Hiss/white noise ET5

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
applauz
New User
New User

Hiss/white noise ET5

Post by applauz »

HI

Has anyone experienced a fair amount of hiss with the ET5. Hiss is there with all tubes tried. My previous Prem 16 LS2 was silent in comparison. Hiss/noise is constant irrespective of volume/output level.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hiss/white noise ET5

Post by admin »

Couple of questions. When you say you tried tubes, you mean you put an entire new set in? If so, did the hiss change in quality with the new set, or exactly the same. Also, when you say hiss, are you sure it's not a 60 hz buzz, that could be ground loop issue. Ground loops tend to stay constant, that's why I ask. DId the ET5 always do this, or is it something new or a change from previous? Any new components in the system? Have you tried hooking up the ET5 to a different system to see if it's reproducible with a completely new set of components/power supply? Hopefully we can help you out!

I had "hissing" problem with my PV-12 and it turned out to be one bad tube. I've also had some ground loop issues in the past as well. But this clearly may be different.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola. If the volume control does not change the hiss, the problem is right at the preamp output stage. Contact CJ and tell them about your problem. They will guide you to track the problem. The unit should be dead of noise! Happy listening.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

Just as a point of reference...

I owned an ET-5 for a bit over 1 year.
The preamp drove a pair of JC-1s, and then to Magnepan 3.7s.

The primary input to the ET-5 was a W4S-Dac2.

with the DAC-2 powered on, the DAC-2 selected as in input, and the DAC-2 NOT playing ANY music, I had NO audible hiss whatsoever.
If I run the ET-5 volume control up to 99...at that point, there was a bit of hum and a slight amount of hiss.
Moving the volume back down, by 95 or thereabouts, all hiss/hum was no longer audible.

Not sure if this helps much..
-------------------------------------------------
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Custom Server running MC 23
Dual Synology 1512+ 12 TB total storage
ralphf
Regular
Regular

Post by ralphf »

In situations like this the amount of hiss you hear is to a degree dependent on the efficiency of your speakers. The more efficient your speakers the more hiss you hear.
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Post by eagle6014 »

Just to let you that your not alone in hearing hiss. My ET3 does it. Perhaps I should inquire about it as well. As ralphf said, I wonder if my speakers with their 94dB sensitivity could be the problem? I hear no hiss with just the amp on. When my pre finally clicks on, it's quite obvious. But once the music plays, it's no longer noticable. I haven't inquired about it b/c it's never effected the quality of the music. Pat
alecs
New User
New User

Post by alecs »

I to have the hiss experience problem with my et2. First insight was that it must be a ground loop but after several months of disconnecting and connecting I turned to my friend the MM. My amp DNA-1 measured +-3mv :D But the et2 showed 40-50mV :shock: My tubes probably have more then 2000hours on them, will a tube swap deal with this?

Thanks for reply!

/Alexander
Sweden
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alexander, welcome to the site!

As for your question. It certainly may be the tube reaching the end of it's life. 2,000 is on the shorter side, but after a couple of 1,000 hours they can start having problems. I think a good place to start would be to replace the tube as this is easy to do and relatively inexpensive. Also, having an extra tube on hand is never a bad idea as you can use it to diagnose problems. If you get a new tube and no change in the sound/hiss, you know the issue is somewhere else.

I had a "hiss" issue with my PV12 and changing the tube resolved the issue. Not only that but it significantly increased the clarity of the sound which I had not even noticed was diminished until I put the new tube in and had a chance to compare to the old.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.