"blown" right channel on 17LS

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
decofan
Regular
Regular

"blown" right channel on 17LS

Post by decofan »

My "sposal unit" decided to play around with a couple of DACs while the preamp,amp,and both sources were on and connected. Apparently, there was a "not very nice" sounding noise and now the right channel will not "work". The front LED shows balance, the tubes "looked ok". Before I go any further, are there channel fuses which could have been blown and if so, where would be a good replacement source? Any other suggestions, short of the obvious 2 solutions (ship it to CJ and get a good divorce lawyer) are greatly appreciated! Thank You all!
System 1: CJ 17LS, CJ Premier 280 monos, MIT Shotgun 2, Rega RP6, Talon Ravens
System 2: Jolida JDT5, Quicksilver Silver 60 monos, Quicksilver Mid 40 monos, MIT AVT1, audioengine D1, Mourdant Short Performance 6
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "blown" right channel on 17LS

Post by admin »

So basically everything was on and you were connecting a new DAC to the unit? You heard the "not very nice noise" when you were connecting the RCA plugs in or everything was already connected and or happened randomly while everything was already connected?

Just trying to figure out if you were actively changing something while the unit was on or it just spontaneously happened. Was the DAC your using working or is there some defect with that unit. Despite what the DAC does, if it was already connected and working, I don't see why it would blow a channel (unless it was a complete random event).

Also I hope you don't mind that I moved this into the "troubleshooting" forum as it will get the appropriate attention here.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
decofan
Regular
Regular

Post by decofan »

Everything was on and connected with DAC#1. Then DAC#2 was hooked up and it would not work at all (another issue). So she went back to DAC#1 and when she was plugging in one of the RCA it made the "noise". I came in and turned off the system and hooked everything up with it shut down, I restarted the system and one channel did not work so I "rebooted" (sorry I am a computer programmer by trade) to no avail. I changed sources and it was the same on all the sources. So I pulled the preamp out and put in another preamp and everyone works with that preamp indicating the issue is with the CJ...thanks for helping and getting me to the proper forum,,,
System 2: Jolida JDT5, Quicksilver Silver 60 monos, Quicksilver Mid 40 monos, MIT AVT1, audioengine D1, Mourdant Short Performance 6
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try reading through this thread on audioaficionado.org as they talk about the fuses for the 17ls. I think pulling out the fuse and examining it or testing with a standard multimeter would be the first step.

In the future, ALWAYS have her turn everything off when plugging and unplugging components! In my system, I actually cut the main power to all the components through my power supply when making any changes as some components will still draw power even when "off". :)

Hope it's just a fuse. Let us know how it turns out.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
decofan
Regular
Regular

Post by decofan »

So here is the skinny. I pulled the cover and there is no fuse for the channel. I spoke with CJ, who told me the microprocessor got "scrambled" and to unplug it ,wait while, and go for it. ANd it worked
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great to hear! That's a pretty cheap solution. :)
-admin