What have you been listening to?

Anything you can hear or see.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

What have you been listening to?

Post by admin »

Jon and Vangelis - Best of Jon and Vangelis

I have this on both CD and vinyl. I was spinning this on my turntable the other day. It's a great albums. I think "The Friends of Mr. Cairo" is one of the most innovative songs ever released in music history. If your not familiar with this collaboration I would highly recommend a listen.

For more info on Jon and Vangelis here is the wikipedia article on them.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
ll21
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: What have you been listening to?

Post by ll21 »

Rakim The 18th Letter.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ll21 wrote:Rakim The 18th Letter.
That's rap music, correct? Interesting as there are not many CJ users where rap is their primary listening genre. It's nice to get all kinds of music listeners on CJO! :)

I often wonder whether certain amps/preamps are more suited for one kind of music vs another. For example, classical vs hard rock/rap. The sounds needed for reproduction are very different and it would be interesting to do cross comparisons by concentrating on individual music genres.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just got finished listeing to Cyndi Lauper: The Body Acoustic (CD) this morning. Click on the link to read my review.
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

-admin
Animal
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Animal »

Completely immersed in the new Steve Wilson remixes of the ELP albums... completely, irrevocably, hopelessly, deliriously immersed.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bach's Greatest Hits Vol. 1 (Vinyl)

I went to an estate sale the other weekend and they had some nice classical LP's for sale at 50 cents a piece. This was a nice find. It was in Mint condition. The last track was quite amusing as it's not typical "classical", especially with the piece performed by Wendy Carlos in conjunction with a moog synthesizer. Entertaining and good sound quality. Definitely worth it for $0.50!

Here is the track list:

A1 Eugene Ormandy Conducting Philadelphia Orchestra, The – Preludium In E Major
Arranged By – Fritz Kreisler, William Smith (4) 3:45
A2 Pablo Casals Conducting Marlboro Festival Orchestra, The* – Air On The G String 4:51
A3 Eugene Ormandy Conducting Philadelphia Orchestra, The – Sleepers Awake
Arranged By – Eugene Ormandy 3:58
A4 Eugene Ormandy Conducting Philadelphia Orchestra, The – Little Suite (From The Anna Magdalena Notebook)
Arranged By – Thomas Frost 7:27
B1 Eugene Ormandy Conducting Philadelphia Orchestra, The – Toccata And Fugue In D Minor
Transcription By [Transcribed By] – Eugene Ormandy 9:10
B2 Zoltan Rozsnyai Conducting Columbia Chamber Symphony, The – Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring
Organ – E. Power Biggs 3:10
B3 Eugene Ormandy Conducting Philadelphia Orchestra, The – A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
Arranged By – Arthur Harris 2:22
B4 Walter Carlos – Final Movement From Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 In G Major
Synthesizer [Assistance] – Benjamin Folkman
Synthesizer [Moog] – Walter Carlos

I couldn't find a picture of the vinyl cover but it's the same as the CD cover I posted here (except for the "Compact Disc" logo). Also, what is interesting is that my copy has a golden stamp over the isbn label in the back that states "FOR PROMOTION ONLY, ownership reserved by CBS, Sale is unlawful". I don't know where the guy bought the LP.
Attachments
CD cover Bach's Greatest Hits Vol. 1
CD cover Bach's Greatest Hits Vol. 1
725697.jpg (20.57 KiB) Viewed 7737 times
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just got done spinning the Vangelis ‎– Antarctica LP. A very good sounding album, especially for it's age.

Also played a few tracks off of Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton ‎– Play The Blues - Live From Jazz At Lincoln Center on CD. I especially liked the rendition of Layla.
-admin
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

'picked up several new CDs lately...favorites so far:

-------------------------------------------------
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Custom Server running MC 23
Dual Synology 1512+ 12 TB total storage
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ray,
Very cool ecletic mix you got there. Tell me, how was the Mark Knopfler CD? I first heard his music in the Soundtrack to "The Princess Bride" (which is a great movie by the way).

