MV-55 overhaul - some advice please...

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
RJKflyer
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

MV-55 overhaul - some advice please...

Post by RJKflyer »

Hi,

I have a PV-10AL and MV-55 combo delightful they are.

I've done some work on the PV-10 and now I feel I ought to look over the MV-55 as it is well over 10 years old.

Has anyone experience of what is likely to need replacing? I'm expecting to need to do electrolytics and obviously to look out for other heat-expired components, but if someone's been in and done it, I'd value their advice.

Also, any advice on the best way to dissemble?

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MV-55 overhaul - some advice please...

Post by admin »

A little late on the response....

Are you noticing a degradation in sound quality? Just because it's over a decade old doesn't necessarily mean that the electronics need to be replaced. Sure the tubes will degrade with many hours of use, but the rest of the components should be ok unless there is a specific failure in one of them.

As for disassembly, I don't think there is anything special to it. I find that taking apart Conrad Johnson equipment has been pretty easy, they don't use any specialized screws. Make sure it's unplugged... The screws are usually pretty evident on CJ equipment, I make sure not to over-tighten and make sure you use a hand screwdriver for the final tightening and not an electric drill (which makes the work easier to get a large number of screws in and out without making your hand cramp up).
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
RJKflyer
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Re: MV-55 overhaul - some advice please...

Post by RJKflyer »

Funnily enough I opened it up over the festive break and actually decided that it didn't need anything doing.

As you say, in spite of its age, it was visibly in very good condition - no signs of overheating and other ageing. To be fair, it gets pretty low usage and so this would be consistent.

Almost disappointed, as I was ready to do some updating and tweaking. But given it ain't broke...