Where do you buy your music/movies?

Anything you can hear or see.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Where do you buy your music/movies?

Post by admin »

There are a couple of places that I will go to buy music. It really depends on what I am looking for however. There are certainly some great bargains to be had online, especially with older titles. I sometimes look on ebay or craigslist. Half.com is often a good source. And one of my recent favorites is gohastings.com. Gohastings will have periodic sales such as free shipping, or 40% off of all music and movies (they are having this sale today and that's what inspired me to write this). I will usually keep a list of titles that I would like in my collection and then periodically check them on these sites, especially when there are sales.

Of course the local music stores are nice, but there really aren't any near me except for places like FYE at the mall (and I rather not give my money to them). Old record stores are pretty much non-existent in my area but I know they do exist in larger cities.

For movies it's usually online as well, often amazon.com. Once again, I don't want to give my money to FYE or Blockbuster.

Laserdiscs I find mostly on ebay or locally on craigslist, although there are a few dedicated online shops (but their prices are often significantly higher). I tried buying some from half.com as one day I noticed that they list them but out of the 3 I ordered, one was improperly packaged and the corners got bent and the wrong edition of the movie was sent, one I got sent a compact disc of the concert instead of the actual video (I guess the seller didn't even know what a Laserdisc is and listed it under the wrong item). The good news is that 2 out of the 3 refunded my money due to their mistakes, but nonetheless I will not be buying from that source as the sellers are clearly not familiar with this format.

Any places that others recommend or have had good experiences with purchases?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
rthomeint
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Where do you buy your music/movies?

Post by rthomeint »

Like a lot of others Amazon.I've bought british DVDs from Amazon UK. When I am in Los Angeles I go to Amoeba music. http://www.amoeba.com
Last edited by rthomeint on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Animal
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Animal »

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I looked at the suggestion above. I usually end up buying CD's used. There is no degradation of sound, and often the price is just a fraction of the cost of the same CD new. At the same time I like supporting independent smaller shops so I may try to make some purchases from the suggestions above. If I find music at small local stores (not FYE or Blockbuster) I will tend to buy there as well.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

goHastings.com just had a sale with 40% off all used CD's, picked up a few for my collection at a reasonable price. Not bad I think.
Attachments
goHastings Order.jpg
goHastings Order.jpg (75.3 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

gohastings has been having some sales lately and I picked up some more used CD's. I got a pretty good deal on some SACD's as well which usually are a killer in price. Whenever they have a sale I try to go bargain hunting. :)
Attachments
order 3
order 3
goh-3.jpg (34.56 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
order 2
order 2
goh-2.jpg (39.88 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
order 1
order 1
goh-1.jpg (38.05 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
-admin