Chariots Of Fire And Other Award Winning Scores (Vangelis)

Vinyl, tape, reel-to-reel, laserdisc...
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chariots Of Fire And Other Award Winning Scores (Vangelis)

Post by admin »

Title: Chariots Of Fire And Other Award Winning Scores
Composed by: Vangelis and others.
Performed by: London Philharmonic Orchestra
Genre: CLASSICAL
Release Country: UK
Release Date: 1982
Track List: Chariots Of Fire Vangelis A1 Titles A2 Five Circles A3 Abrahams Theme A4 Erics Theme A5 Chariots Of Fire B1 Theme From "2001" Composed By - R.Strauss* B2 Venus Composed By - Holcombe* B3 Waltz Of The Flowers Composed By - Tchaikovsky* B4 Elvira Madigan Composed By - Mozart* B5 Finale To "1812 Overture" Composed By - Tchaikovsky*

Review:

So I bought this record a couple of months ago but today was the first time I was able to sit down and listen to it. Actually, I only listened to Side A which contains the Chariots of fire soundtrack composed by Vangelis. Side B contains other classical works by different composers. I will review the second side as soon as I have a chance to listen to it (I'll update this topic later in the week as I'm sure I will have time to listen to it this weekend).

So first, this is an older record, 1982, and my copy was in "pretty good condition." Not a lot of pops and crackles. I'm sure running it through my "spin cleaner" helped. The acoustics were definitely not the best. Compared to something like Jon and Vangelis - The friends of Mr. Cairo, the audio quality was not in the same category. Although the clarity was descent the mix was a little off. Some of the sustained high notes were a little overwhelming when compared to the rest of the frequencies. Matter of fact, I found myself turning the volume down to mitigate this issue. At moderate to low listening levels this was not distracting so it still made for an enjoyable listening experience. Oh well. The music was very pleasant however, and if anybody has seen the award winning movie, they will recognize the music immediately. I think this record go for pretty cheap on places like ebay so if you like Vangelis, it's still worth a buy. Side B review coming soon....
Attachments
Chariots of Fire Vinyl Record Cover
Chariots of Fire Vinyl Record Cover
w14375_Full.jpg (90.99 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chariots Of Fire And Other Award Winning Scores (Vangeli

Post by admin »

Part II of Review (Side B)

So I was able to sit down today and listen to Side B of this LP. My opinions of the first side matched this as well. There is a small but good selection of classical pieces that you will instantly recognize from a number of films including 2001, James Bond, and others.

As for the audio quality, this is not the record to own if your are an audiophile purist. Although, "ok", the dynamics are not quite there (especially for such emotionally "moving" music). Clarity suffers, and it was simply not mixed ideally.

At the end of the day, if you are a fan of Vangelis and can find this disk for a few bucks, it's worth it. If your primary concern is audio quality, then you can find many of these songs on other LP's and CD's which have superior quality.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.