PV-5 Turn on Problem

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
captaincrusty51
Beginner
Beginner

PV-5 Turn on Problem

Post by captaincrusty51 »

Hi all. I picked up a PV-5 that looked to be in pretty good shape but would not turn on. The power supply fuse was blown and after replacement, the led came on but the tubes did not light. The board looked pretty toasty around D25 so I pulled it out and replaced it. Now the tubes light but it doesn't want to come out of mute. Any suggestions on where to go next?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PV-5 Turn on Problem

Post by admin »

I would suggest downloading the PV5 schematic from our schematics database (if you have not done so already) and try to trace signal path that would influence both channels (as it sounds like both channels are effected). Then, you would have to start checking each component on that path until you find the defective item. I would probably also just check for any continuity errors between the components as that is easy and fast to do. Maybe a solder point cracked or just a "cold solder" somewhere and the signal stops there?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
captaincrusty51
Beginner
Beginner

Re: PV-5 Turn on Problem

Post by captaincrusty51 »

I've had the schematic and parts list to work off. From the little bit of troubleshooting I've done I seem to get voltage to the relay, but the relay is not triggering. I was hoping someone has seen and solved a similar issue. It looks like there are a couple of transistors and a diode in the relay circuit that may be the culprits.