Crump...pwer cord

Do It Yourself - everything from building your own hardware to room
treatments.
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Crump...pwer cord

Post by Ray »

Anyone interested in building some "custom length" power cables....have a look..

The basic design here is what was done years ago and referred to as the "Crump Power cord"

I simply use the originally used cable (Beldon 19364) added some nylon mesh, a bit of shrink tubing, Marinco Connectors...and there ya have it.

In my case as in the original design, the Wire is: Belden 19364
The connectors are Hospital Grade Marinco from Parts Express (around $25 total for the two needed connectors per cord)
I also used some 1/4" black nylon mesh..and shrink tubing available from Parts Express or many other places.
The best price I've found for the wire is at Ram Electronics..a little over $3 a foot.

These are 14gauge, shielded, flexible, look great and if you're careful in measuring, will be the exact needed length for each component! :D

Here are a batch I built for my brother:
RAY_8064.JPG
RAY_8064.JPG (954.88 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
-------------------------------------------------
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Custom Server running MC 23
Dual Synology 1512+ 12 TB total storage
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Crump...pwer cord

Post by admin »

Very nice! As I mentioned in your member presentation post I have been looking to make some power cords as well. I have this techflex braiding that is in a "rattlesnake" design and it would be really cool to have my power cords match my interconnects. I just ordered some more RCA locking plugs so I have to build my interconnect first, but I think power cords may be on the not so distant horizon! Thanks for the recommendation and pictures. Very cool!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
billyz
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by billyz »

I have built a few of this formula and they do sound very good. I did not bother with the mesh outer. Only problem for me is my CJ gear all has captive cords. I know I can open them up and do a hard install , but have not done so yet. I did find that moving my PR11a power cord directly to the wall socket sounded better than going into the power strip( isobar). I also install a hospital grade ac outlet.
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

I think it's safe to say that I've now settled on the home-made crump style cords.

I have over the years converted "captive" gear to an IEC connector type, a lot of work really just to say I can swap power cords. (couldn't have done it without my trusty Nibbler)
And since when is it better to have another mechanical connection in a circuit than direct wire? I supposed the Audiophile argument would be that the "quality" audiophile grade power connector(s) along with the fancy-wire cord would be better than the original captive setup.

Yea the mesh in my case is only for looks. Actually the biggest improvement I've gotten with these power cords is that I've forgotten about power cords. It' soooo much more relaxing listening to music 100% instead of listening while wondering what power-cord/IC cable/tweak/fuse etc.etc. I could try. For me, power cords are now off the list forever. .. now what about those new fancy fuses, hummmmm. :)
-------------------------------------------------
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Custom Server running MC 23
Dual Synology 1512+ 12 TB total storage
Reginald Burton
New User
New User

Post by Reginald Burton »

admin wrote:Very nice! As I mentioned in your member presentation post I have been looking to make some power cords as well. I have this techflex braiding that is in a "rattlesnake" design and it would be really cool to have my power cords match my interconnects. I just ordered some more RCA locking plugs so I have to build my interconnect first and e cig lighter, but I think power cords may be on the not so distant horizon! Thanks for the recommendation and pictures. Very cool!
Your post is really helpful because you discuss here about some basic chords. I think I can manage them in my study. It will be very helpful if you provide us some doc file.
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Post by eagle6014 »

Well in the attached pic is my very first attempt at a custom length power cable. Bought the Wattgate IEC & Techflex through Parts Express. Bought the standard 3 prong and bulk cable at Ace Hardware. Tip to tip it's 22 inches. Comments?
Cable number one
Cable number one
Cable.jpg (746.58 KiB) Viewed 755 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

eagle6014 wrote:Well in the attached pic is my very first attempt at a custom length power cable. Bought the Wattgate IEC & Techflex through Parts Express. Bought the standard 3 prong and bulk cable at Ace Hardware. Tip to tip it's 22 inches. Comments?
Cable.jpg

Very nice. I really like it. May I ask you much was the cost of the parts?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Post by eagle6014 »

That single cord cost me $42 in materials. It's 16 gauge and I needed it to go from my PS Audio power base to the player sitting on top of it. PS Audio included a cheap 12" cord, but it was straining the sockets really bad. I bought extra materials to make another cord so I'll be doing that soon. Making these cords is much easier that I thought. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. PK