CPU lockup problems

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
ralphf
Regular
Regular

CPU lockup problems

Post by ralphf »

Over at AudiogoN there is a forum thread entitled "Conrad Johnson dedicated fansite" which starts out alerting users to the existance of this site. What's interesting is that the thread moves on to a discussion about lockup problems with CPUs in CJ pre-amps. One commenter mentions that Ed at CJ told him that static electricty and power fluctuations are the sources of the issue. I just wondered how common this issue is and if any solutions were discovered.
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Re: CPU lockup problems

Post by Ray »

Hi Ralph,

IMHO, the implication on "Gon" that it's a general problem with CJ preamps, is plain wrong.

I've owned ET5, ET3 and GAT now, and, as I'd mentioned, the CPU/Control setup CJ uses has been used for many years in prior CJ preamps.

In the several years of my own ownership, I've never experienced any kind of "christmas-tree" effect whatsoever...and mind you I have on occasion, drawn a static arc from my finger to the preamp! In one or two occasions I've managed to zap things, but, in each case simply powering down/up (via front panel switch) cured the issue. I've never had a total lockup and/or "christmas tree"

I don't doubt for a minute that the person mentioning the problem, in fact has the problem...and it VERY well could be a hardware intermittent/fault within his own preamp.

The point of CJ implying that the issue MUST be a power or static issue is in my opinion wrong, and taking 3 months for repair is in my opinion wrong as well.
-------------------------------------------------
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Custom Server running MC 23
Dual Synology 1512+ 12 TB total storage
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree with you Ray.

I don't think it's an inherent flaw in the design of all of their units as surely they would have constant complaints about this issue in multiple units. They would have changed the design by now if that was the case. A unit here or there will malfunction, I don't think there is anything that can be done to have a 0% failure rate. I have had those small "static arcs" as well with all my equipment but never any permanent issues. I don't know why CJ is taking so long with this gentlemen. I have spoken to Ed on numerous occasions when I have had any issues and he was always very prompt in answering questions, helping me out, and sending parts. I have a hunch that this is a unique problem with that persons unit and perhaps the folks at CJ simply can't diagnose the issue and that's why it's taking so long,... but who knows. Either way, I wish the best for the gentleman so that he can get his unit back in working order and continue the enjoyment of his CJ hardware.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
ralphf
Regular
Regular

Post by ralphf »

I suspect what both of you said is true but I thought it might not be a bad idea to survey the situation just to verify if that was in fact the case.
unclestu52
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclestu52 »

I've had issues with preamps locking up. A lot seem to be related to additional wireless and Wifi devices being added.
Usually a turning off of these products helps. If it does lock up, simply unplug the component for a minute and them plug back in.

Stu
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

admin wrote:I agree with you Ray.

I don't think it's an inherent flaw in the design of all of their units as surely they would have constant complaints about this issue in multiple units. They would have changed the design by now if that was the case. A unit here or there will malfunction, I don't think there is anything that can be done to have a 0% failure rate. I have had those small "static arcs" as well with all my equipment but never any permanent issues. I don't know why CJ is taking so long with this gentlemen. I have spoken to Ed on numerous occasions when I have had any issues and he was always very prompt in answering questions, helping me out, and sending parts. I have a hunch that this is a unique problem with that persons unit and perhaps the folks at CJ simply can't diagnose the issue and that's why it's taking so long,... but who knows. Either way, I wish the best for the gentleman so that he can get his unit back in working order and continue the enjoyment of his CJ hardware.
I should point out also that I've spoken with Ed many times over the years, he's one of the most gracious and helpful people I've ever dealt with. But having said that, for as long as I can remember, he's always seems to have 1000 things on his plate. CJ, along with Magnepan, run with skeleton crews, which means that the impatient folks (which I consider myself one of) wanting service, and wanting it now, can get frustrated. I can state from first hand knowledge, that it does NO GOOD WHATSOEVER to get snotty/nasty/impatient with CJ, or Magnepan for that matter. If anything the nasty hot-head (ME) will just make matters worse. Posting an email from ED on that other site, IMHO is bad form, pure and simple.

The upside for these companies running so frugally is that they are still in business. :)

I'd continue to state that taking 3 months for service is too long, no way around it, but I can't help feel that with slightly different tactics on the part of the person(s) wanting the help, could have made that time a bit less. again, just my 2cents worth on this, I guess I've beat this dead-horse enough.
-------------------------------------------------
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Custom Server running MC 23
Dual Synology 1512+ 12 TB total storage