Re: What have you been listening to?

Post by eagle6014 »

New additions to my collection:
Soundtrack - Oblivion
Soundtrack - Star Trek Into Darkness
Soundtrack - Prometheus
Soundtrack - Man of Steel
SACD America (self titled)
Bruckner Symphony #9 (Reference Recordings RR-81)

Oblivion is very good if you liked the movie. Star Trek is also great. Oblivion is most excellent & I recommend it. Then there is Man of Steel. OMG! It total rocks. If your system has great bottom end you'll appreciate this one. The percussion is powerful. The America SACD is very good. I've always liked most of the songs on this disc & my fav is I Need You. The Bruckner disc I picked up b/c it was affordable and I like to buy things I haven't heard before. That is all for now. Pat
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Post by eagle6014 »

This week I bought a Blu-ray audio disc of Supertramp's Breakfast in America. I've had this music in various forms since it came out in the 70's from vinyl to CD's. This Blu-ray audio only disc is sublime. I hate to sound like a writer from TAS, but it's dynamic, crisp n' clean, detailed, etc... Everything you'd expect from a 24/96 audio format. I recommend it if you have the surplus scratch to buy it. Good day, Pat.
CAM00133.jpg
CAM00133.jpg (379.8 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good recommendations as always. I listen to a lot of soundtracks. When I'm not in my listening room doing "serious listening", I usually have a soundtrack internet radio station (streamingsoundtracks.com) playing in the house. I really liked oblivion and man of steel. I don't know why Man of Steel got such bad reviews (referring to the soundtrack). I thought it was subtle but truly excellent. They did a really good job with bringing a truly original score without using the well known John Williams motif.

I've been listening to a lot of Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits recently. I also picked up Bryan Adams's So Far So Good CD. Just a fun listen to some of his greatest hits. Highly recommend.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Post by eagle6014 »

My latest to spin in my player:
Floyd - Endless River. As a huge Floyd fan, it's a "must have" item.
David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock. Same as above
Styx - Paradise Theater on SACD - My all time fav Styx tunes.
America - Self Titled SACD. All time classic.
Queen - A Kind of Magic. I have this on reg CD, but the Japanese SACD is awesome. I can hear a huge diff. Much improved.
Roxy Music - Avalon on SACD. This is my 1st Roxy disc, but I've always wanted it and it sounds great. Highly recommended.
Roger Waters - Amused to Death on SACD - Gotta have my Floyd. I have the original CD from 20 years ago. But again, huge diff in the remix.
Soundtrack to the movie Sunshine (HDCD). Not the sci fi movie, but an earlier one. Very hard getting this disc in prime condition. Great sound.
Attachments
My stuff
My stuff
CDs.jpg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 826 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm also a huge Pink Floyd fan and got Endless River as soon as it came out. I think I was left a little disappointed that it was purely instrumental (except for one song or so). I was hoping for a little more "classic Floyd", but that didn't really happen. It's not a bad album, but probably my least favorite of all of Pink Floyd's albums.

I'm jealous of the Amused to Death SACD, I have the regular CD version and find that to be excellent.

I'll have to check out the "Sunshine" soundtrack. When I first saw your post I thought you were referring to the Scifi movie, which also had a great soundtrack BTW.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.