KNOB Volume for PV12

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
discosoul
New User
New User

KNOB Volume for PV12

Post by discosoul »

Hi everybody
I'm a french owner of a preamplifier Conrad Johnson PV12
The volume knob is need to be replacing...(I try since several month ago, to solve the problem with contact spray....but no result)
Actually it's an ALPS 616N 50KDX2 (but it doesn't exist more)...
Anyone knows by what other ALPS Knob volume I must replace it (according the resistance and length of the spindle)
Thanks for your help
Bonjour de France ;-)
plurn
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Re: KNOB Volume for PV12

Post by plurn »

Sorry - I don't know. I would guess it is 50 kilo-Ohms (50kΩ, or 50,000 Ohms) based on the name. Also would need to be dual channel.

You could try asking Alps what the current equivalent is for a ALPS 616N 50KDX2, or try asking Conrad Johnson what the specifications are for the volume control.

I just had a look at the schematics for the PV12 and it seems to indicate that the volume control is 100k - so I might be wrong about the 50kΩ.

schematics available here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=128

Found this also which says how to clean the volume control. I know you already tried this but you could check that you did it the way that CJ advised - or try again:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=353#p4548

Good luck.
Anthony
pedalhead
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by pedalhead »

Hi guys. My PV12 also has a faulty pot (I think) as it's going from zero to very loud with just a mm or two of knob travel. I'm wondering if you found a suitable replacement? Thanks. Mark.
Mojofilter17
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Mojofilter17 »

All -

I am seeing a discrepancy between the PV-12A schematic and my unit. The schematic says that the volume control pot is a 100KOhm pot. The unit has a 50KOhm pot. This will greatly change the input impedance of the preamp. Any advice here?
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Don't worry, the control will act faster. Nothing to be worried about it.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.