Phono stage premier 2

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
Pegheds
Beginner
Beginner

Phono stage premier 2

Post by Pegheds »

I experienced a lightning strike that apparently damaged only the phono stage of my Premier 1.

Every line input and output, relay, timer, etc. works correctly. Power amp is fine.

None of the 5 tubes in the phono section light up or glow at all. I have swapped the 5965 tube and the tube is fine. I assume others as well.

Can someone suggest a possible solution.

Thank you.
Last edited by Pegheds on Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Phono stage premier 1

Post by admin »

Pegheds,

First, welcome to the site. It's nice to have you. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

So, first thing I would do is pop the cover off and look at the boards and components for a visual inspection. I would obviously concentrate on the phono section. Can you see anything that looks burnt out or otherwise defective. If not I would start checking the circuits for continuity and specs. You can download the schematic to the premier 1 here on our site (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=128.

Last but not least, do you use a power conditioner or surge protector? If not, I would strongly recommend one. Also, many of them offer warranties for the components connected to them so you may be able to get reimbursed for any repair costs.

Let us know how it goes. Take care.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Pegheds
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Phono stage premier 2

Post by Pegheds »

Thanks

The strike was severe. Happened in October but I just discovered the phono problem a couple of days ago. I lost computers, even though plugged into an APC battery backups, CNC machines, telephones and 30+ light bulbs! It is a miracle the Conrad Johnson preamp is working at all.

I took off the cover and saw nothing obvious. I downloaded the schematic. Will let you know how it goes.
Last edited by Pegheds on Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Phono stage premier 1

Post by joeinid »

Sorry you are having problems Pegheds. It's amazing to see the amount of damage lightning can create. I hope it's nothing serious for your stereo.
Pegheds
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Phono stage premier 2

Post by Pegheds »

Arrgh! I just realized I had a typo in the subject.

It is a Premier 2