Premier 11 Bias Led's all on

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
addsman1953
Beginner
Beginner

Premier 11 Bias Led's all on

Post by addsman1953 »

Hi,

I am new here - so hello to everyone.

My much loved Premier 11 has now got all it's bias led's on and the adjustment screws will not turn them off. What should I do?

Steve
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Re: Premier 11 Bias Led's all on

Post by jeffreybehr »

Sounds like bad tubes to me, but Conrad-Johnson will know.

service@conradjohnson.com
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Post by eagle6014 »

When something similar happened to me, c-j told me to put all the adjusters in the middle until I can replace the tubes. Those KT88 or 6550 tubes are easy to get ahold of. Music Direct out of Chicago sells Electroharmonix for $111 for 6550 matched pr and the KT88 for $117 matched pr. To me that's a bit higher then they used to be, but they're fast in shipping and their customer service is great. Tube Depot dot com also sells them, but they've yet to impress me. G'luck! Pat
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by pstrisik »

If all the LEDs came on at the same time, it seems it would be unusual to be all the tubes. When I first received my demo LP125M's, one LED was on even when I switched tubes. It turned out to be a problem with one of the pin springs in the socket. I'm not saying that's what it is here, that would be just as unusual. But it may be some other systemic issue affecting all tubes/sockets. Though swapping with a new tube in one of the sockets would be an easy test.

Is the amp playing at all?
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Peter

Dennis Had Inspire LP-2 preamp
Dennis Had Inspire KT150 amp
Thorens TD-145 MkII
Restored AR 2ax', Omega Super 7 XRS Alnicos
Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6/DAC Magic +
[/color]
addsman1953
Beginner
Beginner

Post by addsman1953 »

Thanks for the feedback guys - the tubes are not that old so don't think they would suddenly all go at once. Thought this would be a fairly obviou fault, but hey-ho. Yes I will email CJ.

The amp plays very well although I think the bass has become a bit overblown.

Cheers

steve
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

addsman1953 wrote:Hi,

I am new here - so hello to everyone.

My much loved Premier 11 has now got all it's bias led's on and the adjustment screws will not turn them off. What should I do?

Steve
Steve,
First welcome to the site, nice to have you. I hope you don't mind but I moved the thread to the Troubleshooting topic area as it will get more appropriate attention in this location.

As for the issue going on, sounds more systemic than a single tube but I agree that switching one tube to rule out a tube issue is something that can be done very easily. Giving CJ a call would be worthwhile thing in this situation. Let us know what happens.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
idektron
New User
New User

Post by idektron »

Test !