CA200 Theater Bypass and Pre Out setup

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
DSK
Beginner
Beginner

CA200 Theater Bypass and Pre Out setup

Post by DSK »

Hi Guys, I'm desperate for some help ...

I'm in Australia and just bought a CA200 off eBay (240v Export Model). It was advertised as "fully operational". However:

1) my source is connected to a Herron VTSP3 R2 tube pre-amp. When I connect the pre-amp's main output to the "EPL2/THTR IN" input on the CA200 and press the "Theater" button on the front panel to invoke the theater bypass ... nothing happens... the Theater LED does not light up, the volume level does not change to "- -" to show unity gain is activated and it does not seem to select the "EPL2/THTR IN" input.

2) if I connect the source directly to the cA200's "CD" input and my subwoofer to the CA200's "Pre Out" connection, the main speakers play fine but there doesn't seem to be any signal sent to the subwoofer. I even raised the gain and LPF frequency on the subwoofer to be sure.

I love the sound of the CA200 standalone but really need these functions to work.

Getting the CA200 to the "local" CJ dealer for assessment is difficult.

Does anyone have any ideas? Are there likely to be faulty circuits in the CA200 ... if so, would this be easy to fix and are parts available?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CA200 Theater Bypass and Pre Out setup

Post by admin »

Sorry to hear about your troubles. As for the questions:

1) If the LED is not lighting up and there is no sound coming out of the theater output I have to suspect a possible faulty button. It can be deeper in the system but certainly a faulty button can be causing your problem and mechanical pieces tend to fail more than purely electronic ones (in most cases). I am not familiar with the kind of switch they use but perhaps with a multimeter you can try to figure it out relative to the behavior of the other buttons?

2) If I am correct the CA200 does not have a designated subwoofer output. Is the preout RCA's giving signal in your configuration? I would test this out first. You may be able to overcome the issue by running the subwoofer inline between the CA200 and the speakers.

Let us know what's happening and maybe we can figure something out.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
DSK
Beginner
Beginner

Re: CA200 Theater Bypass and Pre Out setup

Post by DSK »

1) I tried the 'EPL2' source button on the remote control as well but this also appeared to do nothing. I also found that pressing the "Theater" button on the front panel will light up it's LED if (and ONLY if) the "Video" source is first selected. However, it still does not set the CA200 to unity gain or select the "EPL2/THTR IN" input as the manual suggests it should. The selected source should not matter as there are no sources connected to the CA200.

2) Correct, no dedicated Subwoofer output as such, it is meant to be connected to the Pre Out connection per the CA200 manual. If by "inline" you mean hang the main speakers off the subwoofer's "satellite" speaker outputs ... this would degrade the sound (and the left speaker cables wouldn't reach the subwoofer anyway).

Sorry, when I said "would this be easy to fix" I should have said "would this be easy to fix FOR A TECH" ... sadly, I wouldn't know what to do with a multimeter unless given very basic step by step instructions.