CJ ET3 ringing sound

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
Ovitzi
Regular
Regular

CJ ET3 ringing sound

Post by Ovitzi »

I have a CJ ET3 with a little problem. When I adjust the volume or change source I can hear a ringing sound. The relays are interferring the tubes. I have tried different tubes like Tesla, Jan Philips, Mullard, BUT only the "original" Amperex tube is quiet. I'm using tube dampers, first the original red rubber rings, and now a Eat cool damper, but still the same ringing. Anyone that have the same problem? Do I have to live with it or is there any diy solution?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CJ ET3 ringing sound

Post by admin »

Am I to understand that this is only happening when you are actively changing the volume or the source (and not there when your equipment is left to play)?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Ovitzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Ovitzi »

Yes thats right. The click from the relays are making a ringing sound.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I guess the question is how much does it bother you? I usually set the volume once per listening session, so it would not be a big issue for me. If the regular play is free from any distortion you may not want to take the risk/time/money to do repair. Maybe somebody with more electrical knowledge can chime in to give an explanation of what may be going on.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
plurn
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by plurn »

I have this on my ET5 with a lot of vintage tubes. The volume relays are quite violent and shake the tubes around causing a decaying ringing sound (a ting) on each click. This is despite the ET5 having an isolated daughterboard for the tube. The ET3 does not have this daughterboard.

The tings are normal for some vintage tubes according to upscale audio's website. Eg for tesla E88CC on their website "Like most 1960's vintage E88CCs, these may "TING!" when you flip switches on your preamp, but that's normal."

As long as the tube sounds fine while playing music I put up with it.

This does not happen at all for current production tubes so you could use them instead.

One thing I found that helps a lot is that rather than putting the rubber damper in the usual place on the tube, I use 4 dampers bunched up at the base of the tube coupling it to the tube socket. I think it acts a bit like a shock absorber. It drastically reduces the tings varying from almost inaudible to slight tings.

I have two thick dampers and two thin ones that came with my used ET5, though any size you can find would do.