I just got done listening to We All Love Ennio Morricone on CD. Very cool mix of talented artists playing some of the best pieces from his soundtracks over the years. I think I will write a formal review of the CD in the upcoming week.... so stay tuned.
Attachments
We All Love Ennio Morricone CD Cover
We All Love Ennio Morricone CD Cover
R-919333-1255875922.jpeg (101.07 KiB) Viewed 7635 times
-admin
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

admin wrote:Ray,
Very cool ecletic mix you got there. Tell me, how was the Mark Knopfler CD? I first heard his music in the Soundtrack to "The Princess Bride" (which is a great movie by the way).

I just got done listening to We All Love Ennio Morricone on CD. Very cool mix of talented artists playing some of the best pieces from his soundtracks over the years. I think I will write a formal review of the CD in the upcoming week.... so stay tuned.

I've been a MK fan for years and basically buy everything he records. This latest double album covers quite a wide range of his musical style within the two albums, which in a way makes it hard to explain.
MK's guitar just does it for me, pure and simply, 'can't explain it, one of those intangible connections ya have now and then with things. If you could explain it, it wouldn't be as good.
He's come a long way since DireStraits to be sure, and his lyrics vary from funny to extremely serious and profound.

A few of the best and most representative of MK these days are probably in my opinion: Kingdom of Gold, Seattle, Redbud Tree, Dream of the Drowned Submariner...

This is sounding like a review! sorry, it's in the wrong place! Disclaimer: I'd buy a MK record if he was playing a plastic kids guitar with plastic strings. :!:

Now to check out that Ennio record you mention.. :D
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ray wrote:

I've been a MK fan for years and basically buy everything he records. This latest double album covers quite a wide range of his musical style within the two albums, which in a way makes it hard to explain.
MK's guitar just does it for me, pure and simply, 'can't explain it, one of those intangible connections ya have now and then with things. If you could explain it, it wouldn't be as good.
He's come a long way since DireStraits to be sure, and his lyrics vary from funny to extremely serious and profound.

A few of the best and most representative of MK these days are probably in my opinion: Kingdom of Gold, Seattle, Redbud Tree, Dream of the Drowned Submariner...

This is sounding like a review! sorry, it's in the wrong place! Disclaimer: I'd buy a MK record if he was playing a plastic kids guitar with plastic strings. :!:

Well, now you have me going. I think I'm going to go over to ebay and see if anybody is selling a wholesale lot of MK's CD's. Sometimes I like to pick up a varying selection all at once!

I wrote a review of the "We all love Ennio Morricone" CD so you can check out my formal review.

Thanks for the suggestions for new music, these are always appreciated. :)
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, that didn't take long. I ordered these three discs to start my Mark Knopfler collection. Not bad for slightly under $10 for the 3 disks including shipping. Can't wait to get them!

Description Color/Size/Format Quantity Price Total
Last Exit to Brooklyn Used - Audio Compact Disc 1 $1.99
Sailing to Philadelphia Used - Audio Compact Disc 1 $1.99
The Princess Bride (Original Soundtrack) Used - Audio Compact Disc 1 $2.71
-admin
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

wow fantastic!

Last Exit To Brooklyn never quite did it for me, I should drag it out and give it a whirl as it's probably been years since I have.
... but Sailing to Philadelphia is great, James Taylor with MK on the title track.
I really like the Princess Bride Soundtrack also! 'hope you enjoy them!
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can't wait to get these. The Princess Bride was such a great movie and I loved the music. I also look forward to listening to the other albums as well. Now I just have to wait...... ahahah!

I think I'll probably listen to just one or two of the albums for now and save the other(s) for christmas. I bought a CJ D/A-2b processor that I'm going to hook up after christmas so I really want to listen to some new albums then and re-listen to some of my old favorites.
-admin
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Post by eagle6014 »

