PV-12AL channel bleed issue

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
RyanFerris
Beginner
Beginner

PV-12AL channel bleed issue

Post by RyanFerris »

Hey all, Im new here and just got my first CJ piece. A PV-12AL (with phono). I recently gave my old set up away and am building a new system from the ground up and the first piece was the PV-12. Im new to tubed Hi-Fi but not tubed equipment as I've been using tube guitar amps for decades, so Im pretty familiar with set up, biasing, troubleshooting tubes, light repair etc.

This is my problem with the PV-12. When I have a source plugged in such as a CD player and I switch to another input while the CD is playing (any other input...it doesn't really matter it happens on all of them) I can still faintly hear the CD playing through the speakers. Is this normal (im guessing not)? If not where in the circuit could this crossover be happening? Its happening on both channels as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PV-12AL channel bleed issue

Post by admin »

First, welcome to the site. Nice to have you with us.

I also own the PV-12. Do you get a crossover from from other inputs as well or just when a source is playing on the CD input? Is the loudness affected by the volume control or is static amplitude? Not sure where the crossover would be happening but unless you are playing two sources at the same time this probably would not be a real big issue.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
RyanFerris
Beginner
Beginner

Post by RyanFerris »

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes it happens on all inputs. The loudness is affected by the volume control but it is still faint. So my guess is a grounding issue or a bad/dirty selector switch. My version is the PV12AL and I happened across a schematic for the A revision that inst offered in our download here. I've attached the schematic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Much appreciated. I added the the file to our database.

If you think it may be a ground issue, you can try a RCA to RCA cable ground loop isolator and see if that fixes the problem. You wouldn't want to keep it in the system but at least it could help you diagnose the issue.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.