What do you play to demo your system?

Anything you can hear or see.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

What do you play to demo your system?

Post by admin »

So here is the question: "What do you play on your system when you want to give a demo?"
This can apply to both audio or video.

For home theater, I usually throw on the Tron: Legacy (Blu-ray). The picture quality is reference and the lossless 7.1 audio soundtrack is the best I have heard.

For digital Audio it is usually Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" (SACD).

For analog Audio I don't have one specific record. There are a bunch of them that sound really nice and I find that I will demo whatever suits my mood at that time. Plus, I find the "average" person doesn't really appreciate vinyl and would rather listen to something without any pops or clicks due to dust or scratches (however minor they may be).
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Re: What do you play to demo your system?

Post by jeffreybehr »

I've long used a TELARC multichannel SACD to determine just how transparent my system and ears are at the moment. It's a collection of string suites (Grieg, Dvorak, and Elgar, the latter my fave) played by the Rotterdam Chamber O and recorded for TELARC by the experts at Polyhymnia; number is SACD-60623. I regret that it's discontinued and the used copies are rather expensive. The larghetto (middle) movement of the Elgar is breathtakingly beautiful, and it sounds as if there is merely maybe 10 feet of air between me and the first row of violinists. Read more at http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1452 .

Another multichannel fave is an old warhouse that I LOVE, the Tchaikovsky 5th Symphony, played by Gurzenich Orchestra of Koln/Cologne and conducted by Dimitri Kitayenko, on Oehms Classics, #OC 667. Kitayenko's performance is slower than normal, and I appreciate that. The entire recording is excellently transparent and natural, with all sections sounding quite in their real places and at reasonable levels, and there's plenty of concert-hall ambience. The horns playing the theme the first time in the 2nd movment just melts my heart. http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/7671#9181

I LOVE the film music of Jerry Goldsmith (RIP), and again TELARC and Polyhymnia created another demo fave, 'The Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith', SACD #SACD-60433. Excellent performances and choices of music by the composer, recorded nearly excellently by Polyhymnia in the big EMI studio. This recording exhibits more depth than I thought that studio had, but the violins are rather thin sounding. If I had to pick a demo portion, it'd be 'Air Force One' in the middle of the 2nd track...but how could that be better than track one, 'Star Trek'? http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/972

I always play 'Master and Commander' (Blu-ray) when I demo my entire audio/video system. The soundtrack deservedly won the Academy Award for sound editing that year, and it's very natural and dynamic (DTS HD 5.1 MA). The sounds of the cannons firing contain some serious bottom-octave bass that actually sounds like cannons firing (I think; I wasn't there). :oops: The image is excellent, too.

All of this is played on an Oppo '95, with its analog outputs driving a c-j MET1. Main poweramps are 650-Watt McCormack DNA-750 monoamps (much improved) that drive Vandersteen 5As, slightly improved. Altho it's excellent out of the 5As themselves, bottom-octave-and-below bass is augmented by stereo DIY SuperSubs, each of which uses four 12" drivers and which are driven by a Crown CDi2000 (250WPC/8) poweramp. Centerchannel is a V'steen VCC-1 with improved crossover parts, driven, as are the surround channels, by a 150WPC-times-5 McCormack DNA-HT5, one channel of which is somewhat improved. Cable is almost all Neotec UPOCC stuff, with mostly silver conductors. Projector is an Epson 8700UB illuminating an 8-foot-wide (not diagonal) 2.35-ratio screen hanging about 12' from the PJ and 10.5 feet from my nose. Horizontal viewing angle is 42 degrees, rather wider than normal. :D
Last edited by jeffreybehr on Fri May 03, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
Animal
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Animal »

I will typically ask my victim....errrrr, I mean subject to browse through my discs and pick out something they know, but if they leave it to me I tend to toss on the Roxy Music Avalon SACD, the Beatles Love DVD-A or the Dire Straits Brothers In Arms SACD. If I already know they are real rock-n-rollers, I put the Aerosmith Toys In The Attic SACD in and skip to Sweet Emotion. The mix during the intro takes full advantage of the separate channels and just swirls all around the room.

