mp3 (yes, I said it, but it doesn't mean I have to like it), laserdisc...
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Fabulous Baker Boys: Motion Picture Soundtrack (CD)

Post by admin »

The Fabulous Baker Boys (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Label: GRP ‎– GRD-2002
Format: CD, Compilation
Released: 1989
Genre: Jazz, Stage & Screen
Style: Soundtrack, Contemporary Jazz, Swing

Track Listings:
1. Main Title From 'The Fabulous Baker Boys'
2. Welcome To The Road
3. Makin' Whoopee - Michelle Pfeiffer
4. Suzie & Jack
5. Shop Till You Bop
6. Soft On Me
7. Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me - The Duke Ellington Orchestra
8. The Moment Of Truth
9. Moonglow - Benny Goodman Quartet
10. Lullaby Of Birdland - The Earl Palmer Trio
11. My Funny Valentine - Michelle Pfeiffer

Review:

Music:
I recently watched this movie and was reminded of the "jazzy" soundtrack. Dave Grusin is responsible for the soundtrack although there are some other well know classics present on the disk. When reading online reviews for this disk (ie Amazon) it has a rather low score. However, the chief complaint that people seem to have with the disk is that it is missing some of the songs that were in the movie and sung (quite well) by Michelle Pfeiffer (I read somewhere that she sings 7 songs in the movie but sadly only 2 are included on the soundtrack). I think this is a legitimate argument against the soundtrack. I'm not sure whey they would leave these songs off of the soundtrack, but then again this reminds me of Skyfall's soundtrack album where the main vocal version of Skyfall by Adele was left off of the disk.

The songs are quite wonderful and this is a very nice "easy listen" through the entire CD. If you are a fan of jazz or the movie, I think you will enjoy the entire CD.

Audio Quality:
This CD was released in 1989 and I find that the very late 80's to early 90's was the pinnacle of CD audio quality in general releases. This was right before the loudness wars started and this CD is no exception. Great quality and dynamics throughout. I don't think you could ask for a better quality release of this soundtrack. Track 9 is a 1936 recording so obviously you will hear some hiss and pop, but this is true to the original recording. The modern tracks are pristine.

Conclusion:
If you are a fan of jazz or the movie, I would highly recommend this disk and you can probably pick it up in some used bargain bin or online for a few bucks. If you haven't seen the movie I would also highly recommend a watch as I think it has some of the best acting by Jeff Bridges and (I was surprised that) Michelle Pfeiffer has an excellent singing voice.
Attachments
Fabulous Baker Boys: Motion Picture Soundtrack
Fabulous Baker Boys: Motion Picture Soundtrack
51dmxbyLuuL.jpg (49.55 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Re: The Fabulous Baker Boys: Motion Picture Soundtrack (CD)

Post by ronenash »

This is a fantastic CD. I bought it when the moving came out 25 years ago and still listen to it once in a while. Thanks for reminding me to have another listen :)
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura