Quad ESL-2912 ...

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Quad ESL-2912 ...

Post by joeinid »

I've been thinking about the Quad ESL-2912 speakers.

Can you talk me out of a pair? I need to hear the good and the bad.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Quad ESL-2912 ...

Post by admin »

Good= I'm a huge fan of planar speakers. I just absolutely love their sound. I've been using planar speakers (Martin Logan's and then Magnepan) as my primary speakers for years and I don't see myself going back to cones anytime soon.

Bad= $$$

If you do end up getting them, please let us know your thoughts. They look amazing.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

A friend is doing some legwork for me and he may even get a pair too. He heard them at RMAF this past weekend and was blown away with what he heard.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Hi Joe,

I owned the two (?) generations previous model the 989s for years paired with both c-j tubed and solid state gear. If you want pants flapping bass, they may not be for you but even so I was able to "load" the room, if you know what I mean, when playing them at fairly high levels. Three "C" letter words come to mind when describing them: clean, clear, coherent.

Never had the pleasure of hearing your Sonus faber Stradivari. However, about 10 years ago I did hear one of their floor standers paired with a c-j preamp (think it was the same one I had, the 16LS2) and a pair of c-j monoblocks and was seriously impressed. The Sf were sweet, detailed and dynamic as I remember. By definition they're going to be more dynamic than a full range electrostat. The Quads on the other hand were seamless with all of the music cut from the same cloth, as it were. They also imaged beautifully.

If you have the opportunity, please give them a listen.

Regards,
Joe

PS: Just did a search a came across a review of the Stradivari and they indeed may have been the ones I heard because they look like what I remember. Bear in mind, however, that you're going from a $40k Sf to a $14k Quad and I can't help but wonder...
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Joe, ok this thread I didn't see but I remember posting something about Quads (2905's) before and a couple times to various other posts, anyway I never get tired of talking about them, after all they are my current favorite speaker of all time.

Just a bit of history:
1. The Quad ESL was designed by the legendary Perter Walker, and still to this day, many other stat panels cannot match what the Quads can do.
The ESL 57: was extremely fussy with a lot of amps, very fragile at the same time and a complete disaster if over driven or under driven. To match it completely well was a huge challenge and to many was off-putting. However, still to this day, its midrange cannot be beaten! The most beautiful midrange reproducer you will ever come across.

2. The ESL 63: was a refinement from all the problems associated with the ESL 57. Better dynamics, protection circuitry built in (so over driving wouldn't be a problem), and incorporated the proprietary concentric ring anodes. This was the magic of the ESL 63 and stills remains it all of Quads designs.
The concentric rings act like time delays, where the signal starts from the center ring and works its way across the outer rings. Similar to the "ripple effect" when throwing a pebble into a pond. This forms a "spherical"wave front, and when listening to the speaker the following traits happen:
(a) More depth in soundstage- seems to start from behind the panels
(b) Makes listening an absolute pleasure, absolutely non fatiguing- you could listen for endless hours.
(c) The panels simply disappear, leaving just a simple and stunning soundstage with all the performers in full 3-D affect to the core.

3. Some of that ESL 57 midrange magic was preserved in the newer series and later models incorporated multiple panels to generate more bass, causing the midrange magic of the ESL 57 to slightly diminish. Therefore, the later models cannot reproduce that pristine midrange of the ESL 57 but can certainly reproduce some special midrange magic to a certain effect with a very good top end and tight bottom end giving the newer ESL's more dynamisim and bass that was not possible in previous models.

That's part 1
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Part 2

Moving along the years, when Quad was in financial difficulty, and a new firm took over as their parent company, Quad started making dynamic driver types. Some were successful and some were not, then later came out with newer stats panels (988 & 989); ok to a certain extent but again couldn't do dynamic thumps too well and had cut-out problems. They were also made with inferior plastics and didn't have the real wooden panels unlike the original ESL's.

