CJ Sonographe SW1000/SW500 subwoofer

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
bostoncello
Beginner
Beginner

CJ Sonographe SW1000/SW500 subwoofer

Post by bostoncello »

After years of looking, I finally found an CJ/Sonographe SW1000 subwoofwer to match my CJ system and SL21s. Sadly, it has two woofers that cannot be repaired. I went so far as to contact David Fokos (who designed the speakers under the Synthesis line), but details on these custom woofers is just not available. As I search for replacement woofers, I am wondering if anyone has any details on these 10" custom woofers (which I think were also used on the SW500 and SRS).

Many thanks,

John
rust
Beginner
Beginner

Re: CJ Sonographe SW1000/SW500 subwoofer

Post by rust »

I have the SW1000, the SL-21, and the SX-1 active crossover, you need that to get them to work. I have no detail specification on them, all I know is David Fokos partner built them in his basement in Chicago, I think. But those woofers have rubber surround and should last forever. You may have to get something close.
bostoncello
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bostoncello »

Rust,

Thanks! I worked with Dave Fokos and Bill Thalmann to track down the person who crafted those woofers, John van Leishout, who now runs Van L Speakerworks in Chicago. John was able to repair both woofers (amazing work), and I'm happily listening to it with SL21s, an SX-1, SA150, and SD22 (my SC22 is headed to the shop). Bill's old Mitsubishi DA-M10 is driving the SW1000.

A quick question for you: what methods of isolating the SW1000 have you tried? I've spiked it, put Vibrapods under the spikes, and still want more, especially for organ music. ;-D This sub is a (beautiful) beast.
rust
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rust »

The SW-1000 is a truly amazing sub. I ran the SL-21 without the sub for awhile, and always like the sound. Then this guy offered me to buy his SX-1, and he would throw in the SW-1000 for free, so I got it for free (technically). What a night and day difference with the sub.

I haven't isolated the SW-1000 with any spike or pad, I am thinking the sub is heavy enough and it's side firing. I used the "crawling method" to find the right spot for the sub, and it worked.

I am glad that you found Mr. Van Leishout and he's still in business, if I have any need for speaker work, I'd contact him too.

I also have the Sonographe SG-3 turntable in my system, no Sonographe electronics, however.
earfortubes
New User
New User

Post by earfortubes »

Hello:

I read your post and see you have a Sonographe SG-3 turntable. I am trying to find one to buy and also am trying to document this TT's history back to the original Sonographe company in Portland, Oregon. One mystery is who actually designed this turntable. You read the audio website blogs and no one seems to know the answer to this question. Tried e mail to Conrad Johnson and Sota but no progress. May have to try patent search. How do you like your own SG-3?

Thanks, Rusty
rust
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rust »

Sonographe company made turntable in the early 80's, they came with Sumiko tonearm. CJ bought the company in the late 80's, 1988? CJ made some cosmetic changes, put oak wood around it, mechanically it was same as the original Sonographe turntable. I have no idea what's the name of the designer.
gregborowski
Advanced
Advanced

Post by gregborowski »

Hello, if anyone has a SW-1000 they want to sell, please let me know!