Sony BDP-S570 Blu-ray Player

Media players, TV’s, projectors, cables, HTPC’s, and any other hardware.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sony BDP-S570 Blu-ray Player

Post by admin »

I recently bought a Sony BDP-S570 blu-ray player as it had a few things going for it that made it an appealing upgrade from the Playstation 3 I was using to play movies. Some of the features were that it could bistream the lossless audiotrack directly to my receiver for decoding there. The PS3 would only convert them to PCM prior to sending it out (the new slim ps3 models can now bitstream but the fat ones don't). Also, it was reported to have very fast load times, even faster than Oppo players. And since it was a slightly older model, with the older firmware it would still play backed up cinavia protected content. I was really mad at Sony when they removed SACD support from the PS3 and I'm happy to have another SACD player. Now I have a dedicated SACD player (Oppo) for my 2 channel setup, and have another player specifically for my 7.2 setup as well.

The only downside I currently see is that there is no eject button on the remote control which I found to be weird. But there is a manual eject button on the unit and it pops the disc out in a second so this is really not a major issue.

I played my first movie on it yesterday and I am happy to report that it works great. Picture quality is excellent (I couldn't tell any difference compared to the PS3) and the sound was amazing playing a DTS-HD bitstream. I still have the PS3 connected as well for games, streaming services, etc... but I am definitely going to stick with this player for movie watching for the sound and simple convenience of faster load times.
Attachments
Sony BDP-S570
Sony BDP-S570
x158BDPS570-o_Top.jpeg (7.72 KiB) Viewed 5505 times
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Re: Sony BDP-S570 Blu-ray Player

Post by eagle6014 »

It was no surprise that my Yamaha BD-S1900 stopped reading blue discs. I tried a firmware update, but it won't recognize the USB flash card when I put it in. I always knew in the back of my mind that I was going to replace that thing soon. Naturally I want the best disc player out there, but at this very moment my budget says not yet. I did however get $100 in gift cards from Best Buy. So I took advantage of that so that I could at least spin blue discs until the time comes when I can get a new Oppo player. I have for now a new Sony BDP-S590. Honestly I thought it would be a waste of my money, but the picture quality is outstanding. The 2 ch analogue outputs totally suck though. I mean barf-o-rama is the best I can say about that. It works, but the player really wasn't designed for that or at least Sony wasn't going to waste their time/research on that aspect of the player. They obviously know most people will feed the HDMI output to a receiver and then let the receiver do all the audio work. That's fine n' dandy if you do that, but I do not. Until the Oppo then.....
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

eagle6014 wrote:It was no surprise that my Yamaha BD-S1900 stopped reading blue discs. I tried a firmware update, but it won't recognize the USB flash card when I put it in. I always knew in the back of my mind that I was going to replace that thing soon. Naturally I want the best disc player out there, but at this very moment my budget says not yet. I did however get $100 in gift cards from Best Buy. So I took advantage of that so that I could at least spin blue discs until the time comes when I can get a new Oppo player. I have for now a new Sony BDP-S590. Honestly I thought it would be a waste of my money, but the picture quality is outstanding. The 2 ch analogue outputs totally suck though. I mean barf-o-rama is the best I can say about that. It works, but the player really wasn't designed for that or at least Sony wasn't going to waste their time/research on that aspect of the player. They obviously know most people will feed the HDMI output to a receiver and then let the receiver do all the audio work. That's fine n' dandy if you do that, but I do not. Until the Oppo then.....
I don't care much for the analog outs of the BDP-S570 either. I bitstream the audio right to my receiver which has a very good DAC. I only use it for Blu-ray movies and not pure audio so my requirement is not that extreme. I think the next upgrade would be to one of the new oppo players. I have a complete separate and isolated system for music listening. I use an oppo player there as a transport and utilize a Conrad Johnson D/A-2-b processor which so far has outperformed anything else I have heard (for 2 channel audio).

I find that the picture quality among different blu-ray players is not that much of a big difference. Sure, the Oppo's are going to look better on blown up screen grabs of test patterns, but I find it next to impossible to notice the difference while actually watching a movie. Still, I wouldn't mind picking up the new Oppo BDP-105! :)
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
miatadan
Advanced
Advanced

Post by miatadan »

I do not use blu-ray player to play blu-ray discs. I have AnyDVD to get rid of copyguard and than create disc image on SSD anf than use PowerDVD 12 Ultra to play blu-ray file. No loading at all, no trailers and because it is disc image still have DTS HD Master 24 bit outputing to stereo system,
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by pstrisik »

I just picked up a BDP-S790 (I think that's correct) to replace a Sony BDP-Nxxx that died. I don't use the analog outs. I have HDMI going to my pre/pro for watching netflix. This model allows Netflix with dolby digital and subtitles. I also use the coax digital out to my DAC for listening to Pandora. Even more complex, I use the dual HDMI outs, each going to a different input in my pre/pro. One is for watching video with sound processed by the pre/pro. The other goes to the pre/pro input that has sound coming from the BDP's coax => DAC => pre/pro. So I get the good sound and still can have the video display for album info and control.

These BDP's are great for video and not bad for CD/internet music as long as you use digital out to bypass the internal DAC which is very poor. I use a Dune for streaming music from hard drives, but the Sony can do that as well as it displays the NAS drives for access.

.....Peter
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Peter

Dennis Had Inspire LP-2 preamp
Dennis Had Inspire KT150 amp
Thorens TD-145 MkII
Restored AR 2ax', Omega Super 7 XRS Alnicos
Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6/DAC Magic +
[/color]
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

miatadan wrote:I do not use blu-ray player to play blu-ray discs. I have AnyDVD to get rid of copyguard and than create disc image on SSD anf than use PowerDVD 12 Ultra to play blu-ray file. No loading at all, no trailers and because it is disc image still have DTS HD Master 24 bit outputing to stereo system,
So basically your using a computer as your media/blu-ray player. So you run an HDMI out to your reciever from the computer, correct? Does PowerDVD 12 Ultra give you any problems with Cinavia protection which currently can't be stripped from blu-rays (as far as I know)? I will also rip Blu-ray's so I don't have to go through the endless mandatory trailers, warnings, menus, etc. One of the reasons I bought my BDP-S570 was because it had an older firmware that does not detect Cinavia so I could play copied blu-rays.
pstrisik wrote:I just picked up a BDP-S790 (I think that's correct) to replace a Sony BDP-Nxxx that died. I don't use the analog outs. I have HDMI going to my pre/pro for watching netflix. This model allows Netflix with dolby digital and subtitles. I also use the coax digital out to my DAC for listening to Pandora. Even more complex, I use the dual HDMI outs, each going to a different input in my pre/pro. One is for watching video with sound processed by the pre/pro. The other goes to the pre/pro input that has sound coming from the BDP's coax => DAC => pre/pro. So I get the good sound and still can have the video display for album info and control.

These BDP's are great for video and not bad for CD/internet music as long as you use digital out to bypass the internal DAC which is very poor. I use a Dune for streaming music from hard drives, but the Sony can do that as well as it displays the NAS drives for access.
That's a pretty complex setup! I agree that the sony players do a good job with the video but I would not want to use their DAC unless I absolutely had to. For movies I really like the DAC in my Onkyo TX-SR875 reciever. The 7.1 soundtracks really shine. For 5.1 I like to use a DSP called "Neural THX 7.1" for the back channels. I am usually not a big fan of any kind of DSP but this one I actually like quite a bit for getting those extra two channels from the 5.1 source.

For 2 channel music it's my Conrad Johnson D/A-2b.
-admin