I didn't think anyone knew of Jon and Vangelis. I have 3 CDs by them: Friends of Mr. Cairo, Private Collection, & Short Stories. They are some of the oldest discs in my collection. My other Vangelis discs are: Direct, Mythodea, Oceanic, Chariots of Fire, 1492-Conquest of Paradise, The City, China, Voices, Mask, Themes (a greatest hits), Greco, & Blade Runner soundtrack. I also have Antarctica that I bought in Japan. A huge selling disc there at the time. Two days ago I found another hidden HDCD encoded disc that I didn't know of. Natalie Merchants live in NY c.1999. It sounds awesome! Track 4, a remake of Space Oddity is very well done. The opening acoustic guitar really stands out. I saw her in concert at The Star Plaza in Merrillville, IN back in 1999. Brings back great memories. Except for my date that I took. No comment. Anyway, that was the latest spin in my player. Later y'all! Pat :mrgreen:
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

eagle6014 wrote:I didn't think anyone knew of Jon and Vangelis. I have 3 CDs by them: Friends of Mr. Cairo, Private Collection, & Short Stories. They are some of the oldest discs in my collection. My other Vangelis discs are: Direct, Mythodea, Oceanic, Chariots of Fire, 1492-Conquest of Paradise, The City, China, Voices, Mask, Themes (a greatest hits), Greco, & Blade Runner soundtrack. I also have Antarctica that I bought in Japan. A huge selling disc there at the time. Two days ago I found another hidden HDCD encoded disc that I didn't know of. Natalie Merchants live in NY c.1999. It sounds awesome! Track 4, a remake of Space Oddity is very well done. The opening acoustic guitar really stands out. I saw her in concert at The Star Plaza in Merrillville, IN back in 1999. Brings back great memories. Except for my date that I took. No comment. Anyway, that was the latest spin in my player. Later y'all! Pat :mrgreen:
I think Vangelis is better known in Europe than here in the US. If he is recognized, it's mostly through his soundtracks for movies like Chariots of Fire, Bladerunner, Alexander, 1949, etc... I also have a number of his albums on both LP as well as CD. I really like to collaborative work that he did with Jon Anderson, and their Greatest Hits LP is one of my all time favorites. Mixed really well and some great songs. "The friends of Mr. Cairo" is one of the most imaginative songs ever created (IMHO). A lot of times you can pick up some of their albums on ebay for a few bucks a piece.
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There were a couple of CD's underneath the Christmas tree this year and I thought I would share one that might be of interest to CJO members. It's titled "The Divine Comedy" by Milla. This came out in '94 and it's a "folk rock" styled album. Many of you may be familiar with Milla Jovovich the actress. She has done a large body of work but (unfortunately) she is best known for those cheezy 3-D resident evil movies they've turning out on what seems like a yearly basis. Anyway, you may be surprised to know that she actually has a very nice singing voice. The instrumental pieces are quite high quality as well and this album will please the audiophile in you. No dynamic range compression (loudness wars) on this album, quite the opposite, it's on the quieter side which fits the mood of the album. There are some really good tracks on this album, my favorites being "gentleman who fell", "it's your life", "don't fade away" and "you did it all before." You can probably pick this up used online for a few bucks. I highly recommend it.

Label: SBK Records – 7243 8 27984 2 2, SBK Records – K2-27984
Format: CD, Album, Promo
Released: 05 Apr 1994
Genre: Folk, World, & Country, Rock
Style: Folk Rock, Experimental
Attachments
Milla - The Divine Comedy
Milla - The Divine Comedy
R-2576516-1294091218.jpeg (98.18 KiB) Viewed 7322 times
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ray wrote:

Just got listening to Mark Knopfler ‎– Sailing To Philadelphia. Great album. I really enjoyed the music and the HDCD is excellent quality. Knopfler has a great singing voice and I love all the different instrumentals he used on this album. It really gives a wide soundstage. Highly recommend this one to others.

Mark Knopfler ‎– Sailing To Philadelphia
Label: Warner Bros. Records – 9 47753-2
Format: CD, HDCD, Album
Released: 2000
Genre: Rock
Style: Blues Rock, Country Rock, Classic Rock
Attachments
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia
R-1336090-1303869982.jpeg (3.74 KiB) Viewed 7301 times
-admin
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

So growing up in the 60's 70's, like everyone on the planet I'd heard of The Grateful Dead.
For whatever reason, I never bought a record, never listened, never even cared for any of their music.

Dissolve to 2012, HD-Tracks has a couple 'Dead albums for download.
I sample a few tracks, hum, not bad, had my tastes in music changed?

So I download a couple 'Dead albums...and, what can I say, this music is utterly fantastic! I guess people do change, or, at least their taste in music.

Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2