Around about 1999 to early 2000, Ken Kessler and a team of chief designer, including the CEO of Quad (David Patching) went and visited Aka Alastair Akerman from SME, and were stunned to see what they saw. Double stacked ESL 63's with massive bracing, which made a total weight of the ESL's to some serious 200 kg, around about 400+ pounds. From head to toe, this included full metal bracing with a heavy duty steel base that weighed nearly 100 kg alone. This was not a system for the average user, nor could it be possible to simply install something like this in the average home either.
However, what they heard was unlike no other, and from that point on-wards the Quad design team and David new that they could build a totally radical design capable of great powerful dynamics along with the speed and accuracy of an electrostat; thus was born the ESL 2805 and 2905.

These are completely different stat panels compared to all ESL's ever made. Full steel bracing from top to bottom, steel base, with an additional 10 kg bottom plate that is bolted to the underside of the panel when finally placed on its feet. New spikes have been designed for better de-coupling and heavier foundation. Aluminum bracing on each side of the panels, plus a fully tensioned aluminum centre bar that can be adjusted for tension was finally positioned to give the panel a rock solid placement. Totaling the of the ESL 2905 to over 42kg, and the ESL 2805 to about 35 kg. This allows the user to place the panels around more easily compared to a 100 kg weight and once placed does not flinch even once whiles music is playing.

When I had my maggies, I could very slightly see the panels moving freely in mid-air. Hence, this lead to many bracing designs that made the maggies more dynamic and present a more solid image but looked but ugly and was not an effective design, leaving only the original feet in place.
The new Quads 2912 and 2812 are exactly the same as the 2805 & 2905, the only differences are cosmetic, and internal wiring layout. Other than that the rest of the panels are exactly the same, incorporating the original concentric ring anodes to that of the ESL 63.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Part 3 and final notes:

Beginning from the ESL 57 & ESL 63 (starting in the 50's) and now we have the 2812 & 2912 or the 2805 & 2905 (mid 2005 to 2012/2014); the Quad stat panel remains the same, giving it that pristine midrange and fantastic imaging/ soundstage and depth that cannot be matched to this day.

There are certainly better speakers out there for far more money. Costing twice or three times the price, plus many superb dynamic drivers out there such as Wilsons, YG Acoustics and so on but to me when it comes to actual dollars and superb value for money, a fully coherent speaker, extremely well balanced and an all round reproducer from any music genre, an absolute delight to listen to and very hard to get rid of (I nearly went off the rails with Analysis Audio), these traits are hard to find in such a stat type panel, and the new Quads are exactly that. Hence, the reason why Kenny Kessler gave the 2905 a perfect 20/20 on full comparison.

To me the 2912 or the 2905 has no faults, other than a matching load. The impedences do dip down to nearly 0.7 Ohms and would suddenly peak to around 20 Ohms, this re-active load causes many solid state amps to crap themselves. Good solid state amps with plenty of current drive and solid power supplies such as Pass amps, Mac or Sander's Magtech amps or the Brystons would be a perfect match for Quads. However, although these solid state amps can drive the Quads with ease, I personally think they're better matching them with ribbons, like the maggies, there is something special going on between ribbon and well designed solid states.

Having said that, the Quads or stats for that matter in general to me sounds far more magical when driven with tubes. Virtually any tubes would do, even 300B SE 8 watters are a treat to listen to with Quads but are limited in dynamics. The more powerful 2912 or 2905 can be better driven with a few more watts of tube power, anything from 50-60 is fine, and I find more musical compared to huge monoblocks. The Quads don't benefit from more power since they have input power limits. A total voltage of between 10V to 55V RMS is permitted, that around 100 to 150 watts of continuous power, which is more than enough to allow you to enjoy your music. After all Quads are not about blasting the roof off, earth shattering bass nor transients to shatter wine glasses... these are simply the best of stat technology you are ever going to get and one that is well built and very well designed by a legendary company. Simply put- there will never be another Quad!

The only major draw back that I can think of is; they do require a fair amount of space behind the panels to create that magic, with a good amount of space between the panels. Not a major issue with the sides because the sides have virtually no interaction with the panels, which is a good thing unlike dynamic drivers. Listening to Quads at near field is not a problem either because they do not hurt or annoy your ears due to the back wave radiating pattern of those legendary rings. However, if you can place these in a large room, with plenty of space around them, ideally around 4 to 6ft behind the panels, they will reproduce a soundstage like no other.