ELP is currently releasing their eponymous 1st album and Tarkus as multichannel DVD-As, I suspect both of them are likely going to be used. Mine are en route; the admin of the Quadraphonic Board has already heard them and says they are stupendous.
ZNine
Regular
Regular

Post by ZNine »

While more for video, my Baraka Blu-ray has always been my go-to film for demos. Doesn't hurt thats its a film most people can appreciate.
MrAcoustat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MrAcoustat »

Jazz 95% trio's - Newage - Soundtracks -

Tord Gustavsen Trio - Where Breathing Starts - from the album Changing Places
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7DXzcq8ups

Steve Roach & Byron Metcalf - Dance Of The Heart Voyager - from the album Wachuma's Wave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfy0-9ZZmKs

Suspended Memories - Mutual Tribes - from the album Forgotten Gods
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKi1oSb5JLw

Dark Knight Rises - Fear Will Find You - from the album The Dark Knight Rises Soundtrack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVIyeJkLFdk

Dark Knigh Rises - Main Theme - from the album The Dark Knight Rises Soundtrack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLqKSv1F ... ure=fvwrel
Last edited by MrAcoustat on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chord CPM 2600 integrated amplifier
Chord One cd player
Acoustat 1+1 electrostatic speakers
Living without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless
A good lawyer knows the law A great one knows the judge
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ZNine wrote:While more for video, my Baraka Blu-ray has always been my go-to film for demos. Doesn't hurt thats its a film most people can appreciate.
Baraka is great for guests because it doesn't matter how old you are, what genre of films you like. It doesn't even matter what language you speak. Just a mesmerizing trip to some of the most exotic and fascinating places around the world. The video quality is also reference level.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
MrAcoustat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MrAcoustat »

Paul Winter - prayer for the wild things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd05eggEa-c

Chord One cd player
MrAcoustat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MrAcoustat »

Cyndee Peters & Eric Bibb - Black Is The Color Rainbow People

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dEOvUAeYDw

Chord One cd player
MrAcoustat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MrAcoustat »

Chord One cd player
MrAcoustat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MrAcoustat »

Chord One cd player
MrAcoustat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MrAcoustat »

As you can see i love Hadouk Trio, here is another one, Baldamore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0dsaO03nZY

Chord One cd player
MrAcoustat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by MrAcoustat »

Again another one from the album Shamanimal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63kpAOMH ... re=related

Chord One cd player
Hatzudokiseizo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Hatzudokiseizo »

DSC01953.JPG
DSC01953.JPG (100.6 KiB) Viewed 8595 times

This CDs These are my favorites at the moment in my Conrad Johnson Audio System...Best Soundings Chris
Hatzudokiseizo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Hatzudokiseizo »

DSC01959.JPG
DSC01959.JPG (85.96 KiB) Viewed 8573 times

Superb Sounding CD! 8-)
Hatzudokiseizo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Hatzudokiseizo »

DSC01987.JPG
DSC01987.JPG (90.07 KiB) Viewed 8016 times
Reference CD promo in my system.
camusmuse
Pro
Pro

Post by camusmuse »

Well it really depends on what the system is trying to achieve. For home audio first grab is the opening to "Money" by Pink Floyd(gotta hear exactly where those coins touch and drop, as well as the cashier machine. Vinyl... "Jazz at the Pawnshop"(JATPS) specifically for the background noise. Actually I have both in vinyl and digital, and I use them for any kind of sound quality system. I used to install car audio professionally, and though most of it was designed for "bass heavy" "music"....and I use the term loosely, though some I cant help but love. Mystical "Bouncin' Back" and "Shake ya A**". If your not familiar, might be fun to try out on some of those megabuck systems, never know. Back to sound quality(for both home and car), I have "My Disc" for tones and what not, as well as a few other purpose made ref cds), though I also have an analog sine wave generator that will play any audible frequency(used mostly for speaker tweaking in place of a RTA), plus it can be used to "break in" speakers in a very controlled environment. Anyway, little off track, but besides what I have already mentioned, it depends on what "kick" I'm on at the moment. i.e. Right now I am listening to Lonnie Johnson "The Living Room Session", and as indicated; recorded in a living room in 1965, again great background sounds, but alot of hiss. Much like JATPS those background sounds can really add depth or presence. I have heard sounds come from behind my listening position, from a simple stereo setup...another one is Madonna "Vogue", the first line "What are you looking at, Vogue", actually travels around the room if the system is setup well enough. Talk about a deep soundstage! Finally, if I am setting up for LOUD....Dropkick Murphys song "The Dirty Glass", is good, fun, fast paced romp.

