Neil Young ‎– Greatest Hits (CD)

CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, mp3 (yes, I said it, but it doesn't mean I have to like it), laserdisc...
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Neil Young ‎– Greatest Hits (CD)

Post by admin »

Neil Young ‎– Greatest Hits

Label: Reprise Records ‎– 48935-2
Barcode: 0 9362-48935-2 3
Format: CD, Compilation
Released: 2004
Genre: Rock
Style: Folk Rock, Classic Rock

Tracklist:
1 Neil Young & Crazy Horse – Down By The River 9:16
2 Neil Young & Crazy Horse – Cowgirl In The Sand 10:05
3 Neil Young & Crazy Horse – Cinnamon Girl 2:59
4 Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young – Helpless 3:37
5 Neil Young – After The Goldrush 3:46
6 Neil Young – Only Love Can Break Your Heart 3:09
7 Neil Young – Southern Man 5:31
8 Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young – Ohio 2:59
9 Neil Young – The Needle & The Damage Done 2:10
10 Neil Young – Old Man 3:22
11 Neil Young – Heart Of Gold 3:07
12 Neil Young & Crazy Horse – Like A Hurricane 8:20
13 Neil Young – Comes A Time 3:04
14 Neil Young & Crazy Horse – Hey, Hey, My, My (Into The Black) 4:59
15 Neil Young – Rockin' In The Free World 4:41
16 Neil Young – Harvest Moon 5:03

Review:

I recently picked up this little gem from a recent bestbuy.com sale where they had a few hundred new CD's on sale for $4 which included free shipping. I wouldn't consider myself a die hard Neil Young fan but I am somewhat familiar with his music as he has had many popular songs.

Music:
First, I was very impressed with the track list. Each of these songs is really excellent and spans 4 decades of performances. You can hit play on track 1 and go all the way through without any "bad songs." If you don't already own most of these songs I would highly recommend this is a purchase, you won't be disappointed. Also, the CD is quite long, clocking in at over 75 minutes. I don't judge the value of a CD by it's length, but with compilation albums it is nice to get "a lot of music." In this case, it certainly delivers.

Audio Quality:
As for the sound quality. This is where the disc really shines. As many of you may know, Neil Young is one of the most vocal artists concerning modern day sound quality (or lack there of) in released recordings. The CD is actually an HDCD so if you have equipment that can take of advantage of this, it's an extra bonus. There are tracks in here from the late 60's and I would say that they are some of the highest quality recordings that I have heard from this period. There is audible tape hiss present, but it's not obtrusive and no doubt in the original master recordings. No pops or other artifacts are present. The soundstage is extremely wide. You'll notice this immediately with the first track where there is almost an active war between guitars in the left and right channels. Vocals and instruments are well balanced. Just a great sounding album all together.

Conclusion:
Overall, great CD and highly recommended!
Attachments
Neil Young  ‎–  Greatest Hits
Neil Young ‎– Greatest Hits
R-1619757-1330536289.jpeg (142.94 KiB) Viewed 3080 times
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.