tubes for MV-60

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
rudeces
Beginner
Beginner

tubes for MV-60

Post by rudeces »

I recently purchased a used MV-60. I was expecting EL-34 tubes but this unit had KT-120's. This CJ amp replaced my old modified Dynaco ST-60. I was surprised that the sound stage seemed to shrivel up compared to what I had become accustomed to with the Dynaco . The Dynaco is unavailable so I can't A-B them. Has anyone done tube rolling with the MV-60? I am using a Hovland preamp with Cardas Golden Reference cables, but found out the MV-60 sounded a bit better with a Nordst Blue Heaven coming from the preamp.
This is my first CJ product and I am impressed with the build quality. Looking for input from other CJ owners on tubes and cables that work well with this amp. thanks,
rudeces
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Re: tubes for MV-60

Post by eagle6014 »

Well according to the c-j web site, the MV-60 came w/ EL34's originally. I'm no authority, but the KT-120's may be drawing more power than the amp is rated for. I would switch back to EL34's before I used the amp again. That would be what I would do. I have a LP66S myself and I use Nordost Red Dawn speaker cables and Heimdall interconnects to it. I'm happy w/ the results. I also use a pr of Red Dawn interconnects from my Oppo to my ET3 pre. G'luck! Pat
rudeces
Beginner
Beginner

Re: tubes for MV-60

Post by rudeces »

Thanks Pat. I will be pulling the el-34's from my Dynaco.