PV-12 Preamp balance control failure (?)

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
vandeko
Beginner
Beginner

PV-12 Preamp balance control failure (?)

Post by vandeko »

Hi, everyone.
The balance control on my PV-12 does not seem to be working. Turning it from left to right there is only a small attenuation, but insufficient to cut the audio. Analyzing the schematics I've found that it makes sense, because the signal is never grounded in balance key. On the other hand, some friends have told me that this is normal in this model. I'm in doubt...
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PV-12 Preamp balance control failure (?)

Post by admin »

The balance control as you describe seems to be properly functioning. I own the PV12 myself (great unit). In the PV12, each "click" of the balance control attenuates the signal by only 0.75 db, for a maximum of 4 db attenuation at full right/left setting. In other words, it's a modest change used for correcting for room acoustics. This is NOT like many modern day receivers where you turn the balance nob all the way and the audio is muted in that channel.

In other words, your unit is working as designed! Hope this helps and welcome to the site!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
vandeko
Beginner
Beginner

Post by vandeko »

Thank you so much for replying, you went straight to the point.

Thank you for welcoming me, I also hope to help.
BNR_1
Regular
Regular

Post by BNR_1 »

Can someone clarify if the balance knob is set at the 12:00 position then it is evenly split between the left & right channel with 0 attenuation? Or am I suppose to have it set to the far left side for 0 attenuation? My goal is to have minimal to no attenuation but even on both channels.

Thank you
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BNR_1 wrote:Can someone clarify if the balance knob is set at the 12:00 position then it is evenly split between the left & right channel with 0 attenuation? Or am I suppose to have it set to the far left side for 0 attenuation? My goal is to have minimal to no attenuation but even on both channels.

Thank you

Center (12 o'clock) is even balance. Also, remember that even if turned all the way to the left or right, it's still only a few decibel attenuation (ie not to mute as many modern day preamps/receivers do).
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
BNR_1
Regular
Regular

Post by BNR_1 »

Thank you for replying with the info.