Going back to my youth...Billy Joel "Glass Houses", simply because it was one of the first cassettes that my father bought to go with his console style tape deck(state of the art for its time...lol), my mother had a simple cassette recorder that she let me use(mind you I was 5 or 6 y/o). I listened to that cassette over and over and over; probably know that album better than most. Im not a huge Billy Joel fan, but I think that record is just ingrained into my mind, plus there is a cool "shattering" glass sound in a song whose name escapes my memory right now. Then there is Harry Connick Jr. "Red Light, Blue Light"....the pool balls hitting in "Last Payday"(at least think that is the title..lol)...I usually listen to the whole album so I dont know many of the songs name. "Red Light, Blue Light" is also a very dynamic recording; with very soft passages exploding into big band that admittedly has blown a few tweeters over the years...:). Simply because I like the music, anything from Dan Hicks with or with out the "Hot Licks"(back up singers from earlier recordings). I have a few classical numbers that I love, sadly dont know the artists or albums(ahem...Napster days). But Fur Elise(I also play that myself on guitar)is a fav, and several different versions of Beethoven's 9th will eventually make it onto the playlist. Finally.....yeah I know....ramble on...."the man with the violin" Stephan Grapelli, along with Yehudi Menuhin for several songs but my favorite by far is "Tea For Two".

Obviously my musical tastes are are all over the place, but I think that diversity is a good "overall" evaluation for a system, regardless of main "purpose". Of course you can tune a system fairly easily for one genre, but the more the merrier....IMHO....

I am sure there are several other artists/songs that I have that get used, but most of my vinyl is still in storage; and I havent had to tune anything recently. Unless you count the Grado SR 80 headphones pushed by a Parasound ZAmp that surprisingly sounds pretty good with ripped lossless music from my laptop USB through a Behringer UCA-202's analog output(the digital optical goes to Home Theater setup).

Oh yeah, just about anything from Acoustic disc is good. Some recorded much better than others.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I like to find out what kind of music my guest likes best, and then I pick something from that genre that I know sounds good.

If left to my own choices to show off, I like Stevie Ray Vaughn’s Tin Pan Alley, Paul Simon’s Graceland, Donald Fagan’s The Night Fly, Debussy’s Sonatas, Copland’s Fanfare for the Common Man, Ron Affif’s Affif, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, Coleman Hawkins’ Soul, David Hazeltine’s Alice in Wonderland, and many others.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

FWIW, I am finding that with the TEA1 + Etna and the SA-KI, just about anything can provide a nice demo.

Same in the other system. With the TEA2MAX HG + Kleos and the SA-KI, most things are worthy of demo.

The only obstacle is that there are some truly horrible records and CDs out there, and those are to be avoided.

A real playground for me these days are the programs where I have multiple copies on CD, SACD, and vinyl.

It’s a lot of fun to do these comparisons.

The CJ electronics and the Revel speakers really shine when it comes to revealing differences in sources.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

FWIW#2 :
I have always been a stickler for listening all the way through the program. I have always been annoyed by demos that focus on passages rather than complete works.

This has been a factor in establishing my audio hobby friendships. I gravitate toward other listeners who want to hear the whole performance rather than just some sonically stellar segment.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

I just ask people what they want to hear but to test something out, it's always Apostrophe'.
Attachments
album.jpg
album.jpg (34.08 KiB) Viewed 2162 times