Tubes for a PV10A

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
Dominic
New User
New User

Tubes for a PV10A

Post by Dominic »

Greetings, I need a new set of tubes for my PV10A pre-amp... I would normally get a set from CJ... but I m based on a small island in Asia, Sri Lanka, and Singapore is closest place for a choice of tubes... and I can get them quickly. Might this be worth doing or should I wait and get a 'set' from CJ itself?

Many thanks
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tubes for a PV10A

Post by admin »

Dominic,
First welcome to the site! As for your question, I think it depends on how quickly you need the replacement and how much are you willing to pay. You can call CJ up and ask them how quickly they could get a tube replacement to you. I'm sure they ship international (and there are shipping methods that can get you the part in a few days) but this may be very expensive. There are a lot of inexpensive sellers on ebay that often send from Asia (like china). These are inexpensive but their shipping methods are very slow.

I think you may want to call CJ up and talk with them. I had a tube go bad recently and I wrote about it here. It was actually a very worthwhile thing for me to call because I was advised on not only how to diagnose which tube was bad, but I ended up only needing 1 replacement instead of 2 (which I thought I would need). The PV10a has five tubes so you may not need to get the entire set replaced, but you may have to worry about tube matching of some of the tubes. It depends on the specific model. Once again, I would probably talk to "Ed" at CJ, he really helped me out and they will give you an honest answer whether you decide to buy directly from CJ or decide to buy elsewhere.

Good luck with finding some tubes, let us know how it turns out! Also, you may want to do a review of the PV10a here in the preamp section, especially if you open up that baby and take some pictures. I am always interested in hearing about other people's experiences with their CJ equipment.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
unclestu52
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Tubes for a PV10A

Post by unclestu52 »

Sri Lanka! Being a former Crown colony , you may ( I have no idea, never having been there, but I have met with Kavi Alexander who is from Sri Lanka) and you may have access to British NOS stock tubes. Even CJ loves the the NOS Mullards: their current obsession with the M8080, a British made military version of the American 6C4 results from them finding a cache of surplus tubes from leftover NATO stocks.

I believe your PV-10 uses 12AX and 12AU7's . That would translate to ECC83 and ECC82, IIRC. British mil numbers are different They often use a CV appellation or a M prefix. Those are excellent sounding tubes, with a fabulous midrange and bottom. Mullard(or was it Telefunken?) made tubes in India also they have the reputation of having a very nice midrange.

Don't ignore local sources, particularly old radio and TV repair shops.

Stu