CA200 subwoofer connections

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
Jank
Regular
Regular

CA200 subwoofer connections

Post by Jank »

Hi all,
first CJ and first question.
I connected a sub to the pre-out of the CA200. It works, but with no bass management it's not easy to blend it in.
Which pre-out should I use - one or both at the same time with a jumper? Does it make a difference?
Plus the output markings are almost ineligible, not sure which is which...
I could use jumpers/splitters on both ends - the amp and the sub, or use 2 cables?
The main reason I'm asking is that the line signal seems to be weak, I have to turn the volume on the sub
pass 3/4. Thanks
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CA200 subwoofer connections

Post by admin »

First, let me welcome you to CJO, it's great to have you with us.

As for your questions:

Here is a picture of the back of the CA200 with the output markings (pretty) legible.

You don't mention what sub you are using, but most subs have level controls (at a minimum) so you should be able to control the overall bass amplitude relative to the higher frequencies. Is that not getting the results you desire? As for the line level "being weak", what if you connect the sub via the speaker wires and not via the preamp output?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Jank
Regular
Regular

Post by Jank »

Thank you for the reply. The subwoofer is a HSU VTF 2 mk2 with all the controls I need and desire.
I never had to turn up the volume past 1/3. Now - all the way to 3/4 to get some rumble.
Probably the line level signal from the pre-out is a little weaker, not driving the sub as much.
So,I wonder, if I double up on the output (both pre-outs) and input (into the subwoofer), might that help?
Is it even OK to do it that way. I'm not sure. 2 outs to 2 subs sure, but 2 outs into 1 sub?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would not "double up" as you put it. First, I don't think it will have intended consequences that you want. Also, if your volume on the sub is only 1/3rd, why do you need to boost the signal level? The idea is if you want more bass, just turn up the sub volume.

BTW, excellent choice on the Hsu sub, I run their VTF-15H. They make some great subs for the money.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Jank
Regular
Regular

Post by Jank »

I'm just trying to figure out the best settings for the CJ and the rest of the system. It's a new (to me) setup.
Now I'm having problems with CD ICs, as soon as I plug them into the CD jacks, there comes the hum
from the speakers. Probably ground loop. Tried another set of ICs, same thing. More work to follow.
And btw - I used a Y connector on the subwoofer side and the required volume went down to about %50.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see. The hum certainly may be a ground loop. If that's the case, changing RCA interconnects won't help. To diagnose the problem you should get a RCA connection ground loop isolator. They're really handy for diagnosing these kinds of issues. They're under $15 on amazon, I would highly recommend one for anybody with a serious stereo. Once it's confirmed, then comes the process of trying to isolate the component. I had some ground loop issues with my system a while back. Takes a loot of trial and error but usually can be fixed or significantly improved.

So using a Y RCA connector in front of the sub and amp increased the sub volume by double vs just doing a pass through? That's interesting as I don't think that's how it's supposed to work....

Let us know how it all turns out.
-admin
Jank
Regular
Regular

Post by Jank »

I used a Radio Shack meter to verify what my ears were telling me. Ran a bass frequency test tones with and
without the Y splitter at the sub inputs. Nothing else was touched.
The difference was bettween 1-5 dB, mostly +3dB in the bass region, when the sub was engaged.
So, yes, adding a Y-splitter increases the sub output.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Any explanation why it increased the sub volume but not the speaker volume?
-admin
Jank
Regular
Regular

Post by Jank »

Not sure, possibly the sub takes each line input, ads them together and passes the signal to the amp.
The speakers are not affected, since it's not in their signal path.
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by adeep42 »

Hello Jank,

I too have the CA200. Believe it's the finest integrated I've ever heard. Mine is completely silent.

I use the Theater Out (EPL 2) jacks to connect to my headphone amp. That might work for you.

As far as the sub is concerned, you could always try a REL. They use a Neutric Connector that is wired to the speaker out binding posts on the amp.

Best regards,

Alan
Jank
Regular
Regular

Post by Jank »

I think I'm done - it's working fine now. Got rid of the hum by lifting the ground on the CA200 end.
I make my own power cords, so it was not a problem. To alleviate the possibility of safety issue, I made
a thick copper IC with only the outer/ground lead connected and used it between the OPPO and CJ, to create an extra
ground return if needed. Just to make me feel better. This extra ground connection did not help with the ground loop
by itself, so I had to break the loop on the power cord.
I like the CA200, power and detail, but don't like the way the remote operates - power on/off.