That's all I need to say, hope it wasn't too much or too boring. I have lived with so many types of speakers in the past, including the mighty Wilson's, all I can say is that to own a simple system with superb coherency and glorious music in all forms with the full spectrum of smooth highs to great bass, plus a pristine electrostat midrange, the Quad ESL still remains that same ESL in its true musical essence since the 1950's.

Cheers! RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Amazing review. Thanks for that run down of Quad history. Although I have never owned Quad's myself, I'm a big planar speaker fan. Interesting read.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

RJ,

+1

OMG!

Thank you so much for the history and you opinion. I sincerely appreciate your efforts. A good friend of mine was blown away by the 2912's at RMAF. He loved them. I am sure that I will love them as well.

admin wrote:Amazing review. Thanks for that run down of Quad history. Although I have never owned Quad's myself, I'm a big planar speaker fan. Interesting read.
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

I too have owned, used, and loved Quads.

I started with one pair and then stacked '57s; they sounded excellent with woofers, but I didn't have the money then to buy a high-Q, low-enough-power poweramp, so this lover of large-scale, Romantic-period Classical music eventually replaced them with something more conventional. Years--decades? I've been in this obsession/hobby for over 50 years--later, I had a pair of 989s driven with off-brand tubed amps of c. 100 Watts and later c-j Premier 11As. That system sounded excellent overall but sort of wore me out with too much treble.

I'm now contemplating Roger Sanders' hybrid 'stats (the newer model 10d) along with a c-j ET250s hybrid poweramp. With their overall high sensitivity rating of 94dB and my low listening levels compared with the head-banging, self-deafening dideeboppers, the '250's 400 WPC into 4 Ohms ought to be PLENTY of power and current.

I heard the Sanders 10d system at RMAF last WE and fell in love with the sounds. Since I own and love the sounds of both an MET1 6-channel preamp and MET150 5-channel hybrid poweramp*, I thought the '250 ought to sound equally excellent driving the panels of the 10ds.

* ...which allowed both my CC speakers, an Eminent Tech. LFT-12 (Imp.)...

...and a Vandersteen VCC-1 (Imp.)...
...to sound better than I'd ever heard them.

FWIW, the Crown amp (driving the SuperSubs) in both pics has been replaced with a pair of plateamps. I'll use the Crown to drive the bass modules of the 10ds.
Last edited by jeffreybehr on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Jeffrey, nice to learn that you had the esl 57's & 989's as well. Driven with the prem 11A, I am surprised that the treble (highs) were too much...
If at all, this combination with a cj preamp, prem 11A and Quads are a match made in heaven.

The Quads will produce that superb depth and level of soundstage that would take a lot more in spending to achieve that level of transparency and refinement. To top it up, driven with cj amplification, the musicality and layering of the full sound stage is remarkable. Plus cj amps are so relaxing to listen to, you do actually enjoy your music for endless hours. Don't really know why a premier11 would be bright.

The sanders stats are great, if that's what you're after. They also come with one of Rogers magtec amps, which is a great amp for the value. However, the only thing I found on the sanders compared to the Quad 2905/2912 was the sanders sounds a bit thin in the midrange and top-end. Also didn't have that great depth of the Quads.

The only area it excelled in was if course the bass being a hybrid design. It is not a full range stat. It is also a very powerful panel and can certainly reproduce far greater dynamics with excellent slam. Overall to me that's about it, the Quads are far more musical and as I said with cj gear, that musicality factor is definitely a personal preference.

Let us know how you go with the sanders, certainly good to learn new experiences especially with stats.
Have a good one, cheers.
RJ
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I, like RJ, was a little puzzled about the bright observation regarding the 11A paired with the 989's. That was exactly the combination I had going in order, from a PV10A to a 17LS to a 16LS2 in the preamp department. Bright was never a word I would've applied to any of the combinations. So much is dependent on the listening room and the other components in the system that it's difficult to say but it did strike me as odd.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

Gentlemen, the '989s didn't have too much treble energy with only the '11s, they were too bright with all amps I tried, which is why I sold them.

