Martin Logan CLX Art

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
miatadan
Advanced
Advanced

Martin Logan CLX Art

Post by miatadan »

I always loved panel speakers :D first pair of ESL was Acoustat Spectra 22... Than had Martin Logan SL3 speakers, than Magnapan MG 1.6

now have Martin Logan Spires since Oct 2011 but dream speakers are the Martin Logan CLX Art but @ $25,000 US pr...this will remain a dream

Tube audio equipment always worked well with electrostatics to me and always liked tube preamp with solid state power amp

Dan
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Martin Logan CLX Art

Post by admin »

I think we both are people who fell in love with the planar speaker sound. When I was first considering buying my last pair of speakers, it was really down to my Martin Logan Vantages, and some Magnepan 3.7's. Ultimately I decided to go with the Vantages. I think you really need a "big" panel is you want to fully utilize the low end. I really liked the hybrid electrostatic panel/woofer design of the Margin Logan's.

I too crave the CLX Art's. They are quite expensive. Maybe one day? :)

I think using a tube preamp is a great idea as it definitely gives a "warm" sound to some of the harsher digital sources. Using tube amps with flat panel speakers is ok but I think you need some serious power to drive them properly. To get tube amps of this magnitude they start becoming quite expensive. My personal setup is Conrad Johnson preamp and amp with tube components. My amp is a Conrad Johnson Evolution 2000 that has a tube input stage and solid state output. Kind of best of both worlds. Rated at 200 watts into 8 ohm (the Vantages are 4 ohm). I have had no issues with driving the Vantages.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
miatadan
Advanced
Advanced

Post by miatadan »

Will be phoning Conrad Johnson to see if they do " industry accmmodation sale" as I been working in audio industry since 1987 .... there seems to be very few dealers in Canada since Korbon Trading no longer around.
I am thinking ET3 SE be good match with McIntosh MC302 amplifier....rarely see meters go past 30 watts on peaks.
The Martin Logan Spires are 91db efficent and built in amps for woofers help.

Dan
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think giving CJ a call is probably a good idea. I don't think they sell directly, but at the very least they would be able to give you contact information to the nearest authorized dealer in your general area.

Having efficient speakers is clearly going to give you a lot of options which is great. Of course it also depends on how loud you play your speakers. I find that I don't play them extremely loud so as long as your not getting any clipping, it should be fine.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
miatadan
Advanced
Advanced

Post by miatadan »

admin wrote:I think giving CJ a call is probably a good idea. I don't think they sell directly, but at the very least they would be able to give you contact information to the nearest authorized dealer in your general area.

Having efficient speakers is clearly going to give you a lot of options which is great. Of course it also depends on how loud you play your speakers. I find that I don't play them extremely loud so as long as your not getting any clipping, it should be fine.
with my amp showing 30 watts peaks and last number on meters is 600 watts , no chance of clipping....I have owned stereo equipment from first system in 1977 to now and never damaged speaker system yet

Dan
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

I just found this thread and I want to share with you this CLXs review. I am a CLXs owner and I think it worth every penny. Read this about the CLXs.
https://www.tonepublications.com/review ... ubwoofers/

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Good post Robbo mate!

May I add, that review was done with the Decent subs... so this is going a while back. With the new BF series subs, that performance of LF detail us even better!

The whole presentation is further enhanced with the BF subs.
Cheers, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Great!

I am wondering why Tone would review these years after they were discontinued.

I am having trouble finding the actual review. The link that is accessible to me is just a picture and caption.

And since this thread has been resurrected after nearly a decade, people who want to fill in the gaps might like to see this more recent thread with over two hundred posts.

https://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/vie ... php?t=1389

It was started in 2018 and the most recent post (as I write this) was in September of this year.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/clx-art

Price when discontinued was $30k.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, that price is about right.

The last pair of CLX Art's sold down unda for 50grand AUD.
It was the last of the mohicans!

I think my particular ML dealer sold the very last pair as new with full warranty... although there were a few other pairs floating around for much less, termed as demo or floor stock models. Not sure if these were sold off with full warranty but they don't seemed to be there anymore, so most probably they were.

The BF series subs are still going strong, and some owners who've bought hybrid stats, are also using BF subs. I'm just wondering whether it's overkill in the bass dept... but then again as Robbo says, their system their ears!

Cheers, RJ