8. In The Flesh
9. Run Like Hell
10. Waiting For The Worms
11. Stop
12. The Trial
13. Outside The Wall
-------------------------------------
Review:

I received this is a birthday present from my brother and got the opportunity to finally spin this on the turntable. I've been saving it for awhile as I am a big Pink Floyd fan and what can I say, I was not disappointed. This is probably the best I've heard Pink Floyd sound on vinyl. Great clarity, soundstage, and dynamics. Roger Water's voice rings beautifully.

In addition to the great sound, the packaging is nothing short of A+. It's a nice gatefold with the "wall" artwork on inside and out. It also comes with a poster, insert, and optional vinyl or paper LP holder (it's nice to be able to choose your preference for holding those precious disks).

If you are a Pink Floyd fan this is a "must own". If not, I still recommend the purchase although the price can be somewhat high. Overall, this is a top recommendation.
Attachments
ngjXX.jpg
ngjXX.jpg (111.96 KiB) Viewed 4663 times
fi1QKl.jpg
fi1QKl.jpg (54.47 KiB) Viewed 4663 times
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Pink floyd - the wall (180g 2lp)

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I have the original release and played it in juxtaposition to CD and SACD variants of later years the other night.

The original vinyl was also very well done. As I understand it, the band were even more obsessive than Fagen and Becker of Steely Dan, in the area of takes, retakes, edits, mixing and mastering.

The original vinyl holds up well compared even to the SACDs. I was impressed (not having listened to the original release in a long time).
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Digging around to find all the Sheffield Lab direct to disk recordings, I found my Mobile Fidelity vinyl version, so I’ll put that one in the queue for a listen soon.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This one still gets a fair amount of spin time in the system. Pink Floyd was know for the psychedelic rock experimentation and I always felt the "sound" was very important to them and was reflected in their recordings.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:30 am This one still gets a fair amount of spin time in the system. Pink Floyd was know for the psychedelic rock experimentation and I always felt the "sound" was very important to them and was reflected in their recordings.
For its era, it was a genuinely startling use of two channels. We had always had some notion of left and right. The notion of a soundstage was not yet prevalent except with the Hi Fi Fanatics - maybe that’s still true. But listening, especially with headphones, it was thrilling to hear two separate tracks. Horn here. Violin there. Sax on both so centered. There was a lot captured that systems of the day could not resolve.

Dark Side of the Moon was in your face, with stuff moving from one side to the other, and it includes a whole spectrum of expected and unexpected sounds. It was unique when it appeared.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Pink Floyd, every time I saw them in concert, would position speakers in the rear and to the sides of the venue in addition to those that were on stage. The speakers were spread through the venue (both indoors and outdoors) and mainly handled the special effects that they brought on tape machines.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Talk about a true “sound stage!”
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

They also knew how to pick some of the best venues to play. Like this:

-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Looks like the 1989 concert on the barge in Venice.

Ahhhh …. The life of a rock star.

Money for nuthin’ an’ you’re chicks for free 🤭
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Actually there were many other experimenters with stereo imaging, and even quadrophonic imaging.

“Their Satanic Majesty’s Request” by The Rolling Stones had to have been an influence.

Instead of outer space (1000 light years from home) Pink Floyd took it straight to the inner workings of the mind. Rod Serling meets Gene Roddenberry.

The Stones studio work was not as well done in my opinion. They seemed oftentimes to be trying to sound like a garage band. Pink Floyd sounded like they knew you had money and wanted to titillate you. I’ve got at least five copies of assorted releases of Dark Side of the Moon (that I can put my hands on without looking), so I guess it worked.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

You're right, AJ, about quad systems coming into vogue in the early 70s'. I had a Marantz/Cerwin Vega quadraphonic system from '74 until around 1985 or so when my main system was switched to a conventional stereo-based Adcom/Polk set-up. Then I fell into the rabbit hole around '93 with a CJ PV10A/ML rig. I've had CJ in one form or another ever since. Never looked back and never really disappointed. :D
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC