Pioneer Elite CLD-97 Laserdisc player AC3 out mod

Do It Yourself - everything from building your own hardware to room
treatments.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pioneer Elite CLD-97 Laserdisc player AC3 out mod

Post by admin »

I am a big laserdisc fan and I completed an AC3 mod for my player this year. For those of you who do not know what laserdisc is, it's a video disc format that predated DVD. AC3 is essentially a Dolby digital 5.1 soundtrack that later players were able to output to a demodulator.

I have made a complete guide to updating the Pioneer CLD-97 with an AC3 output. You can download/view the PDF file at the following address:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3Or4a ... E9KVTVzRFk

AC3 chip
AC3 chip
110667.jpg (330.27 KiB) Viewed 3711 times
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
camusmuse
Pro
Pro

Re: Pioneer Elite CLD-97 Laserdisc player AC3 out mod

Post by camusmuse »

HA! great minds eh? I have many LD, but have been a Sony loyalist since the near beginning. So my main player is a MDP-800, though I do have a regular Pioneer with AC3out, though its mothballed, and finally a Sony Pro unit(the light grey ones), got a deal on it...it plays, but is not reliable....so I picked up the 800 with a bunch of discs....what I paid I would of paid for the discs alone....lol. I have a friend who was into LD from way back when it first started, still working on him letting me have the collection, he doesnt even have a working collection....heheh....

Nice to see Im not the only one that likes those big shiny discs....at least my sony has "autoflip". heheh.....dont think there are too many mods for it, but you have me thinking that I should look. I really cant remember but it might have a digital out already, will have to see....

update...yep toslink....One of the reasons I love Sony....toslink everywhere...lol
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice indeed! Laserdisc is still a great format, I actually prefer the audio mixes on some laserdiscs to newer DVD and Blu-ray versions of movies. I have 3 laserdisc players in my collection, two CLD-97's, both with AC3 mods (I really like this player, I think it has one of the best picture quality that I have seen among players). The only negative of the stock unit is that it doesn't have AC3 out so you don't get to enjoy those glorious 5.1 soundtracks. However, that is easily fixed with an AC3 mod. I actually bought the 2nd CLD-97 just in case if the first one breaks. I figure better to get one now, it's not like they make replacements anymore! Autoflip is a nice feature, I'm glad I don't have to get up and change sides either! I also have a "2nd backup" Pioneer CLD-D504 that was thrown in as a free extra when I bought a larger lot of laserdiscs. I'm currently getting close to the 1,000 mark on the number of laserdiscs in my collection. We watch about two laserdiscs a week in addition to blu-ray movies. We love it.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
camusmuse
Pro
Pro

Post by camusmuse »

For a long time I used it as my main CD transport too, hard to beat the build quality of the high end LD players. Was running it to the CJ SS DAC, (its the one pictured with your(and mine) "dream" dac. I found mine on craigslist for a song, hated to sell it, but again...wolves at the door. Plus I made a hefty profit even selling it on fleabay. I currently have my 800 in my secondary system that needs new amplification(I stole the Parasound HCA-855 to go to the main system that already has another 855.). I will have a channel left over on one of the amps as I am using a pair of Crown PS2 amps for the front and rear subs....yes, I know ANOTHER thread.... Didnt get squat done yesterday, just keeping the wife happy was tough enough(dont worry, no thread about that...lol)....I digress.