Oppo Digital Closing

Media players, TV’s, projectors, cables, HTPC’s, and any other hardware.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oppo Digital Closing

Post by admin »

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

I was very sad to see that it appears that Oppo Digital is going to be closing. I have owned a number of their players over the past decade and I heard that their headphone products were also liked by enthusiasts. They really made high quality products and have never had an issue with any of their equipment. It looks like they will be supporting their products but no new models are expected in the future.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Wildcat
Master
Master

Re: Oppo Digital Closing

Post by Wildcat »

I've owned the 105 for a few years and it's been the best digital sound I've had in my system so far. I was on the mailing list for one of the last 205s, but I had since decided my next move is going to be a PS Audio DirectStream/Bridge II or the DirectStream Junior, since I play music from a server these days. I'll still hold onto the 105 since it is one of the few players on which SACDs can be ripped. Aside from the 205, I had also considered the Sonica DAC (especially after hearing the Modwright version at AXPONA last year). Yet like the 105 (and 205 for that matter), they still can't play back gapless across a network.

Their headphones are indeed quite good--I bought the PM3 since I wanted a good closed-back headphone system. I'm not a headphone fan but those are very comfortable and are the best sounding headphone I've owned yet. I can use them from the 105's headphone output, or for portable use I am using an Audioquest Dragonfly Black.
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I am always waffling between two systems and three.

After a recent sell off I had the CJ CA150 and the Revel M126Bes, in a nice sized room, but no sources. The CA150 and M126Bes were in the queue to also be sold, perhaps around Christmas.

These two units seemed lonely, and so I picked up an OPPO BDP-105 to put them to use.

Good call. It’s very nice.

And although the last of the OPPO production was bid up, prices have returned to some semblance of normal.

I’ve been playing some CDs and SACDs tonight, and the 105 is giving a very credible account of itself.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree. The Oppo players have always been excellent value. I still use one of their older DVD players as a transport in my audio setup. I also have the 103 in my home theater system. Shorly before they were going out of business I bought a 105 "just in case I wanted to upgrade" in the future. The prices skyrocketed after they declared they were ending production. I would not have been using the DAC side of the unit so I bit the bullet and decided to sell as I did not have the need to have a 3rd oppo player in the same component rack. I'm still somewhat conflicted about letting the unit go but I think it was the right decision. I simply was not using it and it sold for nearly 3 times the MSRP.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Good investment 😁.

I bought this one from a fellow near you who appears to have collected them, and may now be liquidating.

Amazon has 3 used for sale in the $1400+ range.

EBay prices vary widely. Some sell, some sit.

I made an offer on the one I bought, and I was happy with the resultIng deal.

I was surprised at how many things it could do. I am running it in the “pure audio” mode.

I can hear that it does not sound as close to real as the Marantz SA-KI, but from memory, it is on par with the Marantz SA8005, and might better it a bit, but it’s close.

I did not get in on the Oppo craze, but I was aware of it.

I bought this as a stop gap measure to make use of the CA150 and M126Bes until I sell them. Then it will go to be a true video player at the other house, replacing a $49 unit purchased at WalMart.

I am actually waiting for Revel to begin shipping the full range in requested quantities again. After the initial COVID-19 panic here, the high end audio store I trade at was very anxious to move some inventory to protect cash flow. I agreed to take a white pair of M126Bes on the condition that they could be swapped for the wood finish model when the wood finish model was back in distribution later this year.

I really liked the M126Be, and so I went back and also bought a pair of the F228Bes. I like these even more.

So ... if I do decide to sell the M126Bes, it will be after I’ve swapped them for the NIB wood finish version.

The truth is, if I get into the habit of listening in that room again, I may not sell. I do like having a listening room in the main house here. Some nights, especially when there is heavy rain, it’s nice not to have to go out to the shop where the main system is located.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice. I agree there was/is an "oppo craze." I think their customers were very loyal (me included). At the end of the day they offered high performance and customer service at a very reasonable price. They kept entry points where the (slightly above) average consumer could buy their equipment and it was noticeably better than what you would find at a big box store.

I only have one listening/home theater room so I generally pick and chose what equipment I am running and have little overlap with components. I've never regretted an Oppo purchase and was very sad to hear when they announced their demise.
-admin
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

Well, it's been a couple of years now and I went with my DirectStream Jr. choice above, and now play all digital through Roon, supplementing it all with a Qobuz subscription. My 105 sits here unused, except to rip the occasional SACD across the network. Pretty expensive as an SACD ripper, when I could be doing the same with a cheaper Pioneer or Sony. But...I can't imagine getting rid of it.

But what I might do is get a 103 (or a 203?) as there is an aftermarket board can convert the HDMI output to an I²S output, which I could use as a transport for the DirectStream. There were still boards available last time I looked. Then I tell myself that since I play everything over the network now, I don't need something else I would rarely use, and have no room for.
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have two oppo players in my system currently (one as a transport for music and another for watching movies). Love both of them and I can't see myself giving them up at this point.

I wasn't aware of the aftermarket boards for the players. I may have to look more into that to see what is offered.
-admin
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

If I remember correctly, the boards are less than $300 and for those comfortable with popping the hood they allow the Oppo to process/pass along the SACD signal. Oppo wasn't able to do so natively because the company balked at paying Sony for the right to do so.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

admin wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:49 amI wasn't aware of the aftermarket boards for the players. I may have to look more into that to see what is offered.
Here it is...and don't be too tempted by all the other mods. ;) (Linear power supply, precision clocks, digital output upgrade board, etc.) It'd be too easy to go overboard and order a few of these!

http://www.oppomod.com/

Look for "I2S Upgrade Board," $220.

The I2S only works with a small number of DACs. From what I understand, I2S is the "raw" digital signal that comes straight off of the disc. That could be, like JA says above, why there may have been licensing issues with Oppo. Although at the time, there were so few DACs that were I2S capable that from a business standpoint, it really didn't make sense that way either.

I don't see the upgrade being worth the cost unless you have an I2S capable DAC. I2S uses an HDMI cable, but it is not HDMI data. (It was less expensive to use existing plug/cable formats than to introduce yet another unique connector.) I really want to get one of those boards before anyone stops making them, but I'd have no way to test it until I got my hands on a 103.

Confirmed, too--the board works with the BDP-103, -103D and -203. Supposedly the seller (Oppomod) is nice in that if the card doesn't work, he'll send out another to try. It's a shame there isn't a board for the 105, as I'd install it in mine.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/i2s-output- ... ty/6082/45
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Really interesting. I was not aware of these mods.
-admin