RJ, thx for your observations on the 10ds v. 2912s. I've decided to start this next evolution of my system with a new c-j ET250S from Spearit. We'll see how it sounds driving my pair of Audio Physic Avanti III (Imp.)*. Spearit's GM, Richard Moulding, has even agreed to extend Spearit's 7-day-return-for-cash period to 30 days in this case of an amp built with (apparently) lots of '500-hour' Teflon-film caps.

* Currently driven VERY nicely with a pair of paralleled-channels First Watt J2s, which turn out to be power-rated at 30 (per chassis) into 8 and 60 into 4 (from 30WPC into 8 or 4 in stereo).
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Jeffrey,

How did your sanders go? Have you got hold of a pair with the amp as well? This is actually one hybrid stat combination that is real value for money. The Quads on their own are superb stats but it takes a bit of extra spending to achieve that state of the art level with the right front end and back end gear.

I think the sanders will sound very good given a reference quality preamp to match with the magtech. Also, roger provides excellent service and stands by his speakers. Can't go wrong there.

The other main thing is, sanders gear is still made in the US. Whereas the Quads are now coming out of a licensed Quad factory in China. Nothing wrong with that but in terms of high-end audio, coming from the original country as designed gives you a bit more of that peace of mind...

After about merely 2 years, I had to replace one of the panels on one stat, it was still within warranty but gave me that "made in China" feeling. Then again my maggies - mg 3.5 tweeters went bust just after a year and half, and those were directly from the US. So I guess you never know, plus now I really don't care if I do need to replace stat panels every now and then because they sound so bloody fantastic, to me it is worth keeping them.

If you listen to classical, I think that extra oomph can be delivered from the sanders, largely due to that integrated bass driver. Plus they can go quite loud, the input power is quite high. My only issue is at very high volumes they are not really heavy speakers, compared to the Quads. So when play back levels increase they don't give me that rock solid feel. Plus the panel's bracing are wood, not steel or aluminum.

At the end of the day, I sincerely think that stats should not be played loud at all. That is not there intended design. To capture the full music reproduction, all nuances, transient details and remarkable soundstage is what stats are for. Whereas ribbons can certainly handle a greater input load. But that's a totally different ball game compared to stats. ..

Have a good one, and let us know how the sanders are fairing. Cheers mate,
RJ
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

RJ, apparently I've confused you. The 'next evolution of my system' is intended to be the combo of the c-j ET250S and the Sanders 10ds. The beginning of that is adding the '250 to the Avanti III-based system. I've ordered the '250.
jasper
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jasper »

Great thread and thanks for all your thoughts about Quads. I'm a huge planar fan and agree wholeheartedly that there is nothing like a well tuned pair of Quads for capturing the pure emotion of the music. The first time I ever heard a pair of ESL63's was back in the 80's. They were playing quietly off to the side at a dealers 3rd level down show room (they were mostly selling B&W's) as I walked by the open door. Stopped me in my tracks! It was a solo Cello track, and the tone, texture, and presence was absolutely captivating. I only had $1500 at the time and these cost a very pricey $4,000, so I had to pass on the Quads for a while but I never forgot that sound. Eventually I was able to afford a used pair of ESL63's and have them set up with an ET3SE and a Classic 60SE as my office system. When I just want to do some quiet relaxing listening, thats where I go.

But the story continues...... I bought some 989's for my main system then replaced them with 2905's when those came out. These were being driven by my GAT preamp with Premier 8 monoblocks (300 watts/channel) that I have had fully upgraded to near ART status with KT120 tubes. The Quads (both pair) firmly trounced a pair of JM Lab Utopias that were crazy expensive and despite incredible reviews, I found to be essentially unlistenable in my room no matter how I set them up. The Utopias sadly sit off in a corner to this day! Well eventually, a panel went out in the 989's and then another panel tanked in the 2905's.

That resulted in a desperate search for a repair facility and led to a guy named PK at Quads Unlimited. He took my 989's on trade plus some cash for a pair of "Customs" as he calls them; totally hand made from scratch, upgraded electronics, well braced wooden frames, and 5 panels per speaker instead of 4 or 6. IMO, these are a major improvement over the 2905's and still preserve all of the Quad's native virtues. Plus they play a lot louder than the stock Quads and that was always my one complaint about Quads. The stock Quads would sometimes cutoff at about 103-105 db just as a powerful and often important crescendo would appear. So I'd sit with my remote in hand and dial down the volume at certain points in a piece of music or just not play some albums, and that compromised the experience as you can well imagine. Well, I've never had that problem with PK's Customs. They play loud, stay pure, and remain perfectly tuned no problem.

Right now I've got a pair of Maggie 3.7i's with Mye Stands, in my main system and they sound wonderful. But it won't be long until the Customs are back in their place. Even though the Maggie's are outstanding and this system (imo) will firmly trounce many of the best dynamic speakers, I miss the natural sound of the Quads. They are simply addicting. I also have a relatively new pair of Acoustic Zen Crescendo 2's and those are terrific speakers with a very "planar type" of sound for dynamic speakers, but these are off to the side right now too, sitting patiently next to the Utopias waiting for another chance! (yes I am a bit crazy about this stuff!)

The other semi disappointing characteristic about Quads is the lack of deep base. Please don't get me wrong on this; the bass that is there is really, really good if you get them set up right. But they don't go much below 40z and I found myself wanting to explore the subterranean frequencies and got my hands on a pair of REL G2's. After hours of tweaking the placement, volume, and crossover frequency of the subs, I settled on a xo of 39 hz and a volume of 9 with ironically, both the Maggies and the Quads. At this setting and the way I have them placed, the integration is close to seamless. Plus, even with music that doesn't go low, the subs seem to have a positive effect on the harmonics of everything and the music is much more open and alive. At this point, I just wouldn't want to listen without the subs in my system, but again that's personal and nothing against the Quads.

A couple of final thoughts. I have found that set up is really critical with the Quads. I like to get them up off the floor on 4" thick Mapleshade plinths with brass spiked footers and then measure them in place to 1/16" - 1/8" tolerance. Toe in seems to be really important too, and as stated above, they need a good distance from the front wall. I have heard a difference when the speakers are off by even a quarter inch or less in any direction. Below is a picture of the PK Customs when I was working on placement. The plinths have now been replaced with 4" thick black maple and I built a platform that raises the couch 5" off the floor both with great results.
Attachments
IMG_9649.JPG
IMG_9649.JPG (2.77 MiB) Viewed 4131 times
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey there Jasper,
It certainly seems that you've had a good run with panels and Quad for that matter. I really like your setup, and yes I can definitely imagine how your custom Quads would be better than the stock. Infact I really don't know why the hec they even put out a new version called the 2912, it's basically the same panel and internal wiring, only the layout is better organized and a few cosmetic changes- that's about it!

Improving on the overall sound of the 2905 is clearly a viable project and one that if done successfully can be the ultimate stat panel to have. Similarly to Alistair Sme man, his quads are remarkable because I've heard a similar reinforced pair of Quads that were simply stunning.

Having said that, this project/hobby/passion almost turned into an obsession, being in this craze for nearly 35 years... now I'm enjoying the simplest system I ever owned, even enjoying this far greater than the Wilson's that nearly left me homeless, all I can say is "there'll never be another Quad."

Enjoy your Quads mate, I am sure what you've done is truly worth it. Let us know of further improvements, always good to learn from others positive experiences.

Cheers, and have a good one.
RJ
jasper
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jasper »

Thanks RJ and appreciate your in depth posts above. With the Quads the system is so revealing that it does expose anything upstream for better or worse. So I just ordered a new turntable; VPI Signature (classic 3 with 3D arm). My current table is a 25 year old Merrill Heirloom spring suspension/ Jelco 750D arm that I suspect is not tracking very well and the motor might be a little off speed. Hoping this TT will fix things up and for now at least the system will be done....... (until the next tweek comes along! )