Too Much Gain

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
Duckman
Regular
Regular

Too Much Gain

Post by Duckman »

I have a Classic2 SE that I use to feed two amps I have (one at a time of course). With the Dennis Had Inspire KT88 all is good. It's dead quiet and at normal listening levels the volume control is set between 9:00 and 10:00 o'clock (6:00 is totally off).

When I put my newly C1 upgraded Premier 11A in the system I can just barely crack the volume off the fully closed position and it's as loud as the Inspire at 9:00. I am also getting a fairly loud "tube hiss" which can be faintly heard from across the room. I'm thinking this to is because of too much gain. It's only heard when the preamp is on and does not change with volume.

Speakers are very high efficiency. Klipsch Cornwalls.

Is there anything I can do help reduce the gain in the system.

Thanks. :)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Too Much Gain

Post by admin »

Duckman,
I moved this topic to the troubleshooting section of the site as I think it will get more appropriate attention here.

As for the issue with the gain. Have you tested out the Premier 11A in another system to make sure there is nothing wrong with the sensitivity, it just seems odd that a preamp and amp combo from the same company would not be matched well. As for a solution, I guess you can always put a resistor between the output of the preamp and input of the amp to lower the gain.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Duckman
Regular
Regular

Post by Duckman »

Thanks. Yes, it seems pretty bad that two CJ products won't play well together.

I just got the 11A back from CJ after having been upgraded / refurbed. Jeff At CJ says he played it for a week in two different systems there and proclaimed it perfect.

The preamp is new and works fine with my second amp.

Oh well. I like the little SET Dennis Had amp better anyway. :)

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Have you tried putting the Premier 11A into another system to see if it's just a bad mix with the speaker, the Cornwalls are ridiculously sensitive speakers.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Duckman
Regular
Regular

Post by Duckman »

No, this is my only system.

A friend suggested I replace the 5751 input tubes for 12AU7's which have much less gain. I'm a little Leary of trying it because CJ is so firm about not subbing tubes. I may try it anyway